Re: [linux] Packet-Writing in Linux ??

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1 12:59 AM
      And Thus Spake Michael Epson <searcher@...> (on Mon, 31 Mar 2003
      18:00:58 -0600):

      > I'm looking for software that's comparable to DirectCD, or InCD. They
      > allow the user to write/rewrite to a CDRW, just like you would to a hard
      > drive or floppy. The best I've found so far is multisession stuff.
      > Anyone know of something like this?

      The nearest you'll get to that is UDF Packet mode write support in the
      kernel. This will probably mean having to recompile one, which you most
      likely don't yet want to do after only a fortnight tinkering with Linux.
      This being said, this feature is still considered dangerous and
      experimental.

      You might want to ask yourself *why* you want to use this feature. You are
      aware that "formatting" a CD in this way wastes about 100MB of capacity,
      right? You are also aware that Mac users can't read these CD's at all, and
      that Windows users can't read them without special software?

      Writing CD's, even in multisession mode, is not that hard with Linux. You
      might like to take a look at my CD-Writing howto page:

      http://www.sgms-centre.com/linux/howto/cdwriting

      --
      G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
      Registered Linux user #284683
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1 2:03 AM
        > And Thus Spake Michael Epson <searcher@...> (on Mon, 31 Mar 2003
        > 18:00:58 -0600):
        >
        > > I'm looking for software that's comparable to DirectCD, or InCD. They
        > > allow the user to write/rewrite to a CDRW, just like you would to a hard
        > > drive or floppy. The best I've found so far is multisession stuff.
        > > Anyone know of something like this?
        >
        > The nearest you'll get to that is UDF Packet mode write support in the
        > kernel. This will probably mean having to recompile one, which you most
        > likely don't yet want to do after only a fortnight tinkering with Linux.
        > This being said, this feature is still considered dangerous and
        > experimental.
        >
        > You might want to ask yourself *why* you want to use this feature. You are
        > aware that "formatting" a CD in this way wastes about 100MB of capacity,
        > right? You are also aware that Mac users can't read these CD's at all, and
        > that Windows users can't read them without special software?
        >
        > Writing CD's, even in multisession mode, is not that hard with Linux. You
        > might like to take a look at my CD-Writing howto page:
        >
        > http://www.sgms-centre.com/linux/howto/cdwriting
        >
        > --
        > G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
        > Registered Linux user #284683

        I would second Stewart's comments. I lost a lot of time exploring UDF under
        linux, and once I got used to the normal burning process I've not missed it.

        By the way Stewart, I am getting a "page can not be displayed error" for
        your cdwriting URL, but I can connect to other sites on the web??

        Regards

        Richard
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1 3:10 AM
          And Thus Spake "Richard Pitman" <richardjpitman@...> (on Tue, 1 Apr
          2003 11:03:25 +0100):

          > By the way Stewart

          Actually, it's Godwin. Stewart's the surname :o)

          > I am getting a "page can not be displayed error" for
          > your cdwriting URL, but I can connect to other sites on the web??

          "Page can not be displayed" is Microsoft-speak for just about any error
          under the sun (I see you're using OE5.5 and therefore probably IE5.5 as
          well). Nobody can tell what the error is from that message, however I
          suspect your browser can't find www.sgms-centre.com.

          I have no reason to believe that my provider is blocking out C&W for any
          reason. I think it more likely that C&W has routing problems at some point
          in their chain. Try running a traceroute on any of these IP addresses:

          www.sgms-centre.com. 3298 IN CNAME www.easy.fr.clara.net.
          www.easy.fr.clara.net. 18269 IN A 212.43.241.25
          www.easy.fr.clara.net. 18269 IN A 212.43.241.45
          www.easy.fr.clara.net. 18269 IN A 212.43.241.55
          www.easy.fr.clara.net. 18269 IN A 212.43.241.65
          www.easy.fr.clara.net. 18269 IN A 212.43.241.75

          If you see "No route to host" messages then the problem lies with C&W.

          Not for nothing has Cable & Wireless earned themselves the nickname
          "Clueless & Witless"...

          --
          G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
          Registered Linux user #284683
          If carrots are so good for the eyes, how come I see so many dead rabbits
          on the highway?
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1 3:14 AM
            And Thus Spake "Richard Pitman" <richardjpitman@...> (on Tue, 1 Apr
            2003 11:03:25 +0100):

            > By the way Stewart, I am getting a "page can not be displayed error" for
            > your cdwriting URL, but I can connect to other sites on the web??

            FWIW I've made a local copy of the document:

            http://www.bonivet.net/linux/howto/cdwriting/

            --
            G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
            Registered Linux user #284683
            A lot of money is tainted. 'Taint yours and 'taint mine.
          • Richard Pitman
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1 5:21 AM
              > And Thus Spake "Richard Pitman" <richardjpitman@...> (on Tue, 1
              Apr
              > 2003 11:03:25 +0100):
              >
              > > By the way Stewart, I am getting a "page can not be displayed error" for
              > > your cdwriting URL, but I can connect to other sites on the web??
              >
              > FWIW I've made a local copy of the document:
              >
              > http://www.bonivet.net/linux/howto/cdwriting/
              >
              > --
              > G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
              > Registered Linux user #284683
              > A lot of money is tainted. 'Taint yours and 'taint mine.

              Many thanks Godwin, and profuse apologies for the name gaff!

              I am at work, and so yes I am using OE5.5 and IE5.5 :(
              (I live for the day they see the light). My problem getting to your site has
              miraculously disappeared, but am sure you were right - C&W are at the heart
              of a lot of our problems.

              Regards

              Richard