Re: 2nd Linux computer on my D-LINK router - trouble

  • R. Clint Ellis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2004
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "R. Clint Ellis" <rcellis@t...> wrote:
      > I've been using a D-LINK router...got a second machine (running RH
      9) > and it won't quite talk to the router...the actual network interface
      > is inactive and won't activate - no informative message.

      I've put maybe an hour into this so far - a status report: It strongly
      looks like my problem begins at the new machine - eth0 does not seem
      to be set up properly, though according to the available documentation
      I've got it set up OK. There may be an interaction between the basic
      ethernet setup and the fact that I am trying to let the D-Link 604 be
      a DHCP server. (The D-Link shows a lease of a pool IP out to that
      machine, so at one time I must have managed a good connection)

      Just a quick update.

      RC
    • R. Clint Ellis
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2004
        Another quick update...
        I've put new RJ45 ends on my cable just in case... The 604 says it
        likes the cable, but still can't get the second machine to "see" the
        router (nor anything else).

        I've discovered that on the first, functioning connection/machine, the
        ppp0e interface is defined but inactive... and won't activate.
        Doesn't interfer with internet access. I suppose it was running long
        enough to get me on the ADSL connection.. but haven't found much
        documentation about this particular interface.

        I have my D-Link 'stealthed' out so that Shields Up can't see it. It
        also drops incoming pings so that test isn't good *toward* the router.
        Pinging *from* the router to the 2nd machine times out (and I DONT
        have ping shut off on that machine, unless RH9 defaults to OFF on that
        setting - I'll have to check that).

        I've now matched almost exactly the settings on the 2nd machine to the
        first, (except where it applies to it's own IP) and still no joy.

        Pinging from the 1st to the 2nd machine results in the DESTIMNATION
        HOST UNREACHABLE message.

        RC
      • Wolf Dreamer
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2004
          you do not give a whole lot of info, but in general.... your DLink should be
          connect and handle all the traffic to your modem. I am assuming you have a
          4 port jobbie.

          the DLink will have two IPs, one on the far end connected to the WAN and on
          the LAN side. You then need to configure your boxes to talk and gateway
          through the ethernet port to the LAN side of your router. That's it.
        • James Drabb
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2004
            On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 21:20, R. Clint Ellis wrote:
            > Another quick update...
            > I've put new RJ45 ends on my cable just in case... The 604 says it
            > likes the cable, but still can't get the second machine to "see" the
            > router (nor anything else).
            >
            > RC

            I have a D-Link for my cable modem and use 3 PCs behind it. The D-Link
            can give out IP address via DHCP or you can use a static IP approach.
            Since I only have 3 PCs behind it I went with static IPs so I always
            know what PC has what IP.

            My D-Link router gets my real IP from my cable ISP via DHCP. The D-Link
            also has a LAN IP that is 192.168.1.1. So I set my other 3 PCs to have
            the IP address of:

            192.168.1.101
            192.168.1.102
            192.168.1.103

            Next all I had to do was set the DEFAULT GATEWAY of each PC to:
            192.168.1.1
            which is the D-Link and it all works well.

            Have you tried a similar setup? Did you set the default gateway on the
            2nd PC to be the LAN IP of your D-Link?

            Jim Drabb
            The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
            So, I installed LINUX!
            James Drabb JR
            Senior Programmer Analyst
            Davenport, FL USA
          • R. Clint Ellis
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2004
              Well, it turned out that my settings were pretty much OK all along...
              it looks like the cable I was using was not up-to-speed. Either the
              cable I was sold was the wrong type, (labeled Cerrocord CMPE129760
              E129760 24WGXO and EIA/TIA 568A 4UTP CSA LL80671 FT6 - Enhanced CAT-5e
              350MHZ)
              or my rusty cable-end attachment of the RJ45 connectors was
              sub-standard. When I dragged the 2nd machine into my office and
              connected it to the router using a shorter manufactured cable, it
              worked just fine.

              So I went to a local hardware dealer and bought a cable made up by
              them (there fault if it was wrong) and it works fine....

              ...but here's the kicker. Within minutes of getting the machine
              re-installed in it's intended place, the motherboard apparently blew
              up! The mouse stopped working, the machine couldn't boot properly,
              and when it did it got lost during the X-window initialization, other
              problems.

              It *was* and older machine (that's why it was going to be the kids
              box) but this is just too much.

              Well, here's what I learned:

              1. Even if the the D-LINK 604 reports that the cable is OK, it might
              not be.

              2. My ISP provides me with ADSL, but does NOT use ppp0e - I should
              have (and eventually dis) select the Cable Modem option during network
              setup.

              Apparently everything else I had *originally* done to set it up was OK.

              Well, thanks for all the suggestions.

              RC
            • Wolf Dreamer
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2004
                R. Clint Ellis writes:

                > Well, it turned out that my settings were pretty much OK all along...
                > it looks like the cable I was using was not up-to-speed. Either the
                > cable I was sold was the wrong type, (labeled Cerrocord CMPE129760
                > E129760 24WGXO and EIA/TIA 568A 4UTP CSA LL80671 FT6 - Enhanced CAT-5e
                ------------------------------^

                Cable was probably ok, just the wrong cable.
              • R. Clint Ellis
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2, 2004
                  >>(labeled Cerrocord CMPE129760
                  >> E129760 24WGXO and EIA/TIA 568A 4UTP CSA LL80671 FT6
                  >> - Enhanced CAT-5e

                  > Cable was probably ok, just the wrong cable.

                  I agree - the way I ended up buying it was the reason for the mistake:
                  my wife was at the store and called me on cell to ask what kind of
                  cable I had been talking about (save me a trip) - I told her standard
                  ethernet cable for RG-45 connectors - she said the clerk didn't seem
                  too confident but cut a hundred feet of what he *thought* I meant. It
                  had 6 conductors of the right gauge, but in retrospect it clearly
                  wasn't the right cable. I didn't trip to it for a while 'cause my
                  cable-chasing days are many years behind me and the only other cables
                  I have in-house are not labeled. Oh well.

                  RC