Re: [linux] Linux Remote Installation

  • Rahul Paul
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2004
      If you have a RIS (Win2000) or RDP (Win2003) server setup, then you
      can create a installation instance of Linux on it. Although I have not
      created Linux installation instance on Windows practically, but
      theoritically I think it should work. Atleast worth a try if you have
      the server setup in place. You can use this for installation for your
      PXE clients.
      Otherwise if your servers are all linux based servers then you can
      alternatively setup Linux PXE server. For this you would need to have
      a proper DHCP & a DNS server in place too. It helps.
      If you can afford 3rd party softwares for remote deployments, then
      there are a few products that you might consider taking a look at.
      They are: Norton Ghost. Altiris Deployment Server & Veritas Op-Force.

      Regards
      - Rahul

      On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:10:15 -0500 (CDT), Rodolfo Josÿffffe9
      Castellanos Jaimes <rodolfojcj@...> wrote:
      > Hi friends, I hope that you are very well.
      >
      > I know an installation system for Windows that is RIS
      > (Remote Installation System). Does exist a similar
      > method for GNU/Linux remote installations? If yes,
      > which is it?
      >
      > I'm using Red Hat 9 distribution in a network with 20
      > computers and they don't have neither CD-ROM unit nor
      > Floppy unit. They have only the NIC with PXE support.
      >
      > Thanks for your time and your help.
      >
      > Bye, Rodolfo.

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Rahul Paul - The GREATEST Of All...