Re: [linux] two - init.d folders-what is the need?

  • zavandi
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
      On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:01:21 -0800 (PST), com bio
      <combiofriends@...> wrote:
      > It is found that there are two init.d folders in all
      > flavours of linux and same files are found in both the
      > folders.can some one explain why we have two copies of
      > same files?

      For compatibility reasons, I would guess. They are the same directory though:

      # ls -ld /etc/init.d
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Dec 31 2003 /etc/init.d -> rc.d/init.d
    • Lindsay
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
        most likely one of them is just a symlink pointing to the real
        directory...

        http://www.geocities.com/combiofriends/deepan.html