Xorg

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
      The recent thread about vid chips and XFree makes me wonder--now that
      Slack has officially changed to xorg, what are most people doing? I
      changed over a few BSD boxes--it was relatively painless if one followed
      the instructions. I'm not very politically into this, and am not doing
      it for ideological reasons. I'm doing it because it seems that most of
      the Linux and probably BSD people will be concentrating on xorg rather
      than XFree for the moment.

      One does wonder what will become of XFree. There was some controversy
      with my beloved Arch Linux, which has been using XFree 4.4.x but also
      offers xorg, though one has to dig a bit to figure out how to do that.

      So, what are most people doing?

      --

      Scott

      Buffy: People to see, demons to kill.
    • Mike Peters
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
        On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 17:40:27 -0400
        Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

        > The recent thread about vid chips and XFree makes me wonder--now that
        > Slack has officially changed to xorg, what are most people doing? I
        > changed over a few BSD boxes--it was relatively painless if one
        > followed the instructions. I'm not very politically into this, and am
        > not doing it for ideological reasons. I'm doing it because it seems
        > that most of the Linux and probably BSD people will be concentrating
        > on xorg rather than XFree for the moment.
        >
        > One does wonder what will become of XFree. There was some controversy
        > with my beloved Arch Linux, which has been using XFree 4.4.x but also
        > offers xorg, though one has to dig a bit to figure out how to do that.
        >
        > So, what are most people doing?

        I switched my main desktop a couple of months back when Dropline 2.6.0
        was released as it went with Xorg. So far so good. At least I haven't
        noticed any real difference - oh, apart from when I changed my graphics
        card and spent an age changing and re-changing the driver in XF86Config
        and wondering why it wasn't working. I hadn't realised everything was in
        xorg.conf now....Doh!! I've seen a few people mention problems with
        NVidia drivers but mainly in special circumstances and I'm sure those
        problems will be ironed out soon. Besides, as the current code base is
        very close to XFree86-4.4 anyway I'd hazard a guess those people would
        see the same problems with the latest XFree anyway.

        Xorg seems to have the backing of most of the major Linux distros now,
        with Slack being pretty much the last one to change. From what I know of
        Pat Volkerding (Slackware Project Lead), he doesn't make these decisions
        lightly nor is he particularly bothered about the licensing issues. If
        he's decided Xorg has a better future, I guess that's good enough by me.
        Anyway, if you check the list of distros still supporting XFree
        (http://www.xfree86.org/distro-support.html) there aren't many left (16)
        none of which are particularly major and 4 of them are Slackware based
        so will probably switch pretty soon also. Arch is also one of the ones
        still on the list and, as you say, it is currently offering both, so I
        guess they're not far off changing either.

        I guess the future doesn't look too bright for XFree.
        --
        Mike
        Web Site: http://www.ice2o.com

        The lorry blocked the road. And the corrugated iron blocked the road.
        And a thirty-foot-high pile of fish blocked the road. It was one of the
        most
        effectively blocked roads the sergeant had ever seen.
        -- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
          On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 02:25:24AM +0300, Mike Peters wrote:
          > On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 17:40:27 -0400
          > Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
          >

          > > One does wonder what will become of XFree. There was some controversy
          > > with my beloved Arch Linux, which has been using XFree 4.4.x but also
          > > offers xorg, though one has to dig a bit to figure out how to do that.
          > >
          > > So, what are most people doing?
          >
          > I switched my main desktop a couple of months back when Dropline 2.6.0
          > was released as it went with Xorg. So far so good. At least I haven't
          > noticed any real difference - oh, apart from when I changed my graphics
          > card and spent an age changing and re-changing the driver in XF86Config
          > and wondering why it wasn't working. I hadn't realised everything was in
          > xorg.conf now....Doh!! I've seen a few people mention problems with
          > NVidia drivers but mainly in special circumstances and I'm sure those
          > problems will be ironed out soon. Besides, as the current code base is
          > very close to XFree86-4.4 anyway I'd hazard a guess those people would
          > see the same problems with the latest XFree anyway.

          ~Supposedly~ there have been a few improvements in the latest release of
          XORG. In FreeBSD, when I changed from XFree to Xorg, the file names
          remained the same, at least for the moment. I didn't have to
          reconfigure. On another test box, that had been running XFree4.4 (which
          I'd installed manually) I'm not sure what will happen--it's compiling as
          I type. :)

          > Xorg seems to have the backing of most of the major Linux distros now,
          > with Slack being pretty much the last one to change. From?what I know of
          > Pat Volkerding (Slackware Project Lead), he doesn't make these decisions
          > lightly nor is he particularly bothered about the licensing issues. If
          > he's decided Xorg has a better future, I guess that's good enough by me.
          > Anyway, if you check the list of distros still supporting XFree
          > (http://www.xfree86.org/distro-support.html) there aren't many left (16)
          > none of which are particularly major and 4 of them are Slackware based
          > so will probably switch pretty soon also. Arch is also one of the ones
          > still on the list and, as you say, it is currently offering both, so I
          > guess they're not far off changing either.

          No, there's been various debate. I ~think~ they were talking about Arch
          being removed--I don't think Judd is overly politically correct, and
          (said without thorough research) I think that Mr. Stallman was, as
          sometimes happens, overly attentive to detail here. On the other hand,
          it's his life work, so that happens. :)
          amusing icons on forums) did some re

          > I guess the future doesn't look too bright for XFree.

          No, and as Patrick says in his farewell to them, for that is what it is,
          it's rather sad--they, as much as anyone, IMHO are responsible for the
          growth of OSS. How many people would have dared to make the switch if
          there were no GUI.

          --

          Scott

          Willow: Old reliable? Yeah, great. There's a sexy
          nickname.
          Buffy: Well, I didn't mean it as...
          Willow: No, it's fine, I'm Old Reliable.
          Xander: She just means, you know, the geyser. You're like a
          geyser of fun that goes off at regular intervals.
          Willow: That's Old Faithful.
          Xander: Isn't that the dog that the guy had to shoot...?
          Willow: That's Old Yeller.
          Buffy: Xander, I beg you not to help me.
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
            Scott wrote:
            > The recent thread about vid chips and XFree makes me wonder--now that
            > Slack has officially changed to xorg, what are most people doing? I
            > changed over a few BSD boxes--it was relatively painless if one followed
            > the instructions. I'm not very politically into this, and am not doing
            > it for ideological reasons. I'm doing it because it seems that most of
            > the Linux and probably BSD people will be concentrating on xorg rather
            > than XFree for the moment.
            >
            > One does wonder what will become of XFree. There was some controversy
            > with my beloved Arch Linux, which has been using XFree 4.4.x but also
            > offers xorg, though one has to dig a bit to figure out how to do that.
            >
            > So, what are most people doing?

            For Gentoo users it's still masked, but once it becomes 'stable' I'll
            probbaly emerge it.

            --
            http://s87365085.onlinehome.us/
          • Andrew McCombe
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
              On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Steve wrote:

              > Scott wrote:
              > > The recent thread about vid chips and XFree makes me wonder--now that
              > > Slack has officially changed to xorg, what are most people doing? I
              > > changed over a few BSD boxes--it was relatively painless if one followed
              > > the instructions. I'm not very politically into this, and am not doing
              > > it for ideological reasons. I'm doing it because it seems that most of
              > > the Linux and probably BSD people will be concentrating on xorg rather
              > > than XFree for the moment.
              > >
              > > One does wonder what will become of XFree. There was some controversy
              > > with my beloved Arch Linux, which has been using XFree 4.4.x but also
              > > offers xorg, though one has to dig a bit to figure out how to do that.
              > >
              > > So, what are most people doing?
              > >

              > For Gentoo users it's still masked, but once it becomes 'stable' I'll
              > probbaly emerge it.

              I installed Fedora Core 2 on a spare HD last week with the X.org rpms. It
              doesn't like my Radwon 7000 and kept locking up after a while. But then,
              If I enable any 3d acceleration (DRI) in XFree86 4.3 + on my slackware 9.1
              box it locks up too.

              Not really anything interesting here, but an experience.

              Regards
              Andrew