Re: [linux] hda Time out lost interrupt

  • Michael Kjorling
    • kunphuzil
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2002
        I am having a similar problem with an extra HD I have. (Actually I
        didn't know I had it, since the computer was used). Anyway when I
        try to partition it, create a fs on it, or anything i get time outs.
        what should I do?
      • venkatramanm
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2002
          I have tried compiling this as a module too. But I get the same problem.

          Venky

        • Soul Reaver
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2002
            Well... I'm not sure will this solve your problem, but i've got some sort like your errorr long time
            ago, tell me if similiar, if i try to accessing 'BIG' file size about > 20Mb, i'm always having
            somekind error like that

            Hope this work for you, because it's still not work for me, yes it's not work for me

            Try enable the Multi Mode in kernel(old kernel not having this option)
            or
            try disable dma in your hda, yes.. by using hdparm, hey! try some other option in hdparm will ya,
            it's nice, cute and dangerous tool also, but perhaps solve some your problem
            alternative that must be the first,
            Go into your motherboard website, and find somekind similiar like your problem, Hey!! the problem
            not always in the hd, but can also in IDE, just try it, search some similiar word like 'IDE Harddisk
            in LInux

            ----------------- Kemudahan Hosting PlasaCom -------------------------------

            Hosting menjadi lebih mudah dan murah dengan keringanan 50% biaya registrasi
            mail hosting dan webhosting selama bulan Juni 2002.
            Klik http://idc.plasa.com untuk pendaftaran

          • Skylinux
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 5, 2002
              I had a similar problem some time ago and investing in a new ATA 100 cable solved the problem. You said that reconnecting your hd cable solved it before so I would try that option.

              --
              Skylinux
            • venkatramanm
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 24, 2002
                Thanks every one for all the inputs.
                After considerable experimentation,
                I figured it was a loose contact of one of my jumpers
                on the mother board.

                It used to work when I had my machine lie flat instead of keeping
                it erect as a tower.

                Now I have made a fix so that these jumpers are not loose.

                Things I tried:
                1. Tried compiling the Zip support as a module (No effect)
                2. Tried changing the dma cables ( no effect ) .
                3. Tried to disable plug and play assuming it was irq clash ( no effect)
                4. Fixed the loose jumper ( boom solved )
                Venky