Re: [linux] GMail

  • Baris
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 1, 2004
      sure i really mean that
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Ed" <ed@...>
      To: <linux@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 10:17 PM
      Subject: [linux] GMail

      http://www.yahoogroups.com
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      DISCLAIMER:
      This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, forwarding, copying or use of any of the information is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

      The opinions expressed in this message belong to sender alone. There is no implied endorsement by TRISTIT.

      This e-mail has been scanned for all known computer viruses.
    • Ed
      • Steve Rieger
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 2, 2004
          sure

          • Raquel Rice
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 2, 2004
              On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:17:54 +0100
              Ed <ed@...> wrote:

              > Anyone want a gmail invite?

              What's gmail?

              --
              Raquel
              We must guard against becoming so engrossed in the specific nature

              --
              Raquel
              We must guard against becoming so engrossed in the specific nature
              of the roots and bark of the trees of knowledge as to miss the
              meaning and grandeur of the forest they compose.
              --George S. Patton
            • Michael Kjorling
              • Ed
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 2, 2004
                    On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:17:40 +0000, Michael Kjorling <michael@...>
                    wrote:

                    > > What's gmail?
                    >
                    > Nothing that has anything to do with Linux, that's for sure...

                    Ah, but the next bit coming along does...

                    > (It's Google's new webmail service.)

                    which is unwelcome at this MTA. I cannot send to gmail and gmail cannot send
                    to me. I do not want my e-mail hanging around in someone's gmail folder for
                    google to practise their data-mining on it.

                    --
                    G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
                    Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.8.1-em8300)
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 2, 2004
                      I'd like one ! Those last few were all used up.
                    • Ed
                      • Raquel Rice
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 2, 2004
                          On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:17:40 +0000
                          Michael Kjorling <michael@...> wrote:

                          > 2004-09-02 13:15, raquel-linux@... wrote in
                          > <20040902131505.0be433d8.raquel-linux@...>:
                          > > What's gmail?
                          >
                          > Nothing that has anything to do with Linux, that's for sure...
                          >
                          > (It's Google's new webmail service.)

                          Isn't that the "service" where they track what you say and who you
                          say it to, so they can "target you with advertising"?

                          Oh yeah. I really want them to know my deepest, darkest secrets so
                          they can be served with a subpoena and spill their guts.

                          Why would I want it? (my mini-rant certainly is not aimed at you,
                          Michael)

                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 2, 2004
                            On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:17:40 +0000
                            Michael Kjorling <michael@...> wrote:

                            > 2004-09-02 13:15, raquel-linux@... wrote in
                            > <20040902131505.0be433d8.raquel-linux@...>:
                            > > What's gmail?
                            >
                            > Nothing that has anything to do with Linux, that's for sure...
                            >
                            > (It's Google's new webmail service.)
                            >
                            > - --
                            > /"\ Michael Kjörling

                            Oh yeah. Thank you for enlightening me.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 2, 2004
                              On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 21:18:30 +0100
                              Ed <ed@...> wrote:

                              > On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:17:54 +0100
                              > Ed <ed@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Anyone want a gmail invite?

                              <snip>

                              > .. Add a few more gigs of storage to your system. The day will
                              > come when we can boot off of it.
                              >
                              > - --
                              > Ed.

                              Gee thanks. Don't count on me for your "brownie points".

                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 2, 2004
                                  On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 21:38:56 +0100
                                  Ed <ed@...> wrote:

                                  > On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:29:52 -0700
                                  > Raquel Rice <raquel-linux@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Isn't that the "service" where they track what you say and who
                                  > > you say it to, so they can "target you with advertising"?
                                  >
                                  > According to their welcome page its just google ads on email. They
                                  > just apply the same logic to the content of the mail as they do to
                                  > search results.
                                  >
                                  > This reminds me of the Windows 95 Beta scare that they send a FAT
                                  > copy through MSN ISP. It boils down to 'are egg heads going to
                                  > read this'. Its not profitable for them to so they probably wont.
                                  >
                                  > They also state there is no human reading the mail. I admin many
                                  > mail boxes, I tbh care not for the content. I just like to stress
                                  > PC's with load.

                                  Ah, but the downside is that their computers know what is being sent
                                  in your emails. That means that a person can if they care enough.
                                  Let's say that I start sending a lot emails about hating a world
                                  leader and wanting to create a bomb? There's nothing in that system
                                  which will send up a flare? There's no way the minions of that
                                  world leader can't get their hands on that info? And "the cow
                                  jumped over the moon" too!

                                  --
                                  Raquel
                                  We must guard against becoming so engrossed in the specific nature
                                  of the roots and bark of the trees of knowledge as to miss the
                                  meaning and grandeur of the forest they compose.
                                  --George S. Patton
                                • The Lord
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 2, 2004
                                    yes plz i want one
                                    fn_zalord@...

                                    sure i really mean that
                                    • Paul Malcher
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 2, 2004

                                        <20040902222637.28337.qmail@...>:
                                        > > yes plz i want one
                                        >
                                        > And you found it fitting to inform close to 2,000
                                        > people around the
                                        > world of this fact, all the while violating several
                                        > netiquette rules
                                        > in the process? (Lack of trimming, top-posting and
                                        > sending a private
                                        > reply to a mailing list just to mention the ones I
                                        > can come up with
                                        > off the top of my head.)

                                        Hi, good god who are you the netiquette god? Listen,
                                        you cannot expect people to follow what you call
                                        netiquette every time. I'm willing to bet most don't.
                                        Just chill out about this, no need to go over board. I
                                        do understand though why you're pissed off, however
                                        you think blowing you're lid at some twit is gonna
                                        help? Other than make you feel better, I doubt it will
                                        do much. Just chill.

                                        =====
                                        Sincerely,

                                        Paul Malcher
                                        Geek Garage Web Services,LLC
                                        http://www.ggws.net

                                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
                                      • Edward Schwartz
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 2, 2004
                                          This thread is offtopic, please end it. If you want a gmail invite,
                                          email the OP off list.
                                        • Wolf Dreamer
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 2, 2004
                                            Paul Malcher writes:

                                            > Hi, good god who are you the netiquette god? Listen,
                                            > you cannot expect people to follow what you call
                                            > netiquette every time. I'm willing to bet most don't.
                                            > Just chill out about this, no need to go over board. I
                                            > do understand though why you're pissed off, however
                                            > you think blowing you're lid at some twit is gonna
                                            > help? Other than make you feel better, I doubt it will
                                            > do much. Just chill.

                                            sometimes there is no substitute for a rolled up newspaper.
                                          • Steve
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 2, 2004
                                              Godwin Stewart wrote:
                                              > which is unwelcome at this MTA. I cannot send to gmail and gmail cannot send
                                              > to me. I do not want my e-mail hanging around in someone's gmail folder for
                                              > google to practise their data-mining on it.

                                              Huh. You think Yahoo isn't data mining our posts on this list?

                                              --
                                              http://s87365085.onlinehome.us/
                                            • Steve
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 2, 2004
                                                Raquel Rice wrote:

                                                > Ah, but the downside is that their computers know what is being sent
                                                > in your emails. That means that a person can if they care enough.
                                                > Let's say that I start sending a lot emails about hating a world
                                                > leader and wanting to create a bomb? There's nothing in that system
                                                > which will send up a flare? There's no way the minions of that
                                                > world leader can't get their hands on that info? And "the cow
                                                > jumped over the moon" too!

                                                Any mail server can do that now. Besides, wouldn't you send such things
                                                via PGP or GnuPG?

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Sep 2, 2004
                                                  On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:30:44 -0400
                                                  Steve <spatz@...> wrote:

                                                  > Raquel Rice wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > Ah, but the downside is that their computers know what is being
                                                  > > sent in your emails. That means that a person can if they care
                                                  > > enough. Let's say that I start sending a lot emails about hating
                                                  > > a world leader and wanting to create a bomb? There's nothing in
                                                  > > that system which will send up a flare? There's no way the
                                                  > > minions of that world leader can't get their hands on that info?
                                                  > > And "the cow
                                                  > > jumped over the moon" too!
                                                  > >

                                                  > Any mail server can do that now. Besides, wouldn't you send such
                                                  > things via PGP or GnuPG?

                                                  I suppose ideally that would be the case. My luck is that the other
                                                  side wouldn't know what to do and would quote me without encryption.

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Sep 3, 2004
                                                    On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 22:19:14 -0400, Edward Schwartz <edmcman@...>
                                                    wrote:

                                                    > This thread is offtopic, please end it. If you want a gmail invite,
                                                    > email the OP off list.

                                                    I'm partly responsible for this for letting the invite show up on the list
                                                    in the first place. I (stupidly?) assumed that people would have enough
                                                    common sense to reply off-list, and before the thread degenerated Ed posted
                                                    that link which would enable Linux users to remote-mount their gmail storage
                                                    space, which kind of brought things back on topic.

                                                    --
                                                    G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
                                                    Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.8.1-em8300)
                                                    The only person to get all of his work done by Friday
                                                    was Robinson Crusoe
                                                  • Jesse
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Sep 3, 2004