Re: Re: [linux] what can you do on Linux but not on Windows?

  • Stephen Paul E Florentino
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 31, 2001
      I agree.

      In theory, all the tools in GNU/Linux can have their own conterparts in Windows,
      provided there are developers/vendors who are willing(or crazy enough) to port
      the existing GNU/Linux tools or make their own version, free or not.

      Aside from the cost, what matters to me is "how" Windows and Linux "do" their jobs.
      Sure, Windows can catch up to Linux in terms of services(e.g. applications, servers, etc.
      Linux can use some catch up too e.g. CAD, games, etc.) but how about in terms of
      security, stability and configurability?

      Windows may have the edge in terms of being more "user-friendly" and being "easier to
      deploy". If you are a sysad these things are what matters to you most, then go ahead
      use Windows.

      -$tp

      "dim" <dimmer@...> wrote:

      >BH> I'm curious: is there anything you can do with Linux that you can't do with
      >BH> Windows? I'm talking about actually *doing* things (not "Get it for free",
      >BH> "Run it on a stripped-down system" or "Look at the source code" :) ). I've
      >BH> been on the Internet for about six years and I've heard a lot of Linux
      >BH> advocacy, but I can't think of a single time when I've heard of something
      >BH> that you could only do on Linux.
      >Well, perhaps I'm no linux guru, but your question seems completely
      >worng to me.both linux and windows are OS's.OS's are designed to do
      >lots of different tasks and both linux and windows try to carry out
      >these tasks (I won't go into discussing which one carries these tasks
      >out beter).
      >
      >dim

      __________________________________
      www.edsamail.com
    • Cameron Simpson
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 3, 2002
        On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 03:01:44PM +0800, Hanxue Lee <hanxue@...> wrote:
        | Is junkbuster the best ad filter? Are there any more alternatives?

        There are others. I maintain one here:

        http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/adzap/

        There's an (incomplete) list of others on that page under "other similar software".
        --
        Cameron Simpson, DoD#743 cs@... http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

        I am not a free man, I am a number. - Beirne Konarski <beirnek@...>