Pardon my newby-ness

  • sidneywebb
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2002
      Hi, my name is Sid.

      I've been a Windows user since version 286, many years ago (pre-dates
      Windows 3.0 by about 2 years). I have XP on my home system, and
      decided to investigate switching to Linux. I've heard good things
      about the OS, and especially that it's secure. I spend a lot of time
      online through a cable modem and need to know that I'm safe from
      viruses, trojans, and hack attacks.

      I installed Red Hat 7.3 yesterday, and began to work with it. I have
      a few questions.

      During the install I elected to install EVERYTHING on the premise
      that's it's easier (usually) to get rid of something than to find it
      later. So I have both Gnome and KDE installed. The system comes up
      into Gnome. How can I try out the KDE interface? Do I have to go back
      through the install again?

      I am used to having the Control Panel application in Windows to view,
      change and play with system settings. I am diabetic with severe
      neuropathy in my hands, so using a mouse is difficult for me. I need
      to adjust the double-click interval and the speed of the mouse. I
      found a place to change the speed, but cannot locate anything to
      change the double-click interval.

      My eyes aren't so good either (I'm getting old, and suffer from CRS -
      Can't Remember-S__t). On my 19" monitor the window control buttons in
      the upper right corner are only about 4mm square, and therefore hard
      to hit with the mouse. Can I resize them? If so, how?

      Can the size of the mouse cursor be increased? How?

      In the mail application under Mozilla, messages are displayed in a
      very small font. Can that be changed? If so, where. I can't seem to
      find a place to change the font and size used as default by the
      system, as I can in Windows. Is there such a setting?

      I need to install my Lexmark Z23 printer, and it's not on the list,
      so I went to the Lexmark site and downloaded a Linux driver. The
      filename ends with .TAR.GZ, and they say I should unzip it using
      GZip, "which was installed with your Linux distribution." I've looked
      everywhere I can think of (at this point in my newby-ness), and can't
      find any sort of program that unzips. Help?

      I have many more questions, but will stop here. Answers to these will
      enable me to work easier with Linux, and maybe then, I can find my
      own answers to other questions.

      Thanks in advance for any help.

      Sid Webb
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2002
        On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 17:00:20 -0000, "sidneywebb" <swebb3@...> wrote
        to linux@yahoogroups.com:

        > I've been a Windows user since version 286, many years ago (pre-dates
        > Windows 3.0 by about 2 years).

        Nobody's perfect :)

        > I have XP on my home system,

        Oh yeah, that thing called Xcrement Pile :)

        > and decided to investigate switching to Linux. I've heard good things
        > about the OS, and especially that it's secure. I spend a lot of time
        > online through a cable modem and need to know that I'm safe from
        > viruses, trojans, and hack attacks.

        It's as secure as you make it. The biggest difference in that area between
        Linux and Windows is that you don't need to go out and $pend yet more ca$h
        on a firewall which will be no more secure than the system it's running on,
        everything you need already comes with Linux - it's even built right into
        the kernel.

        > During the install I elected to install EVERYTHING on the premise
        > that's it's easier (usually) to get rid of something than to find it
        > later. So I have both Gnome and KDE installed. The system comes up
        > into Gnome. How can I try out the KDE interface? Do I have to go back
        > through the install again?

        Go into the "foot" menu and select "Run command..." or whatever the Gnome
        equivalent is. Type "switchdesk" (without the quotes) and you'll be asked
        which desktop you want to use. Log out of Gnome, then start the graphics
        engine again with startx, and you should be running KDE.

        > I am used to having the Control Panel application in Windows to view,
        > change and play with system settings. I am diabetic with severe
        > neuropathy in my hands, so using a mouse is difficult for me. I need
        > to adjust the double-click interval and the speed of the mouse. I
        > found a place to change the speed, but cannot locate anything to
        > change the double-click interval.

        That I don't know, I'm afraid.

        > My eyes aren't so good either (I'm getting old, and suffer from CRS -
        > Can't Remember-S__t). On my 19" monitor the window control buttons in
        > the upper right corner are only about 4mm square, and therefore hard
        > to hit with the mouse. Can I resize them? If so, how?

        Possibly by choosing a different display theme. Once in KDE, right-click on
        a window's title bar, go into "Decoration" and play around with the various
        options available.

        > Can the size of the mouse cursor be increased? How?

        I don't think so.

        > In the mail application under Mozilla, messages are displayed in a
        > very small font. Can that be changed? If so, where. I can't seem to
        > find a place to change the font and size used as default by the
        > system, as I can in Windows. Is there such a setting?

        I don't use Mozilla for mail, so I can't help there.

        http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html#program

        --
        Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of
        that comes from bad judgment.
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2002
          On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 05:00:20PM -0000, sidneywebb wrote:
          > Hi, my name is Sid.

          Hi Sid. :)

          > decided to investigate switching to Linux. I've heard good things
          > about the OS, and especially that it's secure. I spend a lot of time
          > online through a cable modem and need to know that I'm safe from
          > viruses, trojans, and hack attacks.

          No guarantees--the difference is that usually, if a vulnerability is
          discovered, it's more quickly fixed than it is with MS.

          > I installed Red Hat 7.3 yesterday, and began to work with it. I have
          > a few questions.
          >
          > During the install I elected to install EVERYTHING on the premise
          > that's it's easier (usually) to get rid of something than to find it
          > later. So I have both Gnome and KDE installed. The system comes up
          > into Gnome. How can I try out the KDE interface? Do I have to go back
          > through the install again?

          No--actually, that question is covered in the list faq at
          http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html Rather than go
          through the explanation, I'll just suggest you look at that--one quick
          thing though--the file you will want to change is a hidden file, that
          is, one that begins with a period, such as .Xdefaults--so be sure to
          view hidden files--not sure how to do that with Gnome's graphical file
          browser, but if you run into a problem, no doubt someone else will help.

          I'm answering the questions that I can and snipping the ones that I
          can't.

          > so I went to the Lexmark site and downloaded a Linux driver. The
          > filename ends with .TAR.GZ, and they say I should unzip it using
          > GZip, "which was installed with your Linux distribution." I've looked
          > everywhere I can think of (at this point in my newby-ness), and can't
          > find any sort of program that unzips. Help?

          Ok, this is an easy one too--actually, once again, if you don't mind,
          I'm going to send you to the faq--there's a question there about files
          with gz and other extensions. The quick answer is you just type
          tar -zxvf <filename> but check out the faq as it might clarify what you
          do afterwards.

          > I have many more questions, but will stop here. Answers to these will
          > enable me to work easier with Linux, and maybe then, I can find my
          > own answers to other questions.

          We all know that feeling. :) I'm sorry I can't be of more help with
          the size of things. There is one quick suggestion I can give though as
          far as general screen size--you can hit Ctrl + Alt and the plus sign on
          the numeric keypad, and if, during installation, it decided that your
          screen can handle other resolutions, there will be a moment of blackness
          and then the screen will appear in a lower resolution, which will
          increase the size of things.

          HTH

          Scott

        • Brian L. Johnson
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2002
            On Aug 2, the Godwin Stewart blatted out:

            >> Can the size of the mouse cursor be increased? How?
            >I don't think so.

            Sure it can...

            On my 21" monitor, the mouse cursor was kinda small, so found a
            program to double the size of the cursor font (X treats the mouse
            pointers like a font)..

            Unfortunately, I can't remember where that program was or even what
            it's name is... So I'll put the file up for download.

            http://www.blj8.com/bigcursor.tar.gz (5k)

            To unpack the tarball (*.tar.gz file), you can put it in your home
            dir, and in a terminal window type "tar -zxvf bigcursor.tar.gz".
            Then type "su", enter your root password, and follow the directions
            in the "README" file spit out by the tarball.

            HTH,
            -=Brian L. Johnson, www.blj8.com=-
            9242 links at blj8.com!
            ---------------------------------
            For PGP key email to: pgpkey@...
            For Geekcode email to: geekcode@...
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2002
              On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:46:45 -0600 (MDT), "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@...>
              wrote to linux@yahoogroups.com:

              > Unfortunately, I can't remember where that program was or even what
              > it's name is... So I'll put the file up for download.
              >
              > http://www.blj8.com/bigcursor.tar.gz (5k)

              Hmm, that's a useful "pointer" :)

              --
              Some days you are the bug; some days you are the
              windshield.
              | Linux User Group de Touraine |
              | http://www.lug-touraine.org |
            • Mike Peters
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2002
                "sidneywebb" <swebb3@...> wrote:

                > Hi, my name is Sid.

                Welcome!

                > I've been a Windows user since version 286, many years ago (pre-dates
                > Windows 3.0 by about 2 years). I have XP on my home system, and
                > decided to investigate switching to Linux. I've heard good things
                > about the OS, and especially that it's secure. I spend a lot of time
                > online through a cable modem and need to know that I'm safe from
                > viruses, trojans, and hack attacks.
                >
                > I installed Red Hat 7.3 yesterday, and began to work with it. I have
                As others have said it's as secure as you make it.

                > a few questions.
                >
                > During the install I elected to install EVERYTHING on the premise
                > that's it's easier (usually) to get rid of something than to find it
                > later. So I have both Gnome and KDE installed. The system comes up
                > into Gnome. How can I try out the KDE interface? Do I have to go back
                > through the install again?

                No, are you logging on with a graphical log in manager, if so you should be able to select your desktop from a list. If not, in gnome, select Run Program from the 'Start' menu, the little footprint on the panel, type switchdesk and select KDE from there.

                > I am used to having the Control Panel application in Windows to view,
                > change and play with system settings. I am diabetic with severe
                > neuropathy in my hands, so using a mouse is difficult for me. I need
                > to adjust the double-click interval and the speed of the mouse. I
                > found a place to change the speed, but cannot locate anything to
                > change the double-click interval.

                I'm not sure what version of gnome is included with RH7.3 but if it's gnome2 Desktop Preferences -> Mouse from the 'Start' or 'Foot' menu will give you a dialog box where you can change both the size of your mouse cursor and the double click rate.

                > My eyes aren't so good either (I'm getting old, and suffer from CRS -
                > Can't Remember-S__t). On my 19" monitor the window control buttons in
                > the upper right corner are only about 4mm square, and therefore hard
                > to hit with the mouse. Can I resize them? If so, how?
                >
                > Can the size of the mouse cursor be increased? How?

                See above for the mouse cursor size

                > In the mail application under Mozilla, messages are displayed in a
                > very small font. Can that be changed? If so, where. I can't seem to
                > find a place to change the font and size used as default by the
                > system, as I can in Windows. Is there such a setting?

                Edit->Preferences->Fonts

                > I need to install my Lexmark Z23 printer, and it's not on the list,
                > so I went to the Lexmark site and downloaded a Linux driver. The
                > filename ends with .TAR.GZ, and they say I should unzip it using
                > GZip, "which was installed with your Linux distribution." I've looked
                > everywhere I can think of (at this point in my newby-ness), and can't
                > find any sort of program that unzips. Help?

                Scott's already mentioned the FAQ and briefly how to do it from the command line, but there's also a program in KDE called archiver which works much the same as WinZip and friends. BTW KDE programs run fine under gnome as do gnome's in KDE

                --
                Mike

                o88 oooo
                oo ooo oooo oooo 888 ooooo ooooooooo8
                888 888 888 888 888o888 888oooooo8
                888 888 888 888 8888 88o 888
                o888o888o888o o888o o888o o888o 88oooo888

                Registered Linux User #247123

                People who would not believe a High Priest if he said the sky was blue, and was able to produce signed affidavits to this effect from his white-haired old mother and three Vestal virgins, would trust just about anything whispered darkly behind their hand by a complete stranger.
                (Maskerade)