XFree 4.1/2/3 driver issue

  • Justin Alexander
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1 3:36 AM
      My new laptop uses an S3/Savage. The 4.3 drivers (which are
      OpenSource) do not seem to suport 3D acceleration (or MPEG, but that's
      a small issue).

      The there are 4.1 drivers available from S3's website. By all reports
      they not only support 3D(OpenGL) but the kitchen sink (S-Video out etc).

      What I'm wonder is what are the benifits of XFree 4.3 over 4.1, or
      for that mater X.org?

      Is 4.3 THAT much better that it is worth giving up 3D acceleration?

      Can you get antialiased fonts in 4.1?
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1 3:41 AM
        On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 10:36:03 -0000, "Justin Alexander"
        <jkareg@...> wrote:

        > Is 4.3 THAT much better that it is worth giving up 3D acceleration?
        >
        > Can you get antialiased fonts in 4.1?

        Well, that's one of the reasons why XFree 4.3 is that much better than 4.1!
        It supports TrueType fonts natively and anti-aliasing works like a charm. I
        believe it *can* be done in 4.1 but you need to use the xfstt font server
        instead of declaring your fonts directly in your /etc/X11/XF86Config file.
        It isn't anywhere near as straightforward anyway.

        Are you willing to change your graphics adapter? Most ATI chips are
        supported in 4.3 and ATI-based cards aren't that expensive now.

        --
        G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
        Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.6)
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1 4:24 AM
          I woulf LOVE to change the video chip. But it's a laptop (T23) and to
          the best of my knoledge there is no way to swap that out.

          I meen I'm sure I could do it, if I went to college for a few years
          and got an Electronics degree. But I'm not sure 4.3 is worth it.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1 4:43 AM
            On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:24:06 -0000, "Justin Alexander"
            <jkareg@...> wrote:

            > I woulf LOVE to change the video chip. But it's a laptop (T23)...

            Yes, my bad. You did say that in your original post but it didn't sink in :(

            --
            G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
            Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.6)
            "Here, Outlook Express, run this program!" "Okay, stranger."
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1 4:51 AM
              <jkareg@...> wrote:

              > I woulf LOVE to change the video chip. But it's a laptop (T23) and to
              > the best of my knoledge there is no way to swap that out.

              BTW, XFree86 4.4 *does* support acceleration on the S3 savage:

              http://www.xfree86.org/4.4.0/savage.4.html

              --
              G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
              Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.6)
              Sign spotted outside a second hand shop:
              WE EXCHANGE ANYTHING - BICYCLES, WASHING MACHINES, ETC.
              WHY NOT BRING YOUR WIFE ALONG AND GET A WONDERFUL BARGAIN?
            • Justin Alexander
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1 7:20 AM
                Good info to know. Thanx.

                I deapend my research (ie RTFM) and found that the Savage series is
                utterly unsuported by the wonderfull folks at VIA/S3 (oh for the days
                when I worked down the street and could have chucked rotten tomatoes
                at them).

                4.2 and latter include support for XVid acceleration, but not 3D or
                MPEG :(

                Oh well, to much eye candy rotts your brain. Thanks for the help.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1 7:33 AM
                  Oh in the intrest of completness 4.3 seems to suport XRender. Which
                  is good news for those of us who like *fonts*! (also nice for that
                  day long in the future when we get truely transparent windows in X)