Internet sharing

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2003
      I use Mandrake 9.0, my wife has Windows XP, she has a broadband
      internet connection, I want to share it. Between us we have:
      A serial cable (null modem)
      A parallel cable (laplink)
      2 ethernet cards (with cable)
      Any ideas?

      She insists that she has a direct internet connection, so the ADSL
      modem stays on the Windows machine.

      I don't mind the speed that I get it - as it is i'm using a 28k modem
      - so even through a serial cable would be better - plus I wouldn't
      have to pay for my ISP ;-)

      Any help would be good - even if its just to say it's impossible. The
      solution should hopefully cause as little disruption to my wife as
      possible, she hates things being complex. I don't mind lots of effort
      to get it to work but when its set up it must be simple and quick for
      the windows PC.
    • jclark@mscsoftware.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 31, 2003
        > Any help would be good - even if its just to say it's impossible. The
        > solution should hopefully cause as little disruption to my wife as
        > possible, she hates things being complex. I don't mind lots of effort
        > to get it to work but when its set up it must be simple and quick for
        > the windows PC.
        Take a look at this link. It takes you step by step on how to set up
        kinda what you want to do.

        http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialIptablesNetworkGateway.html

        Regards
        Jon
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        Jonathan Clark
        System Engineer
        MSC Software
        Yahoo IM - jonpaulclark
        AIM - MSC Jon Clark
        MSN IM - catia_hotline@...
        15400 SE 30th Place, Suite 202
        Bellevue, WA 98007
        Office No 425-644-3933
        Cell No 206-227-2961
        Email - jclark@...
        Web - http://www.mscsoftware.com

        I use Mandrake 9.0, my wife has Windows XP, she has a broadband
        internet connection, I want to share it. Between us we have:
        A serial cable (null modem)
        A parallel cable (laplink)
        2 ethernet cards (with cable)
        Any ideas?

        She insists that she has a direct internet connection, so the ADSL
        modem stays on the Windows machine.

        I don't mind the speed that I get it - as it is i'm using a 28k modem
        - so even through a serial cable would be better - plus I wouldn't
        have to pay for my ISP ;-)

        Any help would be good - even if its just to say it's impossible. The
        solution should hopefully cause as little disruption to my wife as
        possible, she hates things being complex. I don't mind lots of effort
        to get it to work but when its set up it must be simple and quick for
        the windows PC.

        http://www.yahoogroups.com

      • Peter L. Berghold
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 31, 2003
          On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 15:30, Paul wrote:
          > I don't mind lots of effort
          > to get it to work but when its set up it must be simple and quick for
          > the windows PC.

          Check out the HOWTO doco on www.linux.org concerning IP_MASQ and
          IPCHAINS. You'll be glad you did. ;-)

          Peter L. Berghold Peter@...
          Dog event enthusiast, brewer of Belgian (style) Ales. Happiness is
          having your contented dog at your side and a Belgian Ale in your glass.
        • Dave Markowitz
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31, 2003
            Paul wrote:
            > I use Mandrake 9.0, my wife has Windows XP, she has a broadband
            > internet connection, I want to share it. Between us we have:
            > A serial cable (null modem)
            > A parallel cable (laplink)
            > 2 ethernet cards (with cable)
            > Any ideas?
            >
            > She insists that she has a direct internet connection, so the ADSL
            > modem stays on the Windows machine.
            >
            > I don't mind the speed that I get it - as it is i'm using a 28k modem
            > - so even through a serial cable would be better - plus I wouldn't
            > have to pay for my ISP ;-)
            >
            > Any help would be good - even if its just to say it's impossible. The
            > solution should hopefully cause as little disruption to my wife as
            > possible, she hates things being complex. I don't mind lots of effort
            > to get it to work but when its set up it must be simple and quick for
            > the windows PC.

            I recommend getting a cheap NAT router which would sit between the ADSL
            modem and your LAN. This would greatly increase your security and would
            not make anything more complicated for your wife. These typically have
            3-4 LAN ports that you'd connect your PCs to.

            However, if you don't want to go that route, you can use XP's Internet
            Connection Sharing. It should be pretty simple, but you'll need a
            second Ethernet card in her PC.

            1. Install the second NIC in her machine. Assign it a static IP
            address, e.d., 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0. Connect your PC to the second
            NIC on her PC with a crossover Ethernet cable.

            2. Configure your Mandrake box's NIC statically as
            192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0. Make your default gateway 192.168.0.1.
            You'll also need to manually setup at least one DNS server in
            /etc/resolv.conf.

            3. On the XP PC, go into the Properties for the first network
            connection, which remains connected to her ADSL modem. Select the
            option to share the connection with other computers on the network
            (Internet Connection Sharing). While you're in the properties for that
            connection, I suggest enabling XP's built-in firewall.

            That ~should~ do it.

            --
            Dave Markowitz AIM: frodo527
            frodo527@... Y!: dave_markowitz
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
              If the windows box has to do the dialup then windows has "Internet
              connection sharing". Its not hard to setup and then you can connect over
              your network.
              Just set your Linux box to use a dhcp server and ICS hands out an ip.
              James