Re: [linux] The GPL isn't constitutional?

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
      Sun, 30 Nov 2003 18:50:17 -0800 scripsit David Orriss Jr:

      > Can someone explain to me SCOs latest claims that the GPL is
      > unconstitutional...??

      Short answer: no.

      Longer answer: SCO is getting desperate and in an attempt to come up with an
      idea, *any* idea, has started drinking the bong water as well as smoking the
      bong. They can't come up with any technically acceptable reason why Linux
      users should pay for a license - or rather they have done but all the
      reasons have been shot down in flames[1] - so they're trying the irrational
      now.

      [1] - http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12836

      --
      G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
      Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0)
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
        On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 18:50:17 -0800
        David Orriss Jr <dave@...> wrote:

        > Can someone explain to me SCOs latest claims that the GPL is
        > unconstitutional...??

        Sure - locate your nearest crack dealer, imbibe a significant quantity of
        his wares, wait a few minutes and then SCOs reasoning will become quite
        plain.

        Chris
        --
        =[ http://www.starforge.co.uk/ ]===[ Explorer2260 Lead Designer and Coder. ]
        =[ Public key: ]===================[ http://www.starforge.co.uk/pubkey.txt ]
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
          Chris/Godwin,

          *wiping tears from eyes after laughing my a** off *

          Thanks.. I needed that. I knew they were blowing smoke, but I couldn't
          find anything about their rationale *behind* it. Nice to at least know
          there *isn't* any...

          Take care guys. Have a happy holiday season.
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
            Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:11:38 -0800 scripsit David Orriss Jr:

            > Thanks.. I needed that. I knew they were blowing smoke,

            Yeah - fresh from the bong...

            --
            G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
            Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0)
            "A reputation for releasing inferior software will make it more
            difficult for a software vendor to induce customers to pay for
            new products or new versions of existing products."
            -- Microsoft
          • Michael Kjorling
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
                Mon, 1 Dec 2003 23:18:24 +0100 (CEST) scripsit Michael Kjorling:

                > > > Thanks.. I needed that. I knew they were blowing smoke,
                > >
                > > Yeah - fresh from the bong...
                >
                > Why not make that Borg instead...

                You can smoke a bong, but can you smoke a Borg? I'm not sure I'd like to
                find out, what with all those vaporized nanorobot implants entering my
                lungs - I'd find myself assimilated before I could say "crack".

                > I wonder how many will remember SCO in ten years...

                Who's that? :)

                --
                G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
                Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0)
                Reporter (to Mahatma Gandhi):
                "Mr. Gandhi, what do you think of Western civilisation?"
                Gandhi:
                "I think it would be a good idea."
              • Michael Kjorling
                • David Orriss Jr
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
                    Godwin Stewart wrote:

                    >Mon, 1 Dec 2003 23:18:24 +0100 (CEST) scripsit Michael Kjorling:

                    >>>Yeah - fresh from the bong...
                    >>>

                    >>Why not make that Borg instead...
                    >>

                    >You can smoke a bong, but can you smoke a Borg? I'm not sure I'd like to
                    >find out, what with all those vaporized nanorobot implants entering my
                    >lungs - I'd find myself assimilated before I could say "crack".

                    If it is... what was that name of that Borg on Voyager...(?) Two of 38
                    or something like that? If it's her we're talking about I'll take a
                    chance... :)

                    >>I wonder how many will remember SCO in ten years...
                    >>

                    >Who's that? :)

                    They made a Unix distribution.. they were out of Santa Cruz... went out
                    of business years ago...

                    ;)
                  • Michael Kjorling
                    • David Orriss Jr
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
                        Michael Kjorling wrote:

                        >On Dec 1 2003 16:37 -0800, David Orriss Jr wrote:
                        >

                        >>>You can smoke a bong, but can you smoke a Borg? I'm not sure I'd like to
                        >>>

                        >>If it is... what was that name of that Borg on Voyager...(?) Two of 38
                        >>or something like that? If it's her we're talking about I'll take a
                        >>chance... :)
                        >>

                        >Seven of Nine, actually. Primary adjunct of unimatrix zero one if I don't
                        >recall wrong. (I'm sure someone will set me straight if I do.) And if you
                        >want to smoke her, well, that's your decision...

                        Ah.. just adding some more levity to the discussion.. I'm well aware her
                        name was Seven...

                        >>>Who's that? :)
                        >>>

                        >>They made a Unix distribution.. they were out of Santa Cruz... went out
                        >>of business years ago...
                        >>
                        >>;)
                        >>

                        >s/distribution/dialect/. Or implementation, if you wish... we talk about
                        >distributions in the almighty world of PENGIUN POWER.

                        Ah..thanks for the clarification...