Kill Duped emails

  • T. Albert
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 7, 2003
      Hi,

      does any of you know how to remove / delete, double email in inbox ? i'm using
      KMail as my email client. i've been googling around but can't find any clue.

      regards,

      Albert
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 7, 2003
        On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 16:55:53 +0700
        "T. Albert" <milis@...> wrote:

        > does any of you know how to remove / delete, double email in inbox ? i'm
        > using KMail as my email client. i've been googling around but can't find
        > any clue.

        AFAIK Kmail doesn't include a duplicate delete facility. If you're using it
        as a pop3 client then you may be out of luck unless you want to try and
        write a program to do the duplicate removal directly on kmails mail
        directories. If you're using procmail, you may be able to get it to do the
        duplicate deletion for you, but I'm no procmail expert.

        Perhaps the easiest option may be to swithc to sylpheed/sylpheed-claws: that
        has a duplicate deletion function out of the tarball.

        Chris
      • T. Albert
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 7, 2003
          On Thursday 07 August 2003 17:11, Chris wrote:
          > On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 16:55:53 +0700
          >
          > "T. Albert" <milis@...> wrote:
          > > does any of you know how to remove / delete, double email in inbox ? i'm
          > > using KMail as my email client. i've been googling around but can't find
          > > any clue.
          >
          > AFAIK Kmail doesn't include a duplicate delete facility. If you're using it
          > as a pop3 client then you may be out of luck unless you want to try and
          > write a program to do the duplicate removal directly on kmails mail
          > directories. If you're using procmail, you may be able to get it to do the
          > duplicate deletion for you, but I'm no procmail expert.
          >
          > Perhaps the easiest option may be to swithc to sylpheed/sylpheed-claws:
          > that has a duplicate deletion function out of the tarball.
          >
          > Chris

          does sylpheed save the emails on mbox format / maildir format ? since a lot of
          sites tells that if the mbox get corrupted, you might lost your emails.
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 7, 2003
            On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 17:44:54 +0700
            "T. Albert" <milis@...> wrote:

            > does sylpheed save the emails on mbox format / maildir format ?

            MH format with multiple folder support. It has mbox import/export
            facilities but messages are not stored in mbox format.

            Chris
            --
            =[ http://www.starforge.co.uk/ ]===[ Explorer2260 Lead Designer and Coder. ]
            =[ Public key: ]===================[ http://www.starforge.co.uk/pubkey.txt ]
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 7, 2003
              Albert,

              >does any of you know how to remove / delete, double email in inbox ?

              I assume that you are talking about email from yahoo groups. They seem to send double messages every so often. I can't think of any solution that won't probably be more of a nuisance than the problem. I just tolerate it. I suppose it you get lots of yahoo mail it might be very annoying and maybe confusing. I've even seen old messages show up again. :-)

              Jim

            • Andrew McCombe
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 7, 2003
                Doesn't every email have a unique message-id header? Couldn't you filter
                for duplicates on that and then delete one?

                Andrew

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 7, 2003
                  And Thus Spake "Andrew McCombe" <andrew@...> (on Thu, 7 Aug 2003
                  17:28:00 +0100):

                  > Doesn't every email have a unique message-id header? Couldn't you filter
                  > for duplicates on that and then delete one?

                  What happens if you've already nuked the original mail? Are you going to
                  keep a database containing the Message-ID's of all mails you receive?

                  Can you spell "unmanageable"? I thought you could.

                  It really is far more trouble than it's worth.

                  --
                  G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
                  Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0)
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 7, 2003
                    Godwin

                    >It really is far more trouble than it's worth.

                    That is my take, some 'problems' are not worth fixing. I tend to wait until I determine that a problem is both consistent and annoying enough to be worth bothering with. It the problem costs me or someone I care about money or pain [I'm speaking generally now] and the remedy is not worse than the problem, I will try to fix it, but usually not until then.

                    Jim

                  • Andrew McCombe
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 7, 2003
                      > And Thus Spake "Andrew McCombe" <andrew@...> (on Thu, 7 Aug 2003
                      > 17:28:00 +0100):
                      >
                      > > Doesn't every email have a unique message-id header? Couldn't you
                      filter
                      > > for duplicates on that and then delete one?
                      >
                      > What happens if you've already nuked the original mail? Are you going to
                      > keep a database containing the Message-ID's of all mails you receive?
                      >
                      > Can you spell "unmanageable"? I thought you could.
                      >
                      > It really is far more trouble than it's worth.

                      Good point. pressing delete ain't THAT hard :>

                      Andrew
                    • T. Albert
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 7, 2003
                        On Friday 08 August 2003 02:39, Andrew McCombe wrote:
                        > > And Thus Spake "Andrew McCombe" <andrew@...> (on Thu, 7 Aug 2003
                        > >
                        > > 17:28:00 +0100):
                        > > > Doesn't every email have a unique message-id header? Couldn't you
                        >
                        > filter
                        >
                        > > > for duplicates on that and then delete one?
                        > >
                        > > What happens if you've already nuked the original mail? Are you going to
                        > > keep a database containing the Message-ID's of all mails you receive?
                        > >
                        > > Can you spell "unmanageable"? I thought you could.
                        > >
                        > > It really is far more trouble than it's worth.
                        >
                        > Good point. pressing delete ain't THAT hard :>
                        >
                        > Andrew

                        imagine you have hundreds (sometimes thousand) of emails, and you do it
                        everyday to delete double mail (though i rarely get double emails). i'm quite
                        sick of double emails. so i may be switch to sylpheed.

                        right now, i'm using Kmail, and quite happy with that :)