ICQ

  • Leonardo Milano
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 20, 1996
      Hi,

      Anybody knows if an ICQ version for Linux is
      available?

      Thanks a lot,
      lEo
    • John O'Donnell,x3033
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 20, 1998
        > From: Leonardo Milano <leo@...>
        >
        > Hi,
        >
        > Anybody knows if an ICQ version for Linux is
        > available?
        >
        > Thanks a lot,
        > lEo

        I could be wrong, but I thought for multi-platform support
        there was a Java ICQ version available right from their site....
        Hope this helps
        Johnny O

        | _,,,---,,_ +-----------------------------+
        ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ | Isn't there always a cat |
        |,4- ) )-,_. , ( `'-' | on whatever you're reading? |
        '---''(_/--' `-'_) +-----------------------------+
        | University, n.: Like a software house, except the software's free, |
        | and it's usable, and it works, and if it breaks they'll quickly |
        | tell you how to fix it, and ... |
        +==============================+==========================================+
        | John O'Donnell (Sr. Systems Engineer, Webmaster, Network Admin, etc...) |
        | Voice FX Corporation | |
        | 1100 E. Hector Street | www.voicefx.com |
        | Suite 416 | www.getgrades.com |
        | Conshohocken, PA 19428 | www.gettranscript.com |
        | Phone: (610)941-1000 | www.getfinaid.com |
        | Fax: (610)941-9844 | www.campusdirect.com |
        | E-Mail: johnod@... | |
        +==============================+==========================================+
        ACKRQ
      • Jason Rasku
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 20, 1998
          On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, John O'Donnell,x3033 wrote:

          > From: "John O'Donnell,x3033" <johnod@...>
          >
          > > From: Leonardo Milano <leo@...>
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > Anybody knows if an ICQ version for Linux is
          > > available?
          > >
          > > Thanks a lot,
          > > lEo
          >
          > I could be wrong, but I thought for multi-platform support
          > there was a Java ICQ version available right from their site....
          > Hope this helps

          This is true, there is a Java version, it is not as feature laden
          as the Win95 version. I BELIEVE (and I could be mistaken), that there may
          actually be a native Linux version. Which is really what you want,
          because Java is still not to the state that I would recomend using it for
          anything unless it is the only version avalable for your platform.
          Writing initialy in Java may be advantagious, except porting may be a
          little tricky.

          Jason Rasku

          --
          Jason Rasku, Box 270, Rossland, B.C., V0G 1Y0, (250) 362-5701,
          LinuxBox: (250) 362-9668.

          Web pages of Interest:
          Madness: <http://www.madnation.org/> <http://www.efn.org/~dendron>
          <http://www.peoplewho.org/Madness>
          Fibre: <http://kootweb.com/trillium/trrasku/trrasku.html>
          Spirituality: <mailto:listserv@...?Body=subscribe sprits firstname lastname>

          ICQ 6375239

          I wonder if I ought to tell them about my PREVIOUS LIFE as a COMPLETE
          STRANGER?
        • Kevin Panko
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 20, 1998
            >> > Hi,
            >> >
            >> > Anybody knows if an ICQ version for Linux is
            >> > available?

            >Also, let me direct your attention to the ICQ for Linux page:
            >
            >http://www.portup.com/~gyandl/icq/

            They are 3rd party clones, but they work great. Java sucks anyway.

            -kevin