Re: filtering junk email

  • edmcman@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 6 , May 13 12:32 PM
      I havn't got my server up and running yet...but sendmail probably lets
      you block certain emails/servers. You can also block an ip from
      everything...some file somewhere ... I don't remember...

      ---RHS Linux User wrote:

      > From: RHS Linux User <hector@...>
      >
      > I would like to know how to filter the email sent from specific
      addresses,
      > like say a junk mailer. How can it be done for the users of a
      server? Can
      > it be done for just single user? And from Pine(for users to do it
      > themselves)?

      > Help ONElist keep this service free, while generating interest in your
      > product or service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages.
      > Visit http://www.onelist.com/advert.html for more information.

      ==
      From, EdMcMan
      Check out AustNet the IRC Network (irc.austnet.org)
      http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/9826/irc.html
      CL in TimesSquare for GeoCities
      :) Happy :( Sad }:< Dog face :< Another Dog face }:( Mad
      :P Sticking tounge out =) Smiling while your sleeping (: backwards
      Also look at my Linux mailing list, to subscribe point your browser to
      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/linux
      Message 2 of 6 , May 13 7:17 PM
        are you running the email server yourself or are you using something like
        fetchmail to download off a pop3 account?

        [...]
      • hector@xxxxxxx.xxx.xxxx.xxxxxxxx.xxxx
        Message 3 of 6 , May 14 10:19 AM
          I am running the server

        • d@x.xxx
          Message 4 of 6 , May 14 11:03 AM
            [...]
            > I am running the server

            assuming you're running a pretty recent sendmail, an excellent site to
            check, which is short enough for the impatient (like me :>) and long enough
            to get a hang out of it, is:

            http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/manual/manual/doc012.html

            there's a section on denying sendmail. Not sure how you would go about
            doing it for a single user, though.

            > On 14 May 1998 d@... wrote:
            >
            > > From: <d@...>

            [...]
            > > > I would like to know how to filter the email sent from specific
            > > addresses,
            > > > like say a junk mailer. How can it be done for the users of a server?
            Can
            > > > it be done for just single user? And from Pine(for users to do it
            > > > themselves)?
            [...]
          • Phlete_Teachout@xxxx.xxxxxx.xxxx.xxxx
            Message 5 of 6 , May 14 11:33 AM
              Do a search on Alta Vista for [+filter +procmail] (without the []).
              There are a number of 'scripts' available. On my version of RedHat
              Linux (5.0), both procmail and filter are in /usr/bin/

              - fleet -

              Subject: [linux] Re: filtering junk email
              Author: <hector@...> at SPTC
              Date: 5/14/98 5:07 PM