RE: [linux] Active Server Pages on Linux Machines

  • James Drabb
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003

      Well, then you will be dissapointed to know it won't happen.
      There is a tool called asp2php that can help you in conversion.
      However, there is not much else. Trying to run asp on Linux
      is like putting the engine from a bug in to a porche. ASP/vbscript
      is such a weak technology/languge. PHP offers a full programming
      language. Also, if you do run asp on Linux, you will not
      have any com support. The best answer it to just take the plunge
      and port the pages/apps one at a time. You can have your IIS server
      link to the Linux/Apache server for each page/app that is ported.
      Just do it one at a time, and before you know it the whole site
      is ported.

      Jim Drabb
      Lao Tzu: "Fail to honor people, they fail to honor you."
      James Drabb JR
      Programmer Analyst
      Darden Restaurants
      Business Systems
      JDrabb at Darden dot com
    • Jim Reimer
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
        Allen D. Tate wrote:
        > Besides Chilisoft, does anyone know of any software where a Linux based
        > web server can host Active Server Pages?
        >
        > I'm asking this because my current employer is running an NT Server with
        > IIS and I'd like to switch over BUT I'm NOT converting every single page
        > & web app from ASP to PHP.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any advice, good or bad.
        >
        > Allen

        Try this: http://www.apache-asp.org/

        -jdr-
      • David Orriss Jr
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 26, 2003
          On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 03:11:04PM -0600, Jim Reimer wrote:
          > Allen D. Tate wrote:
          > > Besides Chilisoft, does anyone know of any software where a Linux based
          > > web server can host Active Server Pages?
          > >
          > > I'm asking this because my current employer is running an NT Server with
          > > IIS and I'd like to switch over BUT I'm NOT converting every single page
          > > & web app from ASP to PHP.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance for any advice, good or bad.
          > >
          > > Allen
          >
          > Try this: http://www.apache-asp.org/

          That *is* very cool, but the bulk of the code out there in ASP's is VBScript.
          So trying to move from IIS into that with your existing code won't be so
          hot.... :-/

          --

          David Orriss Jr.
        • psyfybre
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 26, 2003
            Hello David,

            DOJ> On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 03:11:04PM -0600, Jim Reimer wrote:
            >> Allen D. Tate wrote:
            >> > Besides Chilisoft, does anyone know of any software where a Linux based
            >> > web server can host Active Server Pages?
            >> >
            >> > I'm asking this because my current employer is running an NT Server with
            >> > IIS and I'd like to switch over BUT I'm NOT converting every single page
            >> > & web app from ASP to PHP.
            >> >
            >> > Thanks in advance for any advice, good or bad.
            >> >
            >> > Allen
            >>
            >> Try this: http://www.apache-asp.org/
            >>

            DOJ> That *is* very cool, but the bulk of the code out there in ASP's is VBScript.
            DOJ> So trying to move from IIS into that with your existing code won't be so
            DOJ> hot.... :-/

            why do you want to do asp? asp is derived from vb, which is not a
            portable language.. i can do both asp and php competently but i choose
            php as i am more familiar with languages like java and c which are
            available on all platforms. i admire those who wish to try new things,
            as a principle vb is meant for windows, asp therefore inherits many vb
            traits.

            as far as a language goes it should not be limited to a single
            platform, it is after all, a near-english translation of machine code.
            its just the principle of ms only code that i dislike!

            last time i looked the apache-asp module could only be run on linux
            apapche and not ms, weird huh!

            psyfybre mailto:psyfybre@...