Re: [linux] 3 ethernet cards in one debian server. How?

  • psyfybre
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
      Hello Black,

      BC> Hy all. I've got an interresting question, hope u can
      BC> help me.
      BC> I've got a Debian Woody 2.4.19 Server, wich has a
      BC> dedicated IP number. (x.y.z.v :) ) There is one
      BC> ethernet card for connection with the outer network,
      BC> it is an UTP (with a cable modem). The other card is
      BC> serving the inner network, wich has the 192.168.x.y IP
      BC> number range. There are old PI pcs with BNC network
      BC> connection only. Now we got some new pcs, but with UTP
      BC> connection only. We don't want to change the old BNC
      BC> network, but we want to use the UTP too, on the same
      BC> server. So I had 2 ideas. First, using Ethernet
      BC> Bridging. As far as I know, it is exactly for what I
      BC> want, to see two ethernet segments as one. But I don't
      BC> really know, how to do this. The other one is, to give
      BC> the new ethernet card the 10.x.y.z ip address range.
      BC> And so the old bnc network would have the 192.168.x.y,
      BC> while the other one would have the 10.x.y.z ip range.
      BC> What do u think? Wich is the better idea, or r there
      BC> any other possibilities? (I'm not intended to use
      BC> other hardware)
      BC> Has anyone did such thing before?
      BC> Thank u the answers, in advance.
      BC> (ps.: some example configs would be ql too...)

      personally i would use 192.168.0.x and 192.168.10.x and have two
      segments, its not quite what you're asking for but its sufficient.

      what i have seen of linux it is often better when you have PNP OS
      disabled in the BIOS, but this reduces the number of IRQ's available,
      having three NIC's could cause problems for you.

      its not too taxing to have three cards, just use ifconfig lines as
      follows:

      ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 netmask 192.168.1.255
      ifconfig eth2 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0 netmaks 192.168.2.255

      I hope this helps. maybe im stupid and not understnading your question
      correctly, but in any event i hope the information doesnt hurt.

      psyfybre mailto:psyfybre@...
    • Black Cat
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2003
        --- psyfybre <psyfybre@...> wrote:
        > Hello Black,
        > Friday, January 03, 2003, 10:59:48 AM, you wrote:
        Thank u, it solveds the problem. I tried a very
        complicated way first, as usual... :)

        =====
        CU Black Cat (http://blackcat.hvx-group.com)
        ICQ UIN:#108853100 undernet: #vxers, #vxtrader, #virus, #virii, #vx, #vir ircnet: #virus, #hvx, #eurohack, #asm.hu, #delphi.hu, #crack.hu
        Black Cat is the member of the [BCVG], [HVX]
        * Hungarian VXers [HVX] OFFLINE
        * Black Cat Virii Group [BCVG] http://www.ebcvg.com

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com