Re: [linux] New Computer, linux install problems

  • Ajay Gautam
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2003
      --- "Kevin C.Zee" <psycho@...> wrote:
      > > > Any ideas what could be wrong ? I suspect faulty
      > > > hardware (the 512 MB RAM chip).
      > >

      > I would try re-seating them - that very well could
      > fix it.

      Sorry, forgot to mention that I tried that already.
      Same results.

      Thanks

      =====
      Ajay Gautam
      Tired of unwanted pop-up ads, try http://www.mozilla.org
      http://ajaygautam.tripod.com/

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Ed McMan
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2003
        Wednesday, January 1, 2003, 8:36:42 AM, Ajay Gautam (Ajay) wrote:

        >> I would try re-seating them - that very well could
        >> fix it.

        Ajay> Sorry, forgot to mention that I tried that already.
        Ajay> Same results.

        Did you try another stick of ram?

        | Eddie J Schwartz <EdMcMan@...> http://www.m00.net |
        | AIM: The Cypher ICQ: 35576339 YHOO: edmcman2 MSN:edmcman@^ |
        | SMS: 7174716174@... "We Trills have an expression-- |
        | at forty, you think you know everything. At four hundred |
        | hundred, you realize you know nothing." - Dax, ST-DS9 |
      • Jay Cornwall
        • Ajay Gautam
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2003
            --- Ed McMan <edmcman@...> wrote:

            > Did you try another stick of ram?

            Unfortunately, I did not have a spare DDR RAM stick
            lying around. The ones in my old computer did not fit
            in this DDR slot.

            I am taking the machine to the store to have the guy
            replace the stick and would try the installation there
            itself.

            Thanks

            =====

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2003
              --- Jay Cornwall <jay@...> wrote:

              > You could try giving the system a memory test with
              > memtest86
              > (http://www.memtest86.com/), that normally picks up
              > bad memory.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Jay

              Thanks Jay, now there's something useful !! :)

              Any other similar utilities for other parts of the
              system ? I have a ASUS motherboard and a Geforce card.

              Thanks

              =====

            • George Osvald <mail@okstudio.com.au>
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
                --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Ajay Gautam <ajaygautam@y...> wrote:
                > Hello,
                >
                > After a few weeks of thinking, I finally bought myself
                > a new computer day before yesterday. Config:
                >
                > - AMD XP 2600
                > - Asus A7N8X dx
                > (http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7n8x/overview.htm)
                > - MSI GeForce4 128MB

                > Yesterday evening, I was trying to install Linux on
                > it. I tried Mandrake 9.0, Redhat 8.0, Gentoo 1.4 Live
                > (UT), Suse Live 8.0. None of these worked, All hanged
                > or crashed or kernel paniced at some stage or the
                > other, at random.

                I do know if this helps but I just build a system using the same board
                and I am sorry to say but I think we both made a mistake. My board had
                to be replace as the first one I got did not work at all. When trying
                to run setup with the second one I got a bunch of messages just like
                you. I tried RedHat 8.0 (I have been using only linux for about 3-4
                years) but I got all of those kernel panic messages. Just to test it I
                pulled out my old Win 98 CD and it halted mid-way I think when it
                tried to create a swap file.
                To make the long story short I discovered that the board will only run
                if the system bus frequency is in sync with the frequency of your
                system memory. That pisses me of to be honest as I bought DDR 400
                memory and I have to go one step down because the bus speed is 333Mhz.
                Try to go in to your bios setup and check your settings. Your memory
                is PCI 2700 which runs at 166Mz. Set your bus frequency to the same
                value. It should be a default setting any way unless you were playing
                with jumpers on your board.

                Hope this helps.

                Check out my message about the 3com LAN and USB. Those problems are
                awaiting you.