Re: [linux] Slackware 8.0

  • Jason Flatt
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2001
      On Thursday 29 November 2001 04:33 am, Michael Kjorling wrote:
      > On Nov 29 2001 17:20 +0800, Stephen Paul E Florentino wrote:
      >
      > > >(2) Is it safe to just reformat /, /usr and /tmp, and leave the rest?
      > > >(/var, /home, etc.)?
      > >
      > > I have no idea. May I ask why it crossed your mind?
      >
      > Because I have a lot of files (especially in /home) I would like to
      > keep.
      >
      > Of course, I could copy it to CD-RWs and keep them that way; however,
      > it would be neat if I could just tell it not to reformat those
      > partitions.
      >

      > Michael Kjörling

      I have done it many times as Skylinux and Gustavo have mentioned, but it
      always make me nervous flying w/o a net. Even though I know what I'm doing
      when it comes to formating, creating and modifying file systems (even if I
      can't get a silly sound card to work :^) ), I still like to have a
      backup. It's way too easy to make a mistake in that area and lose
      everything. I did it once when I was in the middle of a programming
      project, and I lost a month's work because I didn't take enough precautions.

      Also, I noticed no one mentioned this, the installer for Slackware is far
      different than Red Hat's installer. If you are unfamiliar with it, it would
      be wise to carefully read each box as it comes up so that you are sure you
      are making the correct decision. It's not that it's more complicated or
      difficult -- it's just different.

      --
      Jason Flatt
      E-mail (remove the spaces): jasonflatt @ wizard . com
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2001
        On Thursday 29 November 2001 12:16 am, Michael Kjorling wrote:
        > A few questions -
        >
        > [ S N I P ]
        >
        > (2) Is it safe to just reformat /, /usr and /tmp, and leave the rest?
        > (/var, /home, etc.)?
        >
        > [ S N I P ]
        >
        > Michael Kjörling

        Something similar to this has been on my mind lately. In my quest to
        familiarize myself with the major distros available, I find that I am more
        likely to get to know a distro if I can do my normal day-to-day stuff in
        it. So, the question is this: how much of Linux could be shared in order to
        keep access to data files and e-mail, w/o totally blowing the idea of
        learning the ins and outs of the different distros?

        I already have my /home directory in it's own partition, and I have a
        separate partition setup for installing apps that I am likely to use
        across distros (like Star/OpenOffice).

        --
        Jason Flatt
        E-mail (remove the spaces): jasonflatt @ wizard . com
        Voice: +1 702 870 6622
        Fax: +1 702 870 3883
        Snail Mail: PO Box 44265, Las Vegas, NV 89116-2265, USA
      • Michael Kjorling