Re: [linux] Opera 6 (final is out)

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2001
      There is a icon, and each time you click onto it the font gets bigger, once
      you have bigger fonts, another icon will become activated so you can go down
      in font size,

      the icon looks like a magnifying glass

      From Eric

        Actually the zoom utility doesn't affect just the font sizes, it zooms
        in or out on everything.

        Hint: turn on Num Lock, click somewhere in the document (not on a form
        field) and enter a few digits on the numeric keypad. Voila!

        I do that every now and then when I am logging in to my bank's web
        site :) Very interesting.

        Michael Kjörling

        On Dec 2 2001 10:29 +1300, Eric wrote:

        > There is a icon, and each time you click onto it the font gets bigger, once
        > you have bigger fonts, another icon will become activated so you can go down
        > in font size,
        >
        > the icon looks like a magnifying glass
        >

        > >From Eric

        - --
        Michael Kjörling -- Programmer/Network administrator ^..^
        PGP: 95f1 074d 336d f8f0 f297 6a5b 2aa3 7bfd 8a70 e33e \/
        Internet: michael@... -- FidoNet: 2:204/254.4

        "There is something to be said about not trying to be glamorous
        and popular and cool. Just be real -- and life will be real."
        (Joyce Sequichie Hifler, September 13 2001, www.hifler.com)
      • Gustavo Zamorano S.
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2001
          You can get to the Netscape preferences menu and change fonts.

          GZS

          James Drabb wrote:

          > My main problem with Netscape 6.2 and Mozilla are those tiny, tiny
          > fonts! Does Opera support the mouse wheel?
          >
          > On Sat, 2001-12-01 at 15:55, Michael Kjorling wrote:
          >
          > Well, I haven't tried 6.0 TP1 or the final 6.0, but 5.0 has some
          > obvious advantages and disadvantages.
          >
          > First, it is small - and thus very fast. It's a lot quicker than
          > Netscape 4.77 on Linux at least. Haven't tried Netscape 6.2, though.
          > It is free on all platforms, as long as you can take ads - otherwise
          > it's $35 (with a 50% discount for students).
          >
          > The bookmark (hotlist) handling is by far superiour to anything else I
          > have seen - it's worth getting Opera alone. The MDI interface can save
          > some frustration but isn't what caused me to switch.
          >
          > What was my primary reason to switch to Opera was Netscapes *awful*
          > handling of especially smaller fonts (sizes 1 and 2, or less than
          > rougly 10 pts).
          >

          > Michael Kjörling

          This Message is sent from My Linux Station at Home

          .-.
          .-. | Gustavo Zamorano S.

          `--.____.--'
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2001
            On 16:18 2001/12/01 -0500, James Drabb wrote
            >My main problem with Netscape 6.2 and Mozilla are those tiny, tiny
            >fonts! Does Opera support the mouse wheel?

            If Netscape or Mozilla is working with the mouse wheel, then so will Opera.

            Opera hasn't, until now, supported East Asian languages. I might give the
            preview release a shot then, and see what happens.

            Anyone know--I installed from tarball rather than rpm---is there an easy
            way to upgrade it?

            Thanks
            Scott
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 1, 2001
              On 09:32 2001/12/02 +1300, Eric wrote
              >when you go to install a program were do you put it

              Usually, they will install themselves. My habit is to download the tarball
              into a directory I create in /usr/local/src then untar it in there.
              Scott
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 1, 2001
                On 18:02 2001/12/01 -0700, Forrest Halford wrote
                >I use opera 5.x for linux and windows and have used all of the others
                >browswers, including mosaic.
                >It is the best that I have found...
                >It is, somehow, faster....they do not lie

                Just downloaded and installed the test version of 6.1 It still has trouble
                with East Asian languages, something that will hopefully be fixed. (Other
                browsers, such as Konqueror, Mozilla, IE, etc) can automatically detect and
                display Japanese characters correctly.

                Scott
              • Forrest Halford
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 1, 2001
                  I use opera 5.x for linux and windows and have used all of the others browswers, including mosaic.
                  It is the best that I have found...
                  It is, somehow, faster....they do not lie

                  Forrest

                  On 01 Dec 2001 15:43:21 -0500, a large badger frolicked about on your keyboard, and out came:

                  >How is Opera? Is it free for Linux? Is it better then Netscape 6.2 or
                  >Mozilla for Linux?
                  >
                  >Thanks,
                  >
                  >Jim Drabb
                  >
                  >On Sat, 2001-12-01 at 15:37, Michael Kjorling wrote:
                  >
                  > I generally install executables under /usr/bin, /usr/sbin,
                  > /usr/local/bin and/or /usr/local/sbin - however some programs prefer
                  > being under their own directory structures (Star Office 6, for
                  > example).
                  >
                  > But Opera 6 isn't out for Linux - Opera 6 Technology Preview 1 is,
                  > though. I for one will most likely wait for the final version as I am
                  > rather dependant on having a working web browser.
                  >
                  > Anyone know if that one can specify the user agent on a per domain
                  > basis, by the way? That is a feature I miss in version 5.
                  >

                  > Michael Kjörling

                • Forrest Halford
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 1, 2001
                    Yes on mouse wheel and much more user customizable ....

                    Forrest

                    On 01 Dec 2001 16:18:04 -0500, a large badger frolicked about on your keyboard, and out came:

                    >My main problem with Netscape 6.2 and Mozilla are those tiny, tiny
                    >fonts! Does Opera support the mouse wheel?
                    >

                    >On Sat, 2001-12-01 at 15:55, Michael Kjorling wrote:
                    >
                    > Well, I haven't tried 6.0 TP1 or the final 6.0, but 5.0 has some
                    > obvious advantages and disadvantages.
                    >
                    > First, it is small - and thus very fast. It's a lot quicker than
                    > Netscape 4.77 on Linux at least. Haven't tried Netscape 6.2, though.
                    > It is free on all platforms, as long as you can take ads - otherwise
                    > it's $35 (with a 50% discount for students).
                    >
                    > The bookmark (hotlist) handling is by far superiour to anything else I
                    > have seen - it's worth getting Opera alone. The MDI interface can save
                    > some frustration but isn't what caused me to switch.
                    >
                    > What was my primary reason to switch to Opera was Netscapes *awful*
                    > handling of especially smaller fonts (sizes 1 and 2, or less than
                    > rougly 10 pts).
                    >

                    > Michael Kjörling

                  • Forrest Halford
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 1, 2001
                      Uh...what happens?....does nothing for me?

                      Forrest

                      On Sat, 1 Dec 2001 22:38:37 +0100 (CET), a large badger frolicked about on your keyboard, and out
                      came:

                      >Actually the zoom utility doesn't affect just the font sizes, it zooms
                      >in or out on everything.
                      >
                      >Hint: turn on Num Lock, click somewhere in the document (not on a form
                      >field) and enter a few digits on the numeric keypad. Voila!
                      >
                      >I do that every now and then when I am logging in to my bank's web
                      >site :) Very interesting.
                      >

                      >Michael Kjörling
                      >

                      >On Dec 2 2001 10:29 +1300, Eric wrote:
                      >
                      >> There is a icon, and each time you click onto it the font gets bigger, once
                      >> you have bigger fonts, another icon will become activated so you can go down
                      >> in font size,
                      >>
                      >> the icon looks like a magnifying glass
                      >>

                      >> >From Eric
                    • Eric Richards
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 1, 2001
                        Hi Michael
                        I just tried that in Konqueror, Ret Hat 7.1 but it did not work (typical)

                        Ge !! Mozilla mail is slow,

                        From Eric (my first linux reply)

                      • James Drabb
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 2, 2001
                          I know that I can change the fonts. But, let me first say that I _love_
                          Linux! The only two things that bother me about linux are:

                          1. The fonts. They can be pretty jagged and unreadable.
                          2. The slow time for a hardware to be supported.

                          Number one can and should be fixed buy the developers of X11. I have
                          tried the anti-aliased fonts and they do help. However it appears to me
                          that the fonts are just drawn twice and shifted a pixel or two on the
                          second painting of the font. I still don't think the fonts are as
                          readable as they are on windoze.

                          Number two I don't blame on Linux. I blame it on the hardware
                          manufacturers and not making drivers for linux. So it forces the linux
                          community to go about writing drivers the hard and slow way. I know
                          linux hardware support is getting very strong now. But it is still
                          behind. For example, I just bought a nice Lexmark X83 3 in 1 office
                          printer, scanner copier and I can't get it to work under linux. I am
                          going to try and write a program to send it some commands and see if I
                          can even talk to it. I would love to be able to just print plain text
                          on it.

                          I am hoping for Linux to sweep the desktop area and bring microsoft down
                          to a more "humlbe" level. The future of computing is going to be
                          information sharing not proprietary high priced software.

                          Jim Drabb

                          James Drabb wrote:

                          > My main problem with Netscape 6.2 and Mozilla are those tiny, tiny
                          > fonts! Does Opera support the mouse wheel?
                          >
                          > On Sat, 2001-12-01 at 15:55, Michael Kjorling wrote:
                          >
                          > Well, I haven't tried 6.0 TP1 or the final 6.0, but 5.0 has some
                          > obvious advantages and disadvantages.
                          >
                          > First, it is small - and thus very fast. It's a lot quicker than
                          > Netscape 4.77 on Linux at least. Haven't tried Netscape 6.2, though.
                          > It is free on all platforms, as long as you can take ads - otherwise
                          > it's $35 (with a 50% discount for students).
                          >
                          > The bookmark (hotlist) handling is by far superiour to anything else I
                          > have seen - it's worth getting Opera alone. The MDI interface can save
                          > some frustration but isn't what caused me to switch.
                          >
                          > What was my primary reason to switch to Opera was Netscapes *awful*
                          > handling of especially smaller fonts (sizes 1 and 2, or less than
                          > rougly 10 pts).
                          >

                          > Michael Kjörling

                        • Gustavo Zamorano S.
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 3, 2001
                            Since 1973, Unix, thanks to Language C, became the first operating
                            system to be hardware independent. It is the only one operating system
                            that runs in almost any computers we know today.
                            And now, there are Linux versions for a great variety of computers
                            including IBM compatible PC architecture.
                            The big problem I see here is that IBM compatibles are made with MS
                            Windows in mind... and that architecture is from 1981.
                            I hope very soon, we will have something better than that and based on
                            the latest technology.
                            To have that 1981 architecture running today, you have to deal with
                            just 15 IRQs, up to 1024 cylinder hard disks and other limitations as
                            well.
                            They had to make magic things to solve problems of having just 15 IRQs,
                            more than 1 MB of RAM, more than 1024 cylinder hard disks, etc.

                            Ok... Having Linux drivers for a computer made for Windows only takes
                            time. But after all, Linux is not limited to just that architecture.
                            Are we going to see some day a MS Windows version for Sun Sparc or HP
                            PA-RISC for example?...
                            Linux drivers for Winmodems are very hard to get. The problem is that
                            Winmodes are made for MS Windows only and no code is released by their
                            factories so someone can develop Linux drivers.

                            GZS