Re: [linux] Background task.

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2002
      On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:09:40 -0500, "Jerry A. Stevens" <jstevens@...>
      wrote to "linux@yahoogroups.com" <linux@yahoogroups.com>:

      > I want to start a task, run it in the background and then logout of the
      > terminal while it's running. How do I go about this? (BTW I did search
      > google before posting).

      $ info nohup

      --
      What's the definition of a will? (It's a dead giveaway).
      | G. Stewart -- gstewart@... |
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2002
        On Friday 02 August 2002 11:10 am, you wrote:
        > On Aug 2, the Jerry A. Stevens blatted out:
        > >Probably simple but I can't quite get a handle on it.
        > >
        > >I want to start a task, run it in the background and then logout of the
        > >terminal while it's running. How do I go about this? (BTW I did search
        > >google before posting).
        >
        > That would be the "nohup" command to keep it running after logout,
        > and "&" to make it run detached from tty..
        >
        > nohup program &

        Thank you

        Jerry
      • Jay Cornwall
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2002
          On Friday 02 August 2002 17:09 pm, Jerry A. Stevens wrote:

          > I want to start a task, run it in the background and then logout of the
          > terminal while it's running. How do I go about this? (BTW I did search
          > google before posting).

          Start the process with 'nohup', e.g.:
          nohup make &

          This will make the process immune to SIGHUP, enabling you to logout of the
          terminal and leave it running.

          Incidentally, nohup should also redirect stdout/stderr to a file instead of
          the terminal, although I was unable to get this to work (with tcsh/Konsole,
          at least); output was still being sent to the terminal. It is safe to send
          SIGHUP to the terminal to logout cleanly though.

          Cheers,
          Jay

          --
          http://www.evilrealms.net/ - Systems Administrator