Re[2]: [linux] Setting NIC speed and duplex settings

  • Edward Neville
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2003
      Hello Richard,

      Friday, May 02, 2003, 1:27:00 PM, you wrote:

      RP> I dual boot with windows 2k, which hangs if the card is left to autodetect.
      RP> Setting 10Mbps under win2k flashes these settings into the NIC memory. On
      RP> booting into linux, unless I set the access spead speed to 10 Mbps FD I
      RP> cannot access the network.

      RP> Don't know if that makes things any clearer, but will try your suggestion.

      Ive never seen a nic with flashable memory! i dont doubt they exist,
      but its never occoured to me that they might. learn something new
      every day! ill google for more info on this, hope the suggestion
      worked for you

      Edward mailto:psyfybre@...
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2003
        And Thus Spake Edward Neville <psyfybre@...> (on Fri, 2 May 2003
        15:52:20 +0100):

        > Ive never seen a nic with flashable memory!

        They all have one in one form or another. The NIC's MAC address for one
        thing is stored in it, as are its communication parameters.

        --
        G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
        Registered Linux user #284683
        Message 3 of 12 , May 7, 2003
          Hi Edward,

          > Hello Richard,
          >
          > Friday, May 02, 2003, 1:27:00 PM, you wrote:
          >
          > RP> I dual boot with windows 2k, which hangs if the card is left to
          autodetect.
          > RP> Setting 10Mbps under win2k flashes these settings into the NIC memory.
          On
          > RP> booting into linux, unless I set the access spead speed to 10 Mbps FD
          > RP> cannot access the network.
          >
          > RP> Don't know if that makes things any clearer, but will try your
          suggestion.

          > Ive never seen a nic with flashable memory! i dont doubt they exist,
          > but its never occoured to me that they might. learn something new
          > every day! ill google for more info on this, hope the suggestion
          > worked for you

          You suggestion worked a treat. Many thanks.

          Regards

          Richard
        • Edward Neville
          Message 4 of 12 , May 7, 2003
            Hello Godwin,

            Friday, May 02, 2003, 3:58:34 PM, you wrote:

            GS> And Thus Spake Edward Neville <psyfybre@...> (on Fri, 2 May 2003
            GS> 15:52:20 +0100):

            >> Ive never seen a nic with flashable memory!

            GS> They all have one in one form or another. The NIC's MAC address for one
            GS> thing is stored in it, as are its communication parameters.

            ive never thought of it like that... i thought the mac address was a
            factory burnt setting... not a programmable one... hummm maybe i can
            hijack an ip address on the college network >:).

            Edward mailto:psyfybre@...
          • Ed McMan
            Message 5 of 12 , May 7, 2003
              Wednesday, May 7, 2003, 8:29:38 PM, Edward Neville (Edward) wrote:

              Edward> Friday, May 02, 2003, 3:58:34 PM, you wrote:

              GS>> And Thus Spake Edward Neville <psyfybre@...> (on Fri, 2 May 2003
              GS>> 15:52:20 +0100):

              >>> Ive never seen a nic with flashable memory!

              GS>> They all have one in one form or another. The NIC's MAC address for one
              GS>> thing is stored in it, as are its communication parameters.

              Edward> ive never thought of it like that... i thought the mac address was a
              Edward> factory burnt setting... not a programmable one... hummm maybe i can
              Edward> hijack an ip address on the college network >:).

              MAC addresses are stored in rom. Either way, you can override it
              using ifconfig (although the change is not permanent).

              | Eddie J Schwartz <EdMcMan@[despammed.com|m00.net]> |
              | AIM: Uncaring Eyes ICQ: 35576339 YHOO: edmcman2 |
              | "We Trills have an expression -- at forty, you |
              | think you know everything. At four hundred you |
              | realize you know nothing." - Dax, Startrek DS9 |
              Message 6 of 12 , May 7, 2003
                And Thus Spake Ed McMan <edmcman@...> (on Wed, 07 May 2003
                20:50:31 -0400):

                > MAC addresses are stored in rom. Either way, you can override it
                > using ifconfig (although the change is not permanent).

                No they aren't.

                Do you really think the manufacturer is going to have a different ROM made
                for each NIC which comes off the production line?

                No, the MAC address is stored in a non volatile, programmable chip called an
                eeprom, very often a 93C06 or 93C46 on a microwire bus or one of Philips'
                I²C bus PCF85xx chips. The NIC's are then each programmed with a different
                MAC address.

                ifconfig probably doesn't make the change permanent, but the DOS drivers
                supplied with the NIC usually include a utility allowing the user to rewrite
                the MAC address in the eeprom.

                Message 7 of 12 , May 8, 2003
                  Thursday, May 8, 2003, 2:14:30 AM, Godwin Stewart (Godwin) wrote:

                  Godwin> And Thus Spake Ed McMan <edmcman@...> (on Wed, 07 May 2003
                  Godwin> 20:50:31 -0400):

                  >> MAC addresses are stored in rom. Either way, you can override it
                  >> using ifconfig (although the change is not permanent).

                  Godwin> No they aren't.

                  Godwin> Do you really think the manufacturer is going to have a different ROM made
                  Godwin> for each NIC which comes off the production line?

                  In every NIC I have seen, yes. I don't know the manufacturing
                  details.

                  Godwin> No, the MAC address is stored in a non volatile, programmable chip called an
                  Godwin> eeprom, very often a 93C06 or 93C46 on a microwire bus or one of Philips'
                  Godwin> I²C bus PCF85xx chips. The NIC's are then each programmed with a different
                  Godwin> MAC address.

                  I havn't seen that, but I use cheap cards in general.

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 8, 2003
                    Hello Godwin,

                    GS> And Thus Spake Ed McMan <edmcman@...> (on Wed, 07 May 2003
                    GS> 20:50:31 -0400):

                    >> MAC addresses are stored in rom. Either way, you can override it
                    >> using ifconfig (although the change is not permanent).

                    GS> No they aren't.

                    GS> Do you really think the manufacturer is going to have a different ROM made
                    GS> for each NIC which comes off the production line?

                    GS> No, the MAC address is stored in a non volatile, programmable chip called an
                    GS> eeprom, very often a 93C06 or 93C46 on a microwire bus or one of Philips'
                    GS> I²C bus PCF85xx chips. The NIC's are then each programmed with a different
                    GS> MAC address.

                    GS> ifconfig probably doesn't make the change permanent, but the DOS drivers
                    GS> supplied with the NIC usually include a utility allowing the user to rewrite
                    GS> the MAC address in the eeprom.

                    interesting stuff, ill look into this in a month when my degree is
                    over.

                    i wish i'd done a rhce or something more useful.

                    Edward mailto:psyfybre@...
                  • jhb
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 8, 2003
                      > MAC addresses are stored in rom. Either way, you
                      can override it
                      > using ifconfig (although the change is not
                      permanent).

                      No they aren't.

                      No, the MAC address is stored in a non volatile,
                      programmable chip
                      called an
                      eeprom,

                      ROM is the type of memory and eeprom is the chip they use.

                      =====
                      For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty,
                      and streams upon the dry ground;
                      I will pour my Spirit upon thy seed,
                      and my blessing uponthine offspring:
                      and they shall spring up among the grass,
                      as willows by watercourses.

                      http://users.adelphia.net/~brightjh01