Re: [linux] 2 ethernet cards

  • Lewis Bergman
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 1 3:54 PM
      > I have two ethernet cards installed in my linux box. This will
      > eventually become a firewall for my network here at work. I have
      > tinkered around with Linux before, so I know the basics, but this one
      > is strange.
      >
      > There is eth0 and eth1 installed in the computer. Both interfaces
      > will ping 127.0.0.1. But, eth1 will not ping anything else ont he
      > network. If I switch the cable to eth0, I can ping anywhere.
      >
      > Any help and web sites that would help would be great. If there is a
      > majordomo list that deals with Linux firewalls exclusively, that
      > would help also.
      A little more description is needed as to your topology. Do you have two
      hubs or switches or just one? Please explain in detail how your network is
      set up so we can help.

      Are the cards of the same type?
      What is in modules.conf if anything?
      Does anything appear in the the message log?
    • Lewis Bergman
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 3 10:38 AM
        > BINDING TO NIS DOMAIN.....FAILED
        It means it couldn't find the NIS server you have configured. My guess is
        that it is on the failing (or unplugged) network.
        --
        Lewis Bergman
        Texas Communications