Font Viewer in Slack 9.1

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8 5:53 PM
      Hello everyone,

      I need suggestions for a good font viewer. I am
      running Slack 9.1, and am having *zero* success
      installing a font viewer.

      I can use the fontilus/nautilus combination,
      but this is rather "clunky". For some reason,
      the preview feature in the KDE Control Center
      font installer, is not working (It just shows
      everything in a seriff font.)

      Has *anyone* been able to get a font viewer running
      in Slack? I have made numerous attempts at compiling
      packages of gfontview...but with no success.

      I always get this error during ./configure:

      checking for gnome-config... no
      ===>Gnome not found. Building without it.
      checking for TT_Init_FreeType in -lttf... no
      configure: error: Cannot find TrueType library

      First, I have the standard Gnome from Slack 9.1
      installed. Why can it not find it?

      Second, what exactly is TT_Init_FreeType? I
      have FreeType2 installed. I am sure it is
      part of the default Slack install. Why can it
      not find this? Where do I look to see if I
      have it installed? Much "googling" has not
      given me any help....

      Thanks,

      --

      Greg Heilers
      Registered Linux user #328317 - SlackWare Linux 9.1
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9 4:23 AM
        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > I need suggestions for a good font viewer. I am
        > running Slack 9.1, and am having *zero* success
        > installing a font viewer.
        >
        > I can use the fontilus/nautilus combination,
        > but this is rather "clunky". For some reason,
        > the preview feature in the KDE Control Center
        > font installer, is not working (It just shows
        > everything in a seriff font.)
        >
        > Has *anyone* been able to get a font viewer running
        > in Slack? I have made numerous attempts at compiling
        > packages of gfontview...but with no success.
        >
        > I always get this error during ./configure:

        > checking for gnome-config... no
        > ===>Gnome not found. Building without it.
        > checking for TT_Init_FreeType in -lttf... no
        > configure: error: Cannot find TrueType library

        > First, I have the standard Gnome from Slack 9.1
        > installed. Why can it not find it?
        >
        > Second, what exactly is TT_Init_FreeType? I
        > have FreeType2 installed. I am sure it is
        > part of the default Slack install. Why can it
        > not find this? Where do I look to see if I
        > have it installed? Much "googling" has not
        > given me any help....
        >

        > Thanks,

        You need to install Freetype. There are a few resources for installing and
        managing fonts in Slackware:

        http://www.freetype.org/
        http://brendan.sdf-eu.org/articles/antialiasing_slack.php
        http://www.linuxpackages.net
        http://www.linuxpackages.net/search_view.php?by=name&name=freetype&ver=9.1

        I have Freetype installed and am getting perfect font previews in KDE
        Control-centre.

        HTH
        Andrew

        --
        Powered by Linux
        Slackware 9.1 / KDE 3.2.1 / XFree86 4.4.0
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9 4:24 AM
          > > Second, what exactly is TT_Init_FreeType? I
          > > have FreeType2 installed.

          Whoops - didn't see this

          --
          Powered by Linux
          Slackware 9.1 / KDE 3.2.1 / XFree86 4.4.0
          MSN: euperia3000@...
          ICQ: 132467430
        • Mike Peters

            On Sun, 09 May 2004 00:53:28 -0000
            "Greg" <gvhtexas@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > I need suggestions for a good font viewer. I am
            > running Slack 9.1, and am having *zero* success
            > installing a font viewer.
            >
            > I can use the fontilus/nautilus combination,
            > but this is rather "clunky". For some reason,
            > the preview feature in the KDE Control Center
            > font installer, is not working (It just shows
            > everything in a seriff font.)
            >
            > Has *anyone* been able to get a font viewer running
            > in Slack? I have made numerous attempts at compiling
            > packages of gfontview...but with no success.
            >
            > I always get this error during ./configure:

            > checking for gnome-config... no
            > ===>Gnome not found. Building without it.
            > checking for TT_Init_FreeType in -lttf... no
            > configure: error: Cannot find TrueType library

            > First, I have the standard Gnome from Slack 9.1
            > installed. Why can it not find it?
            >
            > Second, what exactly is TT_Init_FreeType? I
            > have FreeType2 installed. I am sure it is
            > part of the default Slack install. Why can it
            > not find this? Where do I look to see if I
            > have it installed? Much "googling" has not
            > given me any help....

            gfontview is trying to link against the old GNOME 1. With Slack 9.1
            you'll have GNOME 2.4.

            Have you tried gucharmap? It should be installed by default, if not you
            can get it at gucharmap.sourceforge.net.

            - --
            Mike
            Web Site: http://www.ice2o.com
            JabberID: mpeters@...
            Registered Linux User #247123

            It was all very well going about pure logic and how the universe was
            ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact was that
            the disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle
            and the gods had a habit of going round to atheists' houses and smashing
            their windows.
            (Colour of Magic)