two - init.d folders-what is the need?

  • com bio
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2004
      Hello,
      It is found that there are two init.d folders in all
      flavours of linux and same files are found in both the
      folders.can some one explain why we have two copies of
      same files? please forgive my ignorance..

      thanks and regards

      Deepan Charkavarthy N

      =====
      link to deepan's home page: http://www.geocities.com/combiofriends/deepan.html

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • zavandi
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
        On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:01:21 -0800 (PST), com bio
        <combiofriends@...> wrote:
        > It is found that there are two init.d folders in all
        > flavours of linux and same files are found in both the
        > folders.can some one explain why we have two copies of
        > same files?

        For compatibility reasons, I would guess. They are the same directory though:

        # ls -ld /etc/init.d
        lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Dec 31 2003 /etc/init.d -> rc.d/init.d
      • Lindsay
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
          most likely one of them is just a symlink pointing to the real
          directory...