Re: [linux] How to figure out where Apache is installed

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 5, 2005
        On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 23:27:42 +0100
        Godwin Stewart <gstewart@...> wrote:

        > cat /proc/12345/cmdline

        Just out of interest, (as I had missed out proc for one thing) what
        would be BSD alternative be? I have often needed things such as network
        stats which can be read from /proc (mainly as I want to patch a network
        monitor for BSD!)
      • Raquel Rice
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 5, 2005
          On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 23:27:42 +0100
          Godwin Stewart <gstewart@...> wrote:

          Can't you also just do:
          # ps aux

          When I do this on a Debian machine I get:
          www-data 17147 0.0 1.3 210804 10428 ? S 06:25 0:01
          /usr/sbin/apache
          www-data 17148 0.0 1.4 211884 11048 ? S 06:25 0:02
          /usr/sbin/apache
          www-data 17149 0.0 1.3 211044 10584 ? S 06:25 0:01
          /usr/sbin/apache
          www-data 17150 0.0 1.3 210872 10580 ? S 06:25 0:02
          /usr/sbin/apache
          www-data 17151 0.0 1.3 210872 10552 ? S 06:25 0:02
          /usr/sbin/apache
          www-data 17367 0.0 1.3 210908 10580 ? S 06:32 0:01
          /usr/sbin/apache
          www-data 22581 0.0 1.3 210844 10476 ? S 11:09 0:01
          /usr/sbin/apache

          --
          Raquel
        • steve
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 5, 2005
            Godwin Stewart wrote:

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            locate httpd.conf, locate apachectl

            those two files will give you a great start

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 5, 2005
                --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@e...> wrote:
                > Just out of interest, (as I had missed out proc for one thing) what
                > would be BSD alternative be? I have often needed things such as
                > network stats which can be read from /proc (mainly as I want to patch
                > a network monitor for BSD!)

                That isn't part of procfs strictly speaking. As far as FreeBSD is
                converned (I don't know about other BSDs) procfs is the process
                filesystem which is available in exactly the same place as its linux
                variant as long as you mount it explicitly (it isn't there in a
                default FBSD setup) and as long as you compile it into the kernel
                (requires the PROCFS and PSEUDOFS options) or you kldload the
                procfs.ko module.

                --
                G. Stewart - gstewart@...
              • Michael Kjorling
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 5, 2005
                  On 2005-01-05 23:27 +0100, gstewart@... wrote:
                  > ps auwx | grep httpd | grep root

                  I would not include the pipe into `grep root', but that's just a
                  matter of taste. Minimal hassle, especially as we don't even know if
                  the httpd *is* running as root... It can always be added if the output
                  from the first grep pipe is too daunting.

                  Another possible solution would be to use `find' (or some other
                  utility) to locate the file `httpd.pid', and check from where that
                  particular process is running (using either /proc/$$/cmdline or
                  /proc/$$/cwd, with appropriate $$ substitution).

                  Just like in Perl, there's more than one way to do it.

                  --
                  Michael Kjörling, michael@... - http://michael.kjorling.com/
                  * ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Against HTML Mail, Proprietary Attachments *
                  • Michael Kjorling
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 5, 2005
                      On 2005-01-06 00:25 +0100, gstewart@... wrote:
                      > The parent process *has* to run as root to bind to ports 80 and 443.

                      No offense Godwin, but I don't see where in the thread it says that
                      this particular Apache installation (or rather, any of them) listens
                      to privileged ports...

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 5, 2005
                            On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 00:25:49 +0100
                            Godwin Stewart <gstewart@...> wrote:

                            > The parent process *has* to run as root to bind to ports 80 and 443.

                            OT, not with OpenBSD:

                            $ ps auxw | grep http
                            www 15889 0.0 1.7 1052 1624 ?? Ss 10:33AM 0:02.20 httpd:
                            parent [chroot /var/www] (httpd)
                            ... other child processes running as www
                          • Brendan Bispham
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                              On Wednesday 05 January 2005 22:55, Godwin Stewart wrote:
                              > <raquel-linux@...> wrote:
                              > > Can't you also just do:
                              > > # ps aux
                              >
                              > Most of the time, yes.
                              >
                              > However, if the fully qualified path to the executable wasn't given on the
                              > command line, it won't appear in the 'ps' listing.

                              If the fully qualified path doesn't appear in ps aux, will it appear
                              in /proc/n/cmdline? It doesn't seem to on mine...
                            • Godwin Stewart
                                • Brendan Bispham
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                                    On Thursday 06 January 2005 10:54, Godwin Stewart wrote:
                                    > What you need to do actually is stat the /proc/n/exe symlink and see where
                                    > it's pointing to. That's your executable.

                                    Oh yeah - ta...
                                  • Horror Vacui
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                                      On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:08:44 -0800 (PST)
                                      J wrote:

                                      > I have a system that I inherited that has multiple directories where
                                      > Apaches is or was running from. How can I figure out which one is
                                      > actually in use?

                                      I'd say a pretty good way (a good way as in "reliable", not as in
                                      "easy") to determine this is to reconstruct the startup sequence of the
                                      machine. Find out whether apache is started as a deamon or through
                                      inetd/xinetd, and examine the scripts that start it. If running as a
                                      deamon, you'll probably find a /etc/init.d/apache (or apachectl or httpd
                                      or whatever) script, which is linked to a default runlevel of your
                                      machine. In the script, the full path to the httpd binary will be
                                      defined, either as a variable (possibly sourced from another file), or
                                      generated by a construct the kind of "$httpd_binary = `which httpd`",
                                      or, rather unlikely, by specifying the full path in the code active when
                                      the script is called with "start" as an argument.

                                      Just trace back to the point where init takes control. This approach is
                                      also the most likely to let you know if some non-default options are
                                      used (say, using a config file from a non-standard location or a switch
                                      letting a daemon behave in a way other than you expect it to). The
                                      drawback is of course that it isn't exactly a trivial task sometimes.
                                      Finding out exactly from which file one variable or other is sourced can
                                      be trying on the nerves, at times making you go through several files
                                      until you find out what you need. Needless to say, once you found it
                                      out, until you need this the next time you'll have forgotten all about
                                      it and you'll have to redo all the work ;)

                                      Cheers

                                      --
                                      Horror Vacui

                                      Registered Linux user #257714

                                      - and keep following the GNU.
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                                        On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:44:13 +0100
                                        Godwin Stewart <gstewart@...> wrote:

                                        > > $ ps auxw | grep http
                                        > > www 15889 0.0 1.7 1052 1624 ?? Ss 10:33AM 0:02.20
                                        > > httpd: parent [chroot /var/www] (httpd)
                                        > > ... other child processes running as www
                                        >
                                        > And that's the crux of it. They're *child* processes.

                                        All the other processes are child of this parent, as you see its there,
                                        running as www.

                                        Its quite a pain in some respects as it's rooted to /var/www all
                                        libraries must be beneath it.

                                        I'm pretty sure that no element is run by root, certainly not in the ps
                                        table anyhow, perhaps there is a wild exception for port 80 to be bound
                                        by www, although incredibly unconventional? It would pay for me to read
                                        the documentation before making assumptions of course.
                                      • TheMiyaca
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                                          > All the other processes are child of this parent, as you see its
                                          there,
                                          > running as www.
                                          >
                                          > Its quite a pain in some respects as it's rooted to /var/www all
                                          > libraries must be beneath it.
                                          >
                                          > I'm pretty sure that no element is run by root, certainly not in
                                          the ps
                                          > table anyhow, perhaps there is a wild exception for port 80 to be
                                          bound
                                          > by www, although incredibly unconventional? It would pay for me to
                                          read
                                          > the documentation before making assumptions of course.

                                          the parent process runs as root. Here is an example.

                                          root 24302 0.0 3.9 14476 10284 ? S 12:48
                                          0:01 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL
                                          nobody 24339 0.0 4.1 14740 10824 ? S 12:48
                                          0:04 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL
                                          nobody 24340 0.0 4.1 14772 10804 ? S 12:48
                                          0:04 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL
                                          nobody 24341 0.0 4.1 14680 10760 ? S 12:48
                                          0:04 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL
                                          nobody 24342 0.0 4.1 14644 10720 ? S 12:48
                                          0:04 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL
                                          nobody 24343 0.0 4.1 14684 10744 ? S 12:48
                                          0:04 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL
                                          nobody 24348 0.0 4.1 14656 10744 ? S 12:48
                                          0:04 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL
                                          nobody 24351 0.0 4.2 14748 10836 ? S 12:48
                                          0:04 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL
                                          nobody 24353 0.0 4.1 14760 10796 ? S 12:48
                                          0:04 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL
                                          nobody 24354 0.0 4.1 14648 10736 ? S 12:48
                                          0:04 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL
                                          nobody 24360 0.0 4.1 14740 10808 ? S 12:48
                                          0:03 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL