Setting NIC speed and duplex settings

  • Richard Pitman
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2003
      Does anyone know how to make the effect of the following command stick (i.e.
      still be in force after reboot)

      mii-tool -F 10BaseT-FD eth0

      This forces 10Mbps access speed with full duplex on eth0.

      My NIC is a 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX
      Compatible)

      TIA

      Richard Pitman
    • Edward Neville
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2003
        Hello Richard,

        RP> Does anyone know how to make the effect of the following command stick (i.e.
        RP> still be in force after reboot)

        RP> mii-tool -F 10BaseT-FD eth0

        RP> This forces 10Mbps access speed with full duplex on eth0.

        RP> My NIC is a 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX
        RP> Compatible)

        cant that do 100mbit?

        anyway

        echo "mii-tool -F 10BaseT-FD eth0" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local

        :)

        most cards autodetect their optimum settings

        Edward mailto:psyfybre@...
      • Richard Pitman
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2003
          Thanks Edward,

          > Thursday, May 01, 2003, 10:24:37 AM, you wrote:
          >
          > RP> Does anyone know how to make the effect of the following command stick
          (i.e.
          > RP> still be in force after reboot)
          >
          > RP> mii-tool -F 10BaseT-FD eth0
          >
          > RP> This forces 10Mbps access speed with full duplex on eth0.
          >
          > RP> My NIC is a 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX
          > RP> Compatible)
          >
          > cant that do 100mbit?

          Yes, but the network is set to talk to me at 10Mbps.

          > anyway
          >
          > echo "mii-tool -F 10BaseT-FD eth0" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local

          Good idea! :)

          > :)
          >

          > most cards autodetect their optimum settings

          I dual boot with windows 2k, which hangs if the card is left to autodetect.
          Setting 10Mbps under win2k flashes these settings into the NIC memory. On
          booting into linux, unless I set the access spead speed to 10 Mbps FD I
          cannot access the network.

          Don't know if that makes things any clearer, but will try your suggestion.

          Many thanks.

          Richard
        • Edward Neville
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2003
            Hello Richard,

            Friday, May 02, 2003, 1:27:00 PM, you wrote:

            RP> I dual boot with windows 2k, which hangs if the card is left to autodetect.
            RP> Setting 10Mbps under win2k flashes these settings into the NIC memory. On
            RP> booting into linux, unless I set the access spead speed to 10 Mbps FD I
            RP> cannot access the network.

            RP> Don't know if that makes things any clearer, but will try your suggestion.

            Ive never seen a nic with flashable memory! i dont doubt they exist,
            but its never occoured to me that they might. learn something new
            every day! ill google for more info on this, hope the suggestion
            worked for you

            Edward mailto:psyfybre@...
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2003
              And Thus Spake Edward Neville <psyfybre@...> (on Fri, 2 May 2003
              15:52:20 +0100):

              > Ive never seen a nic with flashable memory!

              They all have one in one form or another. The NIC's MAC address for one
              thing is stored in it, as are its communication parameters.

              --
              G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
              Registered Linux user #284683
              Message 6 of 12 , May 7, 2003
                Hi Edward,

                > Hello Richard,
                >
                > Friday, May 02, 2003, 1:27:00 PM, you wrote:
                >
                > RP> I dual boot with windows 2k, which hangs if the card is left to
                autodetect.
                > RP> Setting 10Mbps under win2k flashes these settings into the NIC memory.
                On
                > RP> booting into linux, unless I set the access spead speed to 10 Mbps FD
                > RP> cannot access the network.
                >
                > RP> Don't know if that makes things any clearer, but will try your
                suggestion.

                > Ive never seen a nic with flashable memory! i dont doubt they exist,
                > but its never occoured to me that they might. learn something new
                > every day! ill google for more info on this, hope the suggestion
                > worked for you

                You suggestion worked a treat. Many thanks.

                Regards

                Richard
              • Edward Neville
                Message 7 of 12 , May 7, 2003
                  Hello Godwin,

                  Friday, May 02, 2003, 3:58:34 PM, you wrote:

                  GS> And Thus Spake Edward Neville <psyfybre@...> (on Fri, 2 May 2003
                  GS> 15:52:20 +0100):

                  >> Ive never seen a nic with flashable memory!

                  GS> They all have one in one form or another. The NIC's MAC address for one
                  GS> thing is stored in it, as are its communication parameters.

                  ive never thought of it like that... i thought the mac address was a
                  factory burnt setting... not a programmable one... hummm maybe i can
                  hijack an ip address on the college network >:).

                  Edward mailto:psyfybre@...
                • Ed McMan
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 7, 2003
                    Wednesday, May 7, 2003, 8:29:38 PM, Edward Neville (Edward) wrote:

                    Edward> Friday, May 02, 2003, 3:58:34 PM, you wrote:

                    GS>> And Thus Spake Edward Neville <psyfybre@...> (on Fri, 2 May 2003
                    GS>> 15:52:20 +0100):

                    >>> Ive never seen a nic with flashable memory!

                    GS>> They all have one in one form or another. The NIC's MAC address for one
                    GS>> thing is stored in it, as are its communication parameters.

                    Edward> ive never thought of it like that... i thought the mac address was a
                    Edward> factory burnt setting... not a programmable one... hummm maybe i can
                    Edward> hijack an ip address on the college network >:).

                    MAC addresses are stored in rom. Either way, you can override it
                    using ifconfig (although the change is not permanent).

                    | Eddie J Schwartz <EdMcMan@[despammed.com|m00.net]> |
                    | AIM: Uncaring Eyes ICQ: 35576339 YHOO: edmcman2 |
                    | "We Trills have an expression -- at forty, you |
                    | think you know everything. At four hundred you |
                    | realize you know nothing." - Dax, Startrek DS9 |
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 7, 2003
                      And Thus Spake Ed McMan <edmcman@...> (on Wed, 07 May 2003
                      20:50:31 -0400):

                      > MAC addresses are stored in rom. Either way, you can override it
                      > using ifconfig (although the change is not permanent).

                      No they aren't.

                      Do you really think the manufacturer is going to have a different ROM made
                      for each NIC which comes off the production line?

                      No, the MAC address is stored in a non volatile, programmable chip called an
                      eeprom, very often a 93C06 or 93C46 on a microwire bus or one of Philips'
                      I²C bus PCF85xx chips. The NIC's are then each programmed with a different
                      MAC address.

                      ifconfig probably doesn't make the change permanent, but the DOS drivers
                      supplied with the NIC usually include a utility allowing the user to rewrite
                      the MAC address in the eeprom.

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 8, 2003
                        Thursday, May 8, 2003, 2:14:30 AM, Godwin Stewart (Godwin) wrote:

                        Godwin> And Thus Spake Ed McMan <edmcman@...> (on Wed, 07 May 2003
                        Godwin> 20:50:31 -0400):

                        >> MAC addresses are stored in rom. Either way, you can override it
                        >> using ifconfig (although the change is not permanent).

                        Godwin> No they aren't.

                        Godwin> Do you really think the manufacturer is going to have a different ROM made
                        Godwin> for each NIC which comes off the production line?

                        In every NIC I have seen, yes. I don't know the manufacturing
                        details.

                        Godwin> No, the MAC address is stored in a non volatile, programmable chip called an
                        Godwin> eeprom, very often a 93C06 or 93C46 on a microwire bus or one of Philips'
                        Godwin> I²C bus PCF85xx chips. The NIC's are then each programmed with a different
                        Godwin> MAC address.

                        I havn't seen that, but I use cheap cards in general.

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 8, 2003
                          Hello Godwin,

                          GS> And Thus Spake Ed McMan <edmcman@...> (on Wed, 07 May 2003
                          GS> 20:50:31 -0400):

                          >> MAC addresses are stored in rom. Either way, you can override it
                          >> using ifconfig (although the change is not permanent).

                          GS> No they aren't.

                          GS> Do you really think the manufacturer is going to have a different ROM made
                          GS> for each NIC which comes off the production line?

                          GS> No, the MAC address is stored in a non volatile, programmable chip called an
                          GS> eeprom, very often a 93C06 or 93C46 on a microwire bus or one of Philips'
                          GS> I²C bus PCF85xx chips. The NIC's are then each programmed with a different
                          GS> MAC address.

                          GS> ifconfig probably doesn't make the change permanent, but the DOS drivers
                          GS> supplied with the NIC usually include a utility allowing the user to rewrite
                          GS> the MAC address in the eeprom.

                          interesting stuff, ill look into this in a month when my degree is
                          over.

                          i wish i'd done a rhce or something more useful.

                          Edward mailto:psyfybre@...
                        • jhb
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 8, 2003
                            > MAC addresses are stored in rom. Either way, you
                            can override it
                            > using ifconfig (although the change is not
                            permanent).

                            No they aren't.

                            No, the MAC address is stored in a non volatile,
                            programmable chip
                            called an
                            eeprom,

                            ROM is the type of memory and eeprom is the chip they use.

                            =====
                            For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty,
                            and streams upon the dry ground;
                            I will pour my Spirit upon thy seed,
                            and my blessing uponthine offspring:
                            and they shall spring up among the grass,
                            as willows by watercourses.

                            http://users.adelphia.net/~brightjh01