About networking

  • Winky Chow
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 19, 1998
      I am using redhat 5.1 and tried to network my win98 comp to my linux comp. Was gonna use linux as a gateway machine. I think I got the network up, but I cant get the linux box to dial into my ISP. It dials up and stays logged on and just stalls.

      Winky

      PS can anyone help or send me to a FAQ site?
    • Spaceboy
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 19, 1998
        hey man,
        i had a similar problem just a few day's ago while setting up a local
        network at my friend's house.
        it stumped us for a while, but it turned out to be pretty simple...
        you might wanna check for com/irq conflicts with the modem and net card.

        Spaceboy

        Winky Chow wrote:

        > I am using redhat 5.1 and tried to network my win98 comp to my linux
        > comp. Was gonna use linux as a gateway machine. I think I got the
        > network up, but I cant get the linux box to dial into my ISP. It
        > dials up and stays logged on and just stalls. Winky PS can anyone help
        > or send me to a FAQ site?
      • Spaceboy
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 19, 1998
          > oh yeah... and if thats not the prob,
          > you might wanna take a look in /etc/resolv.conf and set up a good
          > nameserver...
          > sometimes netconfig overwrites that stuff and causes all kinds of
          > problems
          > good luck.
          > Spaceboy

        • Winky Chow
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 20, 1998
            I checked the IRQs and they dont conflict and I am using my ISP nameserver but the LAN needed one too... so I aint sure what to do.

            <==== Dazed and confused and dumb too.

            Winky