Re: StarOffice 5.0

  • Smoot Carl-Mitchell
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 1999
      >From: Tim Moore <timmoore47@...>

      >On Linux it is so sloooow it is desperate in the extreem! I think
      >there is a Windoze simulator underneath it which is the problem. If it
      >was re-written for Xwindows it would be fine, but you need real
      >horsepower for get it up to speed on Linux.

      My experience with a 166 mhz machine is it is slow starting up, but the
      speed is acceptable and comparable to Office 97. The bigger problem is it is
      not quite compatible with Office 97. So if you have to move files between
      the apps, it does not quite work correctly especially on graphics and
      tables. Star Office does produce better HTML than Office 97. It is a
      shame it does not have a bigger market presence, since I suspect if it did,
      Microsoft would pay more attention to compatibility and stop changing file
      formats with every release of Office.

      Smoot Carl-Mitchell
    • Tim Moore
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 1999
        How much Ram do you have? I suspect it has a great bearing on its
        performance. I used the same machine for both, just swopped Hd's. I've
        have them in a crate which I just pull out and replace. I've got 7 Hard
        Discs all with different variants of Linux and just one for Windoze.
        But the PC is 486 100Mhz(? I've no way to test its claim) with 32Mb
        ram.

        ; )

        Tim

        > >On Linux it is so sloooow it is desperate in the extreem! I think
        > >there is a Windoze simulator underneath it which is the problem. If
        > it
        > >was re-written for Xwindows it would be fine, but you need real
        > >horsepower for get it up to speed on Linux.
        >
        > My experience with a 166 mhz machine is it is slow starting up, but
        > the
        > speed is acceptable and comparable to Office 97. The bigger problem
        > is it is
        > not quite compatible with Office 97. So if you have to move files
        > between
        > the apps, it does not quite work correctly especially on graphics and
        > tables. Star Office does produce better HTML than Office 97. It is
        > shame it does not have a bigger market presence, since I suspect if
        > it did,
        > Microsoft would pay more attention to compatibility and stop changing
        > file
        > formats with every release of Office.
        >
        > Smoot Carl-Mitchell

        ===
        Linux up time = 99.99937% Chew on that IBM.
      • Smoot Carl-Mitchell
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 1999
          >From: Tim Moore <timmoore47@...>
          >
          >How much Ram do you have? I suspect it has a great bearing on its
          >performance. I used the same machine for both, just swopped Hd's. I've
          >have them in a crate which I just pull out and replace. I've got 7 Hard
          >Discs all with different variants of Linux and just one for Windoze.
          >But the PC is 486 100Mhz(? I've no way to test its claim) with 32Mb
          >ram.

          I have 64 meg. If you ever have to start paging, I suspect StarOffice like
          any big app slows down by at least a factor of 10. It consumes about 24
          meg, so a 32 meg machine is probably too small.

          Smoot
        • Michael D. Phillips
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 1999
            I have 256mb of ram and one user(me) on the system

            Michael D
            /"|\ /|"\ WebPage: http://www.dreamscape.com/phillipm
            ( | \/ |_/ E-mail: phillipm@...
            \_| | ICQ: 19255038