Re: A complete beginner to Linux

  • d
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 23, 1998
      > From: "Ray Dermody" <CSM30013@...>
      >
      > Anybody kind enough to answer a few questions to a complete Linux
      > beginner.
      > 1) Whats the difference between Linux and Unix?.

      UNIX was developed by Bell Lads in I think the 60's. Linux is project
      started by Linus Torvalds 1991, which has evolved through other people's
      patches etc etc. Unix is not used as it is these days, however UNIX is
      what we call commercial Unix-like operating systems these days. Linux is
      GPL'd (http://www.fsf.org/)

      > 2) Since thats its freeware who programmed the damn thing?.

      See above.

      > 3) Why is Linux better than any other Os'es?.

      Well, the linux kernel is considered quite platformrespected and stable.
      It runs on dozens of platforms, and I know people who've run their linux
      boxen 5 years w/o a reboot.

      > 4) Is there a GUI version of Linux?

      no. Linux is a kernel, not an Operating system. People usually refer to
      Linux as an operating system to simplify things. There are GUIs that
      *run* on the linux kernel, though. :> I like KDE's windowmanager, KWM,
      that can be found at http://www.kde.org/