Re: [linux] Pre-assembled Linux Box/Machine

  • cmasters
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2001
      On 01-12-01, steve@... wrote:

      > > Bang! Throughput up to well above 30 kbit/s, with no settings changed
      > > other than picking the correct modem for the RAS entry.

      Hmmm ... wekk that would mean in arithmetic terms:

      30 000 ~bits~ / sec
      = approx 3 400 ~bytes~ / sec
      = 3.4 Kbytes / sec

      > 30!!!
      >
      > That is literally imbosible as I understand modems.
      > with a 36k modem the highest throughput is 3.6k/s

      Which is how one normally refers to the above - 30 K~bytes~ / sec.

      > and with a 56 the hisgest
      > i have had 4.9k/s
      > ive only seen isdn lines with throughput like that!
      >

      > steve
      >
      > PS I mite be wrong, can some one confirm this?

      Looks to me like you're both correct, just confusing bits with bytes.

      C. Masters
    • Michael Kjorling

        Well, I tried to be clear enough about bits and bytes. And yes I know
        the difference very well.

        How nice it'd be if my Internet connection was 512 kbytes/second
        instead of 512 kbits/second. :-) (Though I believe the most the router
        will handle is 2 Mbit/s, or 256 kbytes/second.)

        Michael Kjörling

        On Dec 1 2001 04:09 -0400, cmasters wrote:

        > On 01-12-01, steve@... wrote:
        > >

        > > > Bang! Throughput up to well above 30 kbit/s, with no settings changed
        > > > other than picking the correct modem for the RAS entry.
        > >
        > Hmmm ... wekk that would mean in arithmetic terms:
        >
        > 30 000 ~bits~ / sec
        > = approx 3 400 ~bytes~ / sec
        > = 3.4 Kbytes / sec
        >

        > > 30!!!
        > >
        > > That is literally imbosible as I understand modems.
        > > with a 36k modem the highest throughput is 3.6k/s
        >
        > Which is how one normally refers to the above - 30 K~bytes~ / sec.
        >
        > > and with a 56 the hisgest
        > > i have had 4.9k/s
        > > ive only seen isdn lines with throughput like that!
        > >

        > > steve
        > >
        > > PS I mite be wrong, can some one confirm this?
        > >
        > Looks to me like you're both correct, just confusing bits with bytes.
        >
        > C. Masters

        - --
        Michael Kjörling -- Programmer/Network administrator ^..^
        PGP: 95f1 074d 336d f8f0 f297 6a5b 2aa3 7bfd 8a70 e33e \/
        Internet: michael@... -- FidoNet: 2:204/254.4

        "There is something to be said about not trying to be glamorous
        and popular and cool. Just be real -- and life will be real."
        (Joyce Sequichie Hifler, September 13 2001, www.hifler.com)
      • steve@blacktrionix.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 1, 2001

          > Bang! Throughput up to well above 30 kbit/s, with no settings changed
          > other than picking the correct modem for the RAS entry.

          30!!!

          That is literally imbosible as I understand modems.
          with a 36k modem the highest throughput is 3.6k/s and with a 56 the hisgest
          i have had 4.9k/s
          ive only seen isdn lines with throughput like that!

          steve

          PS I mite be wrong, can some one confirm this?
        • percy
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 1, 2001
            Hi Paul!

            How about setting up your own Linux box based on your preference? That way,
            you could install only the necessary components you need - other people
            (read:VENDORS) dont care on what the users really need!

            And if you could, please junk the windows (kidding)!

            Cheers!

            Percy :)
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 1, 2001
              he said Kbit not Kbyte... ait takes 8 bits to make a byte dude...
              30Kbits is only 3.75 Kbytes
              > Bang! Throughput up to well above 30 kbit/s, with no settings changed
              > other than picking the correct modem for the RAS entry.

              30!!!

              That is literally imbosible as I understand modems.
              with a 36k modem the highest throughput is 3.6k/s and with a 56 the
              hisgest
              i have had 4.9k/s
              ive only seen isdn lines with throughput like that!

              steve

              PS I mite be wrong, can some one confirm this?

              (|~Jim~|)
              To skate is to live,
              To live is to die. Skate to live,
              Skate or die.

            • John O'Donnell
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 1, 2001
                jrobert_2@... wrote:

                > he said Kbit not Kbyte... ait takes 8 bits to make a byte dude...
                > 30Kbits is only 3.75 Kbytes
                >
                >>Bang! Throughput up to well above 30 kbit/s, with no settings changed
                >>other than picking the correct modem for the RAS entry.
                >>

                > 30!!!
                >
                > That is literally imbosible as I understand modems.
                > with a 36k modem the highest throughput is 3.6k/s and with a 56 the
                > hisgest
                > i have had 4.9k/s
                > ive only seen isdn lines with throughput like that!
                >

                > steve
                >
                > PS I mite be wrong, can some one confirm this?
                >
                > (|~Jim~|)

                Probably K != Kbit
                Johnny O

                --
                Darth Vader sleeps with a Teddywookie.
                === Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===