newby question

  • David Nikolic
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2003
      hello,

      my name is david and i am very new in linux. i installed suse 8.0 on one
      partition (win98 is on the other).
      because i have work to do i dont have much time for experimenting, so i have
      few questions.

      1) today, i tried to configure my internet connection, but i failed. it is
      dial up, microlink 56k external modem. suse recognize it during
      installation, but when i try to connect, everything was ok until password
      recognizing reach... then comes message that initialization failed. i am
      getting this log:

      Cannot open any of the following logfiles:
      /var/log/syslog.ppp
      /var/log/syslog
      /var/log/messages

      any help?

      2) i know that wine is for win apps, but i dont know how to use it. can you
      explain it to me?

      3) bonus question. my girlfriend have pentium I, 166 MHz and she installed
      RH 7.1, but RH didnt recognized soundcard (sound blaster compatible). she,
      also, have the same problem with modem as i have.

      ___________
      David Nikolic
      SERBIA
    • Shawn Tan

        On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 20:45:03 +0100
        "David Nikolic" <davidgm@...> wrote:

        > hello,
        >
        > my name is david and i am very new in linux. i installed suse 8.0 on
        > one partition (win98 is on the other).
        > because i have work to do i dont have much time for experimenting, so
        > i have few questions.
        >
        > 1) today, i tried to configure my internet connection, but i failed.
        > it is dial up, microlink 56k external modem. suse recognize it during
        > installation, but when i try to connect, everything was ok until
        > password recognizing reach... then comes message that initialization
        > failed. i am getting this log:
        >
        > Cannot open any of the following logfiles:
        > /var/log/syslog.ppp
        > /var/log/syslog
        > /var/log/messages
        >
        > any help?

        I'm not really sure what's wrong here but it looks like a ppp problem..
        does it work if you try running it as root?? could be a permissions
        problem.. anyway, if the files are missing you can create them by using
        touch /var/log/filename.ext... but if these logs are missing, it usually
        means something else is going on...

        > 2) i know that wine is for win apps, but i dont know how to use it.
        > can you explain it to me?

        Well, if you have the source code, just compile it using the standard
        configure, make, make install... Then, you'll need to setup your
        ~/.wine/config file.. then, to run any windows app, just run wine
        executable.exe... that's pretty much it... you should refer to
        winehq.com for more information...

        > 3) bonus question. my girlfriend have pentium I, 166 MHz and she
        > installed RH 7.1, but RH didnt recognized soundcard (sound blaster
        > compatible). she, also, have the same problem with modem as i have.

        What do I get for answering the bonus question???? (:
        Anyway, you could try using the sndconfig utility... but seriously, you
        should try using a more recent version... depending on how much RAM she
        has, you could try a more recent RH 7.3 or RH8...

        Kudos for getting your girlfriend to use Linux... I've been trying to
        convince mine for months... (: not successful yet...

        > ___________
        > David Nikolic
        > SERBIA

        with metta,
        Shawn Tan.
        ICQ UIN: 1802628 keyserver.net: F9BA3B9A counter.li.org: 297959

        Q: What is purple and commutes?
        A: An Abelian grape.
      • Randy N. Peer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2003
          David Nikolic wrote:

          > 1) today, i tried to configure my internet connection, but i failed. it is
          > dial up, microlink 56k external modem. suse recognize it during
          > installation, but when i try to connect, everything was ok until password
          > recognizing reach...

          Hi David:

          I'm fairly new to Linux myself, but I had a similar problem a few years
          ago. I had a dialup account with one of our bigger ISP's up here and it
          was working fine. They upgraded their systems and all of a sudden I
          couldn't log on anymore. As it turned out, previously they didn't
          require a CHAP secret but after the upgrade I had to configure that!

          So maybe it wouldn't hurt if you were to check out whethor or not your
          ISP requires PAP & CHAP secrets???

          Randy.
        • David Nikolic
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2003
            > David Nikolic wrote:
            > >
            > > 1) today, i tried to configure my internet connection, but i failed. it
            is
            > > dial up, microlink 56k external modem. suse recognize it during
            > > installation, but when i try to connect, everything was ok until
            password
            > > recognizing reach...
            >
            > Hi David:
            >
            > I'm fairly new to Linux myself, but I had a similar problem a few years
            > ago. I had a dialup account with one of our bigger ISP's up here and it
            > was working fine. They upgraded their systems and all of a sudden I
            > couldn't log on anymore. As it turned out, previously they didn't
            > require a CHAP secret but after the upgrade I had to configure that!
            >
            > So maybe it wouldn't hurt if you were to check out whethor or not your
            > ISP requires PAP & CHAP secrets???
            >
            > Randy.

            i will check it with provider(s).
            thank you.