Re: [linux] Setting NIC speed and duplex settings

    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2003
      And Thus Spake Edward Neville <psyfybre@...> (on Fri, 2 May 2003
      15:52:20 +0100):

      > Ive never seen a nic with flashable memory!

      They all have one in one form or another. The NIC's MAC address for one
      thing is stored in it, as are its communication parameters.

      --
      G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
      Registered Linux user #284683
      Message 2 of 12 , May 7, 2003
        Hi Edward,

        > Hello Richard,
        >
        > Friday, May 02, 2003, 1:27:00 PM, you wrote:
        >
        > RP> I dual boot with windows 2k, which hangs if the card is left to
        autodetect.
        > RP> Setting 10Mbps under win2k flashes these settings into the NIC memory.
        On
        > RP> booting into linux, unless I set the access spead speed to 10 Mbps FD
        > RP> cannot access the network.
        >
        > RP> Don't know if that makes things any clearer, but will try your
        suggestion.

        > Ive never seen a nic with flashable memory! i dont doubt they exist,
        > but its never occoured to me that they might. learn something new
        > every day! ill google for more info on this, hope the suggestion
        > worked for you

        You suggestion worked a treat. Many thanks.

        Regards

        Richard
      • Edward Neville
        Message 3 of 12 , May 7, 2003
          Hello Godwin,

          Friday, May 02, 2003, 3:58:34 PM, you wrote:

          GS> And Thus Spake Edward Neville <psyfybre@...> (on Fri, 2 May 2003
          GS> 15:52:20 +0100):

          >> Ive never seen a nic with flashable memory!

          GS> They all have one in one form or another. The NIC's MAC address for one
          GS> thing is stored in it, as are its communication parameters.

          ive never thought of it like that... i thought the mac address was a
          factory burnt setting... not a programmable one... hummm maybe i can
          hijack an ip address on the college network >:).

          Edward mailto:psyfybre@...
        • Ed McMan
          Message 4 of 12 , May 7, 2003
            Wednesday, May 7, 2003, 8:29:38 PM, Edward Neville (Edward) wrote:

            Edward> Friday, May 02, 2003, 3:58:34 PM, you wrote:

            GS>> And Thus Spake Edward Neville <psyfybre@...> (on Fri, 2 May 2003
            GS>> 15:52:20 +0100):

            >>> Ive never seen a nic with flashable memory!

            GS>> They all have one in one form or another. The NIC's MAC address for one
            GS>> thing is stored in it, as are its communication parameters.

            Edward> ive never thought of it like that... i thought the mac address was a
            Edward> factory burnt setting... not a programmable one... hummm maybe i can
            Edward> hijack an ip address on the college network >:).

            MAC addresses are stored in rom. Either way, you can override it
            using ifconfig (although the change is not permanent).

            | Eddie J Schwartz <EdMcMan@[despammed.com|m00.net]> |
            | AIM: Uncaring Eyes ICQ: 35576339 YHOO: edmcman2 |
            | "We Trills have an expression -- at forty, you |
            | think you know everything. At four hundred you |
            | realize you know nothing." - Dax, Startrek DS9 |
            Message 5 of 12 , May 7, 2003
              And Thus Spake Ed McMan <edmcman@...> (on Wed, 07 May 2003
              20:50:31 -0400):

              > MAC addresses are stored in rom. Either way, you can override it
              > using ifconfig (although the change is not permanent).

              No they aren't.

              Do you really think the manufacturer is going to have a different ROM made
              for each NIC which comes off the production line?

              No, the MAC address is stored in a non volatile, programmable chip called an
              eeprom, very often a 93C06 or 93C46 on a microwire bus or one of Philips'
              I²C bus PCF85xx chips. The NIC's are then each programmed with a different
              MAC address.

              ifconfig probably doesn't make the change permanent, but the DOS drivers
              supplied with the NIC usually include a utility allowing the user to rewrite
              the MAC address in the eeprom.

              Message 6 of 12 , May 8, 2003
                Thursday, May 8, 2003, 2:14:30 AM, Godwin Stewart (Godwin) wrote:

                Godwin> And Thus Spake Ed McMan <edmcman@...> (on Wed, 07 May 2003
                Godwin> 20:50:31 -0400):

                >> MAC addresses are stored in rom. Either way, you can override it
                >> using ifconfig (although the change is not permanent).

                Godwin> No they aren't.

                Godwin> Do you really think the manufacturer is going to have a different ROM made
                Godwin> for each NIC which comes off the production line?

                In every NIC I have seen, yes. I don't know the manufacturing
                details.

                Godwin> No, the MAC address is stored in a non volatile, programmable chip called an
                Godwin> eeprom, very often a 93C06 or 93C46 on a microwire bus or one of Philips'
                Godwin> I²C bus PCF85xx chips. The NIC's are then each programmed with a different
                Godwin> MAC address.

                I havn't seen that, but I use cheap cards in general.

                Message 7 of 12 , May 8, 2003
                  Hello Godwin,

                  GS> And Thus Spake Ed McMan <edmcman@...> (on Wed, 07 May 2003
                  GS> 20:50:31 -0400):

                  >> MAC addresses are stored in rom. Either way, you can override it
                  >> using ifconfig (although the change is not permanent).

                  GS> No they aren't.

                  GS> Do you really think the manufacturer is going to have a different ROM made
                  GS> for each NIC which comes off the production line?

                  GS> No, the MAC address is stored in a non volatile, programmable chip called an
                  GS> eeprom, very often a 93C06 or 93C46 on a microwire bus or one of Philips'
                  GS> I²C bus PCF85xx chips. The NIC's are then each programmed with a different
                  GS> MAC address.

                  GS> ifconfig probably doesn't make the change permanent, but the DOS drivers
                  GS> supplied with the NIC usually include a utility allowing the user to rewrite
                  GS> the MAC address in the eeprom.

                  interesting stuff, ill look into this in a month when my degree is
                  over.

                  i wish i'd done a rhce or something more useful.

                  Edward mailto:psyfybre@...
                • jhb
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 8, 2003
                    > MAC addresses are stored in rom. Either way, you
                    can override it
                    > using ifconfig (although the change is not
                    permanent).

                    No they aren't.

                    No, the MAC address is stored in a non volatile,
                    programmable chip
                    called an
                    eeprom,

                    ROM is the type of memory and eeprom is the chip they use.

                    =====
                    For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty,
                    and streams upon the dry ground;
                    I will pour my Spirit upon thy seed,
                    and my blessing uponthine offspring:
                    and they shall spring up among the grass,
                    as willows by watercourses.

                    http://users.adelphia.net/~brightjh01