DVD/CD-RW support

  • Justin Alexander
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2002
      I've got a laptop with a QSI SBW-081 DVD/CD-RW combo drive.

      It works well under windows <<Spit>>, and kinda under linux.

      I can read data discs, music CDs, and to a limited extent play DVDs
      (though they are very jumpy). I can NOT write to CDRs.

      And I can find no specific info on QSI drivers for linux anywhere.

      I am interested in cleaning up the DVD playback, and enabling cd burning
      from Linux. (my kernel is 2.4.19)

      Any ideas?
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2002
        On 31 Oct 2002 11:18:08 -0500, Justin Alexander <jkareg@...>
        wrote to Undisclosed-Recipient: ;:

        > I am interested in cleaning up the DVD playback, and enabling cd burning
        > from Linux. (my kernel is 2.4.19)

        If it's an IDE/SCSI/USB drive then you'll probably find the answers you're
        looking for in my CD-writing howto:

        http://www.sgms-centre.com/cdwriting

        BTW, please don't simply Bcc: your messages to the list. If you do that,
        people are going to receive mails where neither their address nor that of a
        mailing list they subscribe to is in either "To:" or the "Cc:" headers.
        Viruses often spread that way, so some people might simply reject such mails
        in their filters.

        --
        G. Stewart -- gstewart@...
        gstewart@...

        GnuPG key : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
        Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4 0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
        Recorded message on an answerphone: "This is not an answering
        machine, this is a telepathic thought-recording device. After
        the tone, think about your name, your number, and your reason
        for calling.... and I'll think about returning your call."
      • Jerry A. Stevens
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2002
          > I've got a laptop with a QSI SBW-081 DVD/CD-RW combo drive.
          >
          > It works well under windows <<Spit>>, and kinda under linux.
          >
          > I can read data discs, music CDs, and to a limited extent play DVDs
          > (though they are very jumpy). I can NOT write to CDRs.
          >
          > And I can find no specific info on QSI drivers for linux anywhere.
          >
          > I am interested in cleaning up the DVD playback, and enabling cd burning
          > from Linux. (my kernel is 2.4.19)
          >
          > Any ideas?

          Read Godwin's CD writing faq:

          http://www.sgms-centre.com/cdwriting/

          Whic is referenced in the newbie fag:

          http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html

          Have fun:-)

          Jerry
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 31, 2002
            On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:49:37 -0600, "Jerry A. Stevens"
            <jstevens@...> wrote to linux@yahoogroups.com:

            > ...referenced in the newbie fag:
            ^^^
            Now, let's not start discriminating about alternative lifestyles :o)

            --
            G. Stewart -- gstewart@...
            gstewart@...
            Registered Linux user #284683

            GnuPG key : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
            Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4 0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
            There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly
            is another theory which states that this has already happened.
          • Jerry A. Stevens
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 31, 2002
              On Thursday 31 October 2002 04:27 pm, you wrote:
              > On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:49:37 -0600, "Jerry A. Stevens"
              >
              > <jstevens@...> wrote to linux@yahoogroups.com:
              > > ...referenced in the newbie fag:
              >
              > ^^^
              > Now, let's not start discriminating about alternative lifestyles :o)

              G's and Q's. Had a problem in a qmail script that took me 3 days to fix
              because of the same typo.

              Jerry
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 31, 2002
                On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:42:31 -0600, "Jerry A. Stevens"
                <jstevens@...> wrote to linux@yahoogroups.com:

                > G's and Q's. Had a problem in a qmail script that took me 3 days to fix
                > because of the same typo.

                LOL :)

                Well, I'm the schmuck who spent days trying to debug a PHP script because
                I'd used "=" instead of "==" when comaring two variables...

                --
                G. Stewart -- gstewart@...
                gstewart@...
                Registered Linux user #284683

                GnuPG key : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
                Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4 0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
                Sign spotted on a repair shop door:
                WE CAN REPAIR ANYTHING.
                (PLEASE KNOCK HARD ON THE DOOR - THE BELL DOESN'T WORK)
              • Justin Kuto
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 31, 2002
                  You might need to enable SCSI emulation to write directly to the IDE
                  bus on the CD-R drive.