Re: [linux] Looking for database software

  • Karol Krizka
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
      Just a suggestion, try XML files to store the data in.

      On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 23:44, Taj Morton wrote:
      > Hello,
      > I'm looking for a fast, open source database software (doesn't need to
      > be
      > relational, but ability to select with queries would be nice).
      > However, it
      > can't depend on a server. :(
      >
      > It needs to have a database that can look like this, kinda:
      > | ID | Name | Version | Files |
      > Deps |
      > | 1 | hello | 1.0 | /usr/bin/hello |
      > hello_lib |
      >
      > Also, it needs to have a good C/Pascal API.
      > Any ideas on what I can do?
      > Thanks,
      > Taj
      > --
      > Certainly there are things in life that money can't buy, but it's very
      > funny--
      > Did you ever try buying them without money?
      > -- Ogden Nash

      > Service.

    • Jim Reimer
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
        On Tuesday, March 2, 2004, 6:19:55 PM, you wrote:

        > What else could you ask for?

        A Pascal API. (Well, you asked.)

        --
        -jdr-
      • Nagendra Pratap Singh
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
          Hello JC,

          JC> It does not require a "server" in the essence of a seperate computer
          JC> that does just that. MySQL can run on a workstation machine, uses
          JC> minimal resources, and is very very fast. It's easy to set up, the C
          JC> libraries are very easy to use, it's very flexible, and very effecient.
          JC> What else could you ask for?

          I was thinking the same. I used IMAP once and was very happy. None of
          the servers on windows comes close ( I used the trial ones on
          download.com). And exhange 2000 etc are too expensive to be used and
          uses too much ram.

          If MySql is on the same lines, then any desktop would do.
          BTW is there any .dbf driver on linux?

          Nagendra Pratap Singh mailto:nzsamuel@...
        • Paul Malcher
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
            --- Taj Morton <taj@...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            > > What about the Berkeley DB libraries? Flat file,

            Hi, I've been working on a pascal wrapper for that and
            I'm close to being done. I can do it with some help.

            =====
            Sincerely,

            Paul Malcher

            http://search.yahoo.com
          • JC Jones
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
              If I'm not mistaken, MySQL comes already available on at least most
              relatively new distros of Linux, and even if it's not bundled or was not
              chosen at install time, it only takes a couple of rpm's and 10 minutes
              or so to install and configure it.

              JC Jones

              On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 03:14, Taj Morton wrote:
              > Hi,
              > >
              > > Is it hard to install mysql on the same PC as your user program? Does
              > > it use too many resources?
              > Yes, actually :(. It was the first thing that came to mind, but this is a
              > package manager I'm writing, so it needs to run with as little requirements
              > as possible.
              > --Taj
            • Taj Morton
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 3, 2004
                Hi,
                > Just a suggestion, try XML files to store the data in.
                XML would be nice, but it's awful slow compared to binary files :(.
                --Taj

                --
                ... and furthermore ... I don't like your trousers.
              • Taj Morton
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 3, 2004
                  Hi,

                  > Is it hard to install mysql on the same PC as your user program? Does
                  > it use too many resources?
                  Yes, actually :(. It was the first thing that came to mind, but this is a
                  package manager I'm writing, so it needs to run with as little requirements
                  as possible.
                  --Taj

                  --
                  "See - the thing is - I'm an absolutist. I mean, kind of ... in a way ..."
                • Taj Morton
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 3, 2004
                    Hi,
                    > If I'm not mistaken, MySQL comes already available on at least most
                    > relatively new distros of Linux, and even if it's not bundled or was not
                    > chosen at install time, it only takes a couple of rpm's and 10 minutes
                    > or so to install and configure it.
                    Yea, but this is a package manager for a linux distro ;).

                    Is it true that I can use MySQL w/o a server? Eg, just databases? I think not,
                    but could be.
                    --Taj

                    --
                    Fortune's Fictitious Country Song Title of the Week:
                    "How Can I Miss You if You Won't Go Away?"
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 3, 2004
                      > >I'm looking for a fast, open source database software (doesn't need to be
                      > >relational, but ability to select with queries would be nice). However, it
                      > >can't depend on a server. :(
                      >
                      > Check out sqlite
                      Thanks for everyones help. SQLite fit the bill perfectly!

                      It has a Pascal wrapper, BTW.
                      --Taj
                      --
                      "The National Association of Theater Concessionaires reported that in
                      1986, 60% of all candy sold in movie theaters was sold to Roger Ebert."