Re: kernel question

  • Michiel van Wessem
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 1999
      On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Charles Salada wrote:

      > From: Charles Salada <sluglord01@...>
      >
      > This is probably a question already answered, but Where do I get the
      > latest kernel and how do I compile it? I have 2.2.5-15

      the newest kernel can be found at ftp.kernel.org or at a mirror
      ftp.xx.kernel.org (where xx is a country [like ftp.fi.kernel.org]

      Michiel
    • jesserlynch
      Message 2 of 4 , May 23 7:24 AM
        Hi

        I have a question about my kernel. My system was originally boring
        Linspire 4.5, but I upgraded it to a better Debian system using
        apt-get and synaptic. It took some effort, but over all the upgrade
        was easy and I am enjoying being able to use Gnome 2.10 and Kde 3.3.

        A few days ago I added ubuntu repositories to my sources.list
        (probably a stupid idea, I know) and attempted to upgrade acpid using
        synaptic. Synaptic installed the Ubuntu acpid (I was trying to get
        laptop power management support from Ubuntu since my apt-get upgrade
        of Linspire got rid of Linspire's click-n-run version Laptop power
        management package (suspend, etc)), but the ubuntu acpid package
        became broken since synaptic tried but failed to upgrade
        module-init-tools from the "lindows" version to the sarge testing
        version. So I removed acpid, and when I did synaptic also removed a
        few of the "Lindows" packages, including one called
        Lindows-kernel-image or something like that.

        Currently synaptic does not find any "kernel-image" debian package
        when I do a search for installed packages. Yet my computer is on and
        working perfectly and I don't have any broken packages any more. My
        attempts to install one of the kernel image packages listed in
        synaptic have been a failure.

        Sorry for rambling on. Finally, I come to my question. And I know it's
        probably silly.

        The boot directory does still contain vmlinuz-2.4.24 (which came from
        the original Linspire install) and init-2.4.24.gz

        It also contains init-2.4.24.gz.new, init-2.4.24.gz.old and
        safe_init-2.4.24.gz

        So do I have a kernel installed? And if I reboot my machine will I
        avoid a "kernel panic" message and have a successful reboot even
        though I can't find any installed debian package in synaptic named
        "kernel-image"?

        Here's how my lilo.conf looks

        # Generated by jiffyboot version 5.0.222. If this file is edited, the
        # system will stop modifying it. To allow the system to resume
        # management of this file, remove it and run /sbin/jiffyboot.

        boot=/dev/discs/disc0/disc
        install=/boot/cboot.b
        message = /boot/splash.lilo
        map=/boot/map
        fix-table
        lba32
        prompt
        delay=70
        timeout=70
        default = Linspire
        image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24
        label=Linspire
        root=/dev/hda3
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.24.gz
        append="mem=nopentium resume=/dev/hda2"
        image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24
        label=Redetect
        root=/dev/hda3
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.24.gz
        append="mem=nopentium noresume redetect resume=/dev/hda2"
        image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24
        label=Diagnostics
        root=/dev/hda3
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.24.gz
        append="mem=nopentium noresume resume=/dev/hda2 single"

        I'm a bit afraid to reboot my machine
      • Michael Kjorling
        Message 3 of 4 , May 23 7:56 AM
          On 2005-05-23 14:24 -0000, jesserlynch@... wrote:
          > The boot directory does still contain vmlinuz-2.4.24 (which came from
          > the original Linspire install) and init-2.4.24.gz
          >
          > It also contains init-2.4.24.gz.new, init-2.4.24.gz.old and
          > safe_init-2.4.24.gz
          >
          > So do I have a kernel installed?

          From what you have told, it looks that way. It's hard to tell about
          any necessary kernel modules, though.

          > And if I reboot my machine will I
          > avoid a "kernel panic" message and have a successful reboot even
          > though I can't find any installed debian package in synaptic named
          > "kernel-image"?

          If you don't have a kernel installed, it cannot panic. The boot loader
          can and most likely will fail, however.

          Kernel panics occur when the running kernel encounters a situation it
          cannot handle, such as a missing init binary or null pointer
          dereference. (In user-land applications the latter kind of mistakes
          cause a segmentation fault, but the kernel does not have that
          luxuary.)

          You want to check to make sure that the kernel image pointed to by
          your boot loader (in LILO, that's the image= directive) exists, and
          that the modules (if any) are still around under
          /lib/modules/`uname -r`. If that is the case, you have a complete (as
          in working) kernel installation. However, if you are missing critical
          system packages such as module-init-tools, coreutils or the likes,
          your system might not boot anyway. The kernel is only one part of a
          working GNU/Linux system. Take a look at the Linux From Scratch book
          if you don't believe me...

          --
          Michael Kjörling, michael@... - http://michael.kjorling.com/
          * ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Against HTML Mail, Proprietary Attachments *