Re: just a observation

  • Christian K
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 1999
      > I(hate)mac they are still going down hill. I dont think you can put Linux on an
      > I mac.
      yellow dog ppc linux...try it..<G>

      actually I like mac's once you realize that they are an appliance not a
      computer...

      --
      Christian K.

      cker@...
      icq# 7781838
      AIM CKerCal
      http://www.psynet.net/cker
    • Jim_F._Goeke@xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 6, 1999
        this is a great thing to know! i tried once but could not get it to boot. I
        tired LILO and a boot disk. maybe it was just me.

        Any thing i should know before i try it again?

        thanks

        Ed McMan <ed@...> on 07/01/99 03:30:06 PM

        Please respond to linux@onelist.com

        To: linux@onelist.com
        cc: robin@... (bcc: Jim F. Goeke/gg/DadeInt)
        Subject: Re: [linux] just a observation

        From: Ed McMan <ed@...>

        Ok, you don't know anything. Linux goes on macs very well. Don't believe
        me? Well, too bad. I'm on one. It works fine with iMacs too. Apple is
        not going downhill, either.

        From, Ed McMan of EdMcMan.Yi.Org (shell.m00.net)

        On Thu, 1 Jul 1999 Jim_F._Goeke@... wrote:

        > From: Jim_F._Goeke@...
        >
        > I was not cruel. I was nice. i could of given him a compaq and made him a
        > Novel client. but i granted his wish for him, in truly Borg fashion, and let
        > him keep his mac. The cruel thing was i took out his CD-ROM to make sure he
        > could not reload his mac-os. Resistance is Futile!!!! I have no love for
        > mac's or their users. Apple had the upper hand when they came out but they
        made
        > one mistake. Closed Architecture. that was their downfall. now with the new
        > I(hate)mac they are still going down hill. I dont think you can put Linux on
        an
        > I mac.
        >
        > My hogpog is just the servers. I dont want to think about what is in the
        > labs.... i did see an xt case someplace....
        >
        > I to am pushing for linux. Im testing WINE as we speak. if i can get all the
        > EE programs to work with it NT is going to be gone.
        >
        > take care and fight the good fight.
        >
        > Jim

        Where do some of the Internet's largest email lists reside?
        http://www.onelist.com
        At ONElist - the most scalable and reliable service on the Internet.

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 6, 1999
          they are like a toster made by a bread company. only the companys bread will
          fit in it. It is nice to know that Linux WILL work on a mac.

          macs and the mac OS is just for people that cant use a computer. I still like
          the mac comercial where they are saying things about the PC
          like Perpetually Complicated. They left out one....Physically Changeable!

          sorry... I think Mr Jobs fucked up when he welded the Imac case shut and did not
          release the architecture.

          Christian K <cker@...> on 07/01/99 06:25:53 PM

          Please respond to linux@onelist.com

          To: linux@onelist.com
          cc: (bcc: Jim F. Goeke/gg/DadeInt)

          From: Christian K <cker@...>

          > I(hate)mac they are still going down hill. I dont think you can put Linux on
          an
          > I mac.
          yellow dog ppc linux...try it..<G>

          actually I like mac's once you realize that they are an appliance not a
          computer...

          --
          Christian K.

          cker@...
          icq# 7781838
          AIM CKerCal
          http://www.psynet.net/cker

          What do fashion and football have in common?
          http://www.onelist.com
          They both have communities at ONElist. Find yours today!

        • Ed McMan
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 6, 1999
            Sorry, I think you were fucked up when you born. Again, how much
            experience do you have with macs? Maybe if you looked at www.apple.com
            you'd see how easy it is to "physically change" Macs. My box which is
            about 1.5 years old costs twice as less as a pentium II and still
            outperforms it. I never had to upgrade it, but I have taken off the case
            to peek around a few times, and I have plenty of free slots to install
            things.

          • Jim_F._Goeke@xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 6, 1999
              and from who do you have to get those things from?

              that and go open an I mac and upgrade the memory or install a floppy disk.

              Ed McMan <ed@...> on 07/06/99 11:12:28 AM

              Please respond to linux@onelist.com

              To: linux@onelist.com
              cc: (bcc: Jim F. Goeke/gg/DadeInt)

              From: Ed McMan <ed@...>

              Sorry, I think you were fucked up when you born. Again, how much
              experience do you have with macs? Maybe if you looked at www.apple.com
              you'd see how easy it is to "physically change" Macs. My box which is
              about 1.5 years old costs twice as less as a pentium II and still
              outperforms it. I never had to upgrade it, but I have taken off the case
              to peek around a few times, and I have plenty of free slots to install
              things.

              From, Ed McMan of EdMcMan.Yi.Org (shell.m00.net)

              On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 Jim_F._Goeke@... wrote:

              > From: Jim_F._Goeke@...
              >
              > they are like a toster made by a bread company. only the companys bread will
              > fit in it. It is nice to know that Linux WILL work on a mac.
              >
              > macs and the mac OS is just for people that cant use a computer. I still like
              > the mac comercial where they are saying things about the PC
              > like Perpetually Complicated. They left out one....Physically Changeable!
              >
              > sorry... I think Mr Jobs fucked up when he welded the Imac case shut and did
              not
              > release the architecture.
              >

              > Christian K <cker@...> on 07/01/99 06:25:53 PM
              >
              > Please respond to linux@onelist.com
              >
              > To: linux@onelist.com
              > cc: (bcc: Jim F. Goeke/gg/DadeInt)
              > Subject: Re: [linux] just a observation
              >

              > From: Christian K <cker@...>
              >
              > > I(hate)mac they are still going down hill. I dont think you can put Linux
              on
              > an
              > > I mac.
              > yellow dog ppc linux...try it..<G>
              >
              > actually I like mac's once you realize that they are an appliance not a
              > computer...
              >
              > --
              > Christian K.
              >
              > cker@...
              > icq# 7781838
              > AIM CKerCal
              > http://www.psynet.net/cker

              > What do fashion and football have in common?
              > http://www.onelist.com
              > They both have communities at ONElist. Find yours today!

              > With more than 20 million e-mails exchanged daily...
              > http://www.onelist.com
              > ...ONElist is home to the liveliest discussions on the Internet!

              http://www.onelist.com
              Are you? If not, see our homepage for details.

            • Ed McMan
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 6, 1999
                MacMall
                MacWarehouse
                ClubMac
                there are many companies with upgrades.
                Yes, the iMac's memory is upgradeable, and a floppy is available. I
                havn't used a floppy for over a year, it seems only pc users would use
                such a slow, and small type of storage.

                From, Ed McMan of EdMcMan.Yi.Org (shell.m00.net)

                On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 Jim_F._Goeke@... wrote:

                > From: Jim_F._Goeke@...
                >
                > and from who do you have to get those things from?

              • Brandon Penglase
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 6, 1999
                  most likely the Imac Floppy is USB or something like that. Yes, most
                  macs out perform the PC, and again that is why some people like them
                  better.

                  Jim_F._Goeke@... wrote:

                  > From: Jim_F._Goeke@...
                  >
                  > and from who do you have to get those things from?
                  >
                  > that and go open an I mac and upgrade the memory or install a floppy disk.
                  >
                  > Ed McMan <ed@...> on 07/06/99 11:12:28 AM
                  >
                  > Please respond to linux@onelist.com
                  >
                  > To: linux@onelist.com
                  > cc: (bcc: Jim F. Goeke/gg/DadeInt)
                  > Subject: Re: [linux] just a observation
                  >
                  > From: Ed McMan <ed@...>
                  >
                  > Sorry, I think you were fucked up when you born. Again, how much
                  > experience do you have with macs? Maybe if you looked at www.apple.com
                  > you'd see how easy it is to "physically change" Macs. My box which is
                  > about 1.5 years old costs twice as less as a pentium II and still
                  > outperforms it. I never had to upgrade it, but I have taken off the case
                  > to peek around a few times, and I have plenty of free slots to install
                  > things.

                  > From, Ed McMan of EdMcMan.Yi.Org (shell.m00.net)
                  >
                  > On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 Jim_F._Goeke@... wrote:
                  >
                  > > From: Jim_F._Goeke@...
                  > >
                  > > they are like a toster made by a bread company. only the companys bread will
                  > > fit in it. It is nice to know that Linux WILL work on a mac.
                  > >
                  > > macs and the mac OS is just for people that cant use a computer. I still like
                  > > the mac comercial where they are saying things about the PC
                  > > like Perpetually Complicated. They left out one....Physically Changeable!
                  > >
                  > > sorry... I think Mr Jobs fucked up when he welded the Imac case shut and did
                  > not
                  > > release the architecture.
                  > >

                  > > Christian K <cker@...> on 07/01/99 06:25:53 PM
                  > >
                  > > Please respond to linux@onelist.com
                  > >
                  > > To: linux@onelist.com
                  > > cc: (bcc: Jim F. Goeke/gg/DadeInt)
                  > > Subject: Re: [linux] just a observation
                  > >

                  > > From: Christian K <cker@...>
                  > >
                  > > > I(hate)mac they are still going down hill. I dont think you can put Linux
                  > on
                  > > an
                  > > > I mac.
                  > > yellow dog ppc linux...try it..<G>
                  > >
                  > > actually I like mac's once you realize that they are an appliance not a
                  > > computer...
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Christian K.
                  > >
                  > > cker@...
                  > > icq# 7781838
                  > > AIM CKerCal
                  > > http://www.psynet.net/cker

                  > > What do fashion and football have in common?
                  > > http://www.onelist.com
                  > > They both have communities at ONElist. Find yours today!

                  > > With more than 20 million e-mails exchanged daily...
                  > > http://www.onelist.com
                  > > ...ONElist is home to the liveliest discussions on the Internet!

                  > ONElist members are using Shared Files in great ways!
                  > http://www.onelist.com
                  > Are you? If not, see our homepage for details.

                  > Find people who care about what you care about.
                  > http://www.onelist.com
                  > At ONElist: your connection to community.

                • Eric Hungerford
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 6, 1999
                    well, you were a lucky one... I'm guessing you got a PowerMac when they
                    started using PCI slots? I've got a Performa 640 which amazingly has a DOS
                    (PC) card built in... let's see PC's do that! (I know, "PC's don't need to
                    do that! unlike stupid old Macs!") LOL that's a big crock. ahh well, It's
                    not so great though, and it sucks up one of the few free slots I have... the
                    Nubus slot... I wish it didn't though, as I want to buy a Ethernet card, and
                    the only choice is to buy for the Comm slot... they cost well over double...
                    and there's the video slot for video input and output... ahh well it was
                    fun, and dad still uses it.

                    Eric

                    Sorry, I think you were fucked up when you born. Again, how much
                    experience do you have with macs? Maybe if you looked at www.apple.com

                    ---------------------------

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 6, 1999
                      "and from who do you have to get those things from?"

                      You mean the cards for the slots? You can use normal PCI cards in most
                      PowerMacs... You know, the SAME PCI as is standard in PCs.

                      "that and go open an I mac and upgrade the memory or install a floppy disk."

                      Actually, memory is the simplest thing to install... they use normal SIMMs
                      and DIMMs just like PCs. The only people who buy Mac-specific DIMMs are the
                      ones who don't understand THERE'S NO DIFFERENCE!!!

                      Floppies are even simpler, as most of them are on nice mounting brackets
                      that you can slip out (PC's only just started this....) and they only have
                      ONE cable going to the back instead of two... SIMPLE. Though, if you want me
                      to take an unbiased approach, PC floppies are much cheaper ($30 or so). But,
                      PCs don't have electronic eject either...

                      Don't go calling me a Mac freak... I started on Macs... but I use PCs all
                      the time... and I have built my own PCs since I was 11 (I'm 16 now). Unlike
                      many people, I will admit that BOTH PCs and Macs have BENEFITS and
                      DRAWBACKS, and I know most of each. As far as things go, they pretty much
                      balance out... I would not call either better as that is a matter of
                      preference. But anyone willing to say one is better than the other is purely
                      Biased.

                      Eric

                      Ed McMan <ed@...> on 07/06/99 11:12:28 AM

                      Please respond to linux@onelist.com

                      To: linux@onelist.com
                      cc: (bcc: Jim F. Goeke/gg/DadeInt)

                      From: Ed McMan <ed@...>

                      Sorry, I think you were fucked up when you born. Again, how much
                      experience do you have with macs? Maybe if you looked at www.apple.com

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 7, 1999
                        they have eithernet "cards" that you can connect via your appletalk
                        ports..havn't tried it though