procmail trouble

  • Henrik
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2004
      Hello,

      I've got a filter written with procmail that will block certain
      email-addresses and doman-names.

      These email-addresses and doman-names are listed in a file on the
      mailserver.

      On another server it works fine, but when I try the same on this
      server (running mandrake) and try out to send email to it with a
      blocked email-address in the "from"-info, I get the following in the
      .procmail.log;

      procmail: Lock failure on "/var/mail/mailbox.lock"
      From address@... Sun May 2 14:04:35 2004
      Folder: /var/mail/mailbox

      How do I do to fix this?

      Thanks in advance! :-)

      / H
    • Ed
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2004
        On Sun, 02 May 2004 12:51:09 -0000
        "Henrik" <soulmuh@...> wrote:

        > procmail: Lock failure on "/var/mail/mailbox.lock"

        do a whereis procmail, look at the permissions on the binary, then see
        if procmail can work in the /var/mail directory.

        I am thinking that you have missed out part of the setup process.

        /var/mail
        drwxrwsr-x 2 root mail 4096 Apr 16 19:47 .

        ls -al /usr/bin/procmail
        -rwsr-sr-x 1 root mail 67496 Jan 20 17:09
        /usr/bin/procmail

        Ensure you have the same permissions on those files.

        Do you have any programs reading/writing your mbox file?

        --
        icq: 21156382 msn: cryptic_edd at gmx dot net
      • Henrik
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2004
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Ed <ed@e...> wrote:
          > On Sun, 02 May 2004 12:51:09 -0000
          > "Henrik" <soulmuh@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > procmail: Lock failure on "/var/mail/mailbox.lock"
          >
          > do a whereis procmail, look at the permissions on the binary, then see
          > if procmail can work in the /var/mail directory.
          >
          > I am thinking that you have missed out part of the setup process.
          >
          > /var/mail
          > drwxrwsr-x 2 root mail 4096 Apr 16 19:47 .
          >
          > ls -al /usr/bin/procmail
          > -rwsr-sr-x 1 root mail 67496 Jan 20 17:09
          > /usr/bin/procmail
          >
          > Ensure you have the same permissions on those files.
          >
          > Do you have any programs reading/writing your mbox file?

          The mbox-file works fine, though I'll check the above and see what it
          says.

          I'm using spam-assassin and that one works fine, as close to when it
          comes to throwing away emails from certain senders and keeping others,
          I haven't found how to do that selectively.

          Thanks.

          / H