SATA Drivers

  • Robert J. Bell

      I have an Abit KV8-MAX3 motherboard with a SI SATA Raid controller. I
      did a google search but I really didnt find any definite answers. Can
      anyone tell me if this controller is supported in Linux? Its the
      **SiliconImage 3114 SATA Driver*

      Thanks

      Robert*
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 27, 2004
        On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:43:50 -0700, "Robert J. Bell" <rob@...>
        wrote:

        > I have an Abit KV8-MAX3 motherboard with a SI SATA Raid controller. I
        > did a google search but I really didnt find any definite answers. Can
        > anyone tell me if this controller is supported in Linux? Its the
        > **SiliconImage 3114 SATA Driver*

        It definitely is supported by the 2.6.8.1 kernel. Don't know about earler
        2.6.x kernels.

        http://www.bonivet.net/misc/sata-screenshot.png

        Kernel 2.4.27 doesn't appear to support SATA at all unless I'm looking in
        the wrong place.

        --
        G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
        Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.8.1-em8300)

          | It definitely is supported by the 2.6.8.1 kernel. Don't know about
          | earler 2.6.x kernels.
          |
          | http://www.bonivet.net/misc/sata-screenshot.png
          |
          | Kernel 2.4.27 doesn't appear to support SATA at all unless I'm
          | looking in the wrong place.

          Thanks. I guess I will just have to try it out. I assume that if
          there is a working driver it should see an existing Raid0 array from
          that controller, right?
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 27, 2004
            On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:01:28 -0700, "Robert J. Bell" <rob@...>
            wrote:

            > Thanks. I guess I will just have to try it out. I assume that if
            > there is a working driver it should see an existing Raid0 array from
            > that controller, right?

            Is the RAID array hardware or software? If hardware, then the kernel will
            see a hard drive, period.

            --
            G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
            Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.8.1-em8300)
            Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying
            in hospitals dying of nothing.
          • Robert J. Bell
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 27, 2004
              >>Thanks. I guess I will just have to try it out. I assume that if
              >>there is a working driver it should see an existing Raid0 array from
              >>that controller, right?
              >>

              >Is the RAID array hardware or software? If hardware, then the kernel will
              >see a hard drive, period.

              Hardware. Thanks - I'll post my results I a few days.
            • Paul Malcher
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 28, 2004
                --- Godwin Stewart <gstewart@...> wrote:

                > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:43:50 -0700, "Robert J. Bell"
                > <rob@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > I have an Abit KV8-MAX3 motherboard with a SI SATA
                > Raid controller. I
                > > did a google search but I really didnt find any
                > definite answers. Can
                > > anyone tell me if this controller is supported in
                > Linux? Its the
                > > **SiliconImage 3114 SATA Driver*

                Hi, I know 2.6.x does I have the same chipset, and it
                works. 2.6.x should work. I know by expiriance all the
                way back to 2.6.4 does.

                =====
                Sincerely,

                Paul Malcher
                Geek Garage Web Services,LLC
                http://www.ggws.net

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • C. Tresenriter
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 2 7:44 PM
                  "Robert J. Bell" <rob@...> wrote:

                  > I have an Abit KV8-MAX3 motherboard with a SI SATA Raid
                  > controller. I did a google search but I really didnt find any
                  > definite answers. Can anyone tell me if this controller is
                  > supported in Linux? Its the**SiliconImage 3114 SATA Driver*
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Robert*

                  I just bought a StarTech Slotsaver PCI SATA controller card.
                  My searches have turned up that both the 3112 and 3114 are
                  supported. It said somewhere that the SI3114 driver is in the 2.6
                  kernels... though I don't have it working yet due to two defective
                  WD hard disks.

                  Be sure and post your results for me. :-)