Re: [linux] No Route to Host.

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 8, 2004
      Michael Kjorling wrote:
      > 2004-10-08 12:09, spatz@... wrote in <4166BBCA.8040906@...>:
      >
      >>>I am trying to figure out why a machine on my network is now saying "no
      >>>route to host" when I try to connect to it or connect to other machines.
      >

      > Missing/incorrect kernel IP routing table. /sbin/route is your friend.

      I have checked that as well. All the entries taht were tehre before
      this happened are still there. The no route to host came on out of the
      blue. I checked the connections at the switch, and the LEDs for that PC
      flash on then off ( when I was trying to ping the other PC on the network.)

      --
      http://s87365085.onlinehome.us/
    • Vijaykumar V K
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 8, 2004
        On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 23:57:41 -0400, Steve <spatz@...> wrote:

        > I have checked that as well. All the entries taht were tehre before
        > this happened are still there. The no route to host came on out of the
        > blue. I checked the connections at the switch, and the LEDs for that PC
        > flash on then off ( when I was trying to ping the other PC on the network.)

        You can probably try to ping to other machines in your
        netwrok..if it is pinging properly, then you need to probably check
        your firewall settings in your machine using iptables -L..

        Hope that will work ..:-)

        --
        Regards,
        Vijay
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 9, 2004
          Vijaykumar V K wrote:
          > On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 23:57:41 -0400, Steve <spatz@...> wrote:
          >

          >>I have checked that as well. All the entries taht were tehre before
          >>this happened are still there. The no route to host came on out of the
          >>blue. I checked the connections at the switch, and the LEDs for that PC
          >>flash on then off ( when I was trying to ping the other PC on the network.)
          >>

          > You can probably try to ping to other machines in your
          > netwrok..if it is pinging properly, then you need to probably check
          > your firewall settings in your machine using iptables -L..
          >
          > Hope that will work ..:-)

          The iptables entires were unchanged as well.

          --
          http://s87365085.onlinehome.us/
        • Wolf Dreamer
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 10, 2004
            (1) turn iptables off.

            (2) manually set a default route and see if that works.

            That would be the first steps I would take. if it does then make sure your
            default setup has the correct default route.
          • Steve
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10, 2004
              Wolf Dreamer wrote:
              > (1) turn iptables off.
              >
              > (2) manually set a default route and see if that works.
              >
              > That would be the first steps I would take. if it does then make sure your
              > default setup has the correct default route.

              It turns out it was the cable. But not the connection to the ailing
              machine, but the other machine on the network. I had just made sure it
              was plugged in, but after removing it and reconnecting, the network came
              back to normal.

              --
              http://s87365085.onlinehome.us/