Upgrading kde

  • Meph Istopheles
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 30, 2001
      Hey,

      Anyone know where I can find the rpm for kdesupport 2.2.1?
      I've looked in many places, & it's just not there.

      Meph

      --
      "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
      -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 30, 2001
        Meph Istopheles wrote:

        > Hey,
        >
        > Anyone know where I can find the rpm for kdesupport 2.2.1?
        > I've looked in many places, & it's just not there.
        >
        > Meph

        There is no more kdesupport package.
        KDE team deemed it unnecessary to include libraries that were "most likely"
        to be already installed on those machines. Not the case with all distros,
        but nevertheless - no kdesupport anymore.
        Johnny O

        --
        Darth Vader sleeps with a Teddywookie.
        === Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 30, 2001
          Johhy!

          > There is no more kdesupport package.
          > KDE team deemed it unnecessary to include libraries that were
          > "most likely" to be already installed on those machines. Not
          > the case with all distros, but nevertheless - no kdesupport
          > anymore.

          Hmm. Reminds me of M$.

          You read the RH install instructions -- which specifically say
          to first install the kdesupport, then libs, & base; then install
          any others. So, I downlaod them all, find no support & try the
          libs & get the error that libs need the support package.

          Anyone know a way to install the current kde, which shouldn't
          need the support but claims to?

          Meph

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 30, 2001
            I'm installing Ximian Gnome & the Ximian Red Carpet. Think
            that'll manage to update kde properly?

            Meph

            --
            "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
            -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux
          • Dave Markowitz
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 30, 2001
              On Tuesday 30 October 2001 08:44 pm, you spake thusly:
              > I'm installing Ximian Gnome & the Ximian Red Carpet. Think
              > that'll manage to update kde properly?

              Unlikely. KDE and GNOME are two different animals. GNOME is based on the
              GTK+ widget set, while KDE is based on Qt.

              --
              Dave Markowitz Y! Messenger dave_markowitz
              dave@... AIM frodo527

            • Meph Istopheles
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 30, 2001
                > Unlikely. KDE and GNOME are two different animals. GNOME is
                > based on the GTK+ widget set, while KDE is based on Qt.

                Hmph. Well, we'll see. Thanks.

                Meph

                --
                "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
                -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux
              • Jason Flatt
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 30, 2001
                  On Tuesday 30 October 2001 05:44 pm, Meph Istopheles wrote:
                  > I'm installing Ximian Gnome & the Ximian Red Carpet. Think
                  > that'll manage to update kde properly?
                  >
                  > Meph

                  If you happened to have missed an earlier post of mine, I spent some time
                  attempting to get Ximian and KDE to play nice together. Ximian will not
                  only NOT get KDE up and running, it *will keep* it from running (and
                  vice-versa). I finally gave up and stuck with KDE.

                  I just went and checked out the downloads for KDE, and they have changed it
                  since I downloaded it (way back in September :^) ). If you have all of
                  the KDE RPMs (I'm assuming) in one dir, run the

                  rpm -Uvh *

                  command. If the only thing it complains about is kdesuppot, run it this way:

                  rpm -Uvh --nodeps *

                  That is the way I got it working, and I haven't had any troubles. I have
                  been running 2.2.1 almost since it was released. If it has other issues
                  (which mine had), you will need to get the missing RPMs. When I dled the
                  files, there was a separate dir for all of those extra RPMs that I would
                  need. I didn't notice it just now.

                  --
                  E-mail (remove the spaces): jasonflatt @ wizard . com
                  Voice: +1 702 870 6622
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 31, 2001
                    Hey Jason,

                    Been a while since I've heard from you;-).

                    > If you happened to have missed an earlier post of mine, I spent
                    > some time attempting to get Ximian and KDE to play nice
                    > together.

                    Oh, with all the hassles since I'd first attempted RH 7.2 &
                    subsequently installed 7.1, I've had to skim countless headers
                    for any which look pressing; the rest are gone. One of the
                    problems in 7.2 was that suddenly any downloaded mail was
                    disappearing (for about three hours) & anything I'd sent was
                    returned host unknown with host meph@meph. The mail & other
                    problems pissed me off no end, & I just had to install something
                    which ~might~ be a little more stable.

                    > Ximian will not only NOT get KDE up and running, it *will keep*
                    > it from running (and vice-versa). I finally gave up and stuck
                    > with KDE.

                    While that bites, I'm running Gnome just now. I prefer E, but
                    maybe I'm just lazy & Gnome's got better since RH 6.0. My desire
                    to update kde is only for the apps & stuff. I don't intend to
                    run it.

                    > I just went and checked out the downloads for KDE, and they
                    > have changed it since I downloaded it (way back in September
                    > :^) ). If you have all of the KDE RPMs (I'm assuming) in one
                    > dir, run the

                    > rpm -Uvh *

                    Ah. How nice. Wish kde would have updated their RH install
                    instructions, but the last time I'd upgraded kde (again, back in
                    RH 6.0), I couldn't find even the slightest hint, anywhere, on
                    what order to install the rpm's & didn't know anything about rpm
                    beyond rpm -i or -if;-).

                    > command. If the only thing it complains about is kdesuppot, run
                    > it this way:

                    > rpm -Uvh --nodeps *

                    OK. Once I've run Red Carpet & got more of the system lib
                    rpm's & stuff, I may need that option.

                    > If it has other issues (which mine had), you will need to get
                    > the missing RPMs.

                    Are you referring to deps or kde rpm's? Since I connect via
                    adsl, I'd only skipped the ppp package of the kde's, & I'll be
                    updating all my libs & things today.

                    > When I dled the files, there was a separate dir for all of
                    > those extra RPMs that I would need. I didn't notice it just
                    > now.

                    Which? The other apps, like koffice?

                    Meph

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 1, 2001
                      On Wednesday 31 October 2001 08:19 am, Meph Istopheles wrote:
                      > > Ximian will not only NOT get KDE up and running, it *will keep*
                      > > it from running (and vice-versa). I finally gave up and stuck
                      > > with KDE.
                      >
                      > While that bites, I'm running Gnome just now. I prefer E, but
                      > maybe I'm just lazy & Gnome's got better since RH 6.0. My desire
                      > to update kde is only for the apps & stuff. I don't intend to
                      > run it.

                      Then you probably only need to update QT unless you're trying to run
                      KOffice, but I could be wrong.

                      > > I just went and checked out the downloads for KDE, and they
                      > > have changed it since I downloaded it (way back in September
                      > > :^) ). If you have all of the KDE RPMs (I'm assuming) in one
                      > > dir, run the
                      > >
                      > > rpm -Uvh *
                      >
                      > Ah. How nice. Wish kde would have updated their RH install
                      > instructions, but the last time I'd upgraded kde (again, back in
                      > RH 6.0), I couldn't find even the slightest hint, anywhere, on
                      > what order to install the rpm's & didn't know anything about rpm
                      > beyond rpm -i or -if;-).

                      Well, I spent some time, lots of trial and error and used hints from this
                      and other lists to figure it out.

                      > > command. If the only thing it complains about is kdesuppot, run
                      > > it this way:
                      > >
                      > > rpm -Uvh --nodeps *
                      >
                      > OK. Once I've run Red Carpet & got more of the system lib
                      > rpm's & stuff, I may need that option.
                      >
                      > > If it has other issues (which mine had), you will need to get
                      > > the missing RPMs.
                      >
                      > Are you referring to deps or kde rpm's? Since I connect via
                      > adsl, I'd only skipped the ppp package of the kde's, & I'll be
                      > updating all my libs & things today.
                      >
                      > > When I dled the files, there was a separate dir for all of
                      > > those extra RPMs that I would need. I didn't notice it just
                      > > now.
                      >
                      > Which? The other apps, like koffice?
                      >
                      > Meph

                      I am referring to the RPM updates like for OpenSSH, QT, RPM, SDL, etc., etc.

                      I think that some of the files are in the RedHat-unofficial/7.1 dir on the
                      FTP site, although there are others there and some of the ones I installed
                      are no longer there.

                      I must be a glutton for punishment, but after reading about your troubles
                      and some other people having similar problems, I decided to try to get the
                      two working again. There just has to be a way to get the most current
                      versions of the two window managers working on the same system.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 1, 2001
                        Hey Jason,

                        > > While that bites, I'm running Gnome just now. I prefer E, but
                        > > maybe I'm just lazy & Gnome's got better since RH 6.0. My desire
                        > > to update kde is only for the apps & stuff. I don't intend to
                        > > run it.

                        > Then you probably only need to update QT unless you're trying
                        > to run KOffice, but I could be wrong.

                        Yeah, koffice. Gotta see if it'll appease my girl friend's
                        needs. SO is slow on my system, & I've 256MB RAM & swap.

                        > > > I just went and checked out the downloads for KDE, and they
                        > > > have changed it since I downloaded it (way back in September
                        > > > :^) ). If you have all of the KDE RPMs (I'm assuming) in one
                        > > > dir, run the

                        > > > rpm -Uvh *

                        Heh. Is is RH, rpm, or is it kde...?:

                        error: cannot open file nodeps: No such file or directory
                        error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
                        error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not
                        permitted (1)
                        error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
                        error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages

                        I'd run it both with & without --nodeps

                        > > OK. Once I've run Red Carpet & got more of the system lib
                        > > rpm's & stuff, I may need that option.

                        Red Carpet only had a few of the kde apps. I think only the
                        main libs package of the full list of base stuff. There were
                        also some of the office things.

                        > > > If it has other issues (which mine had), you will need to get
                        > > > the missing RPMs.

                        > > Are you referring to deps or kde rpm's? Since I connect via
                        > > adsl, I'd only skipped the ppp package of the kde's, & I'll be
                        > > updating all my libs & things today.

                        > > > When I dled the files, there was a separate dir for all of
                        > > > those extra RPMs that I would need. I didn't notice it just
                        > > > now.

                        > > Which? The other apps, like koffice?

                        > I am referring to the RPM updates like for OpenSSH, QT, RPM,
                        > SDL, etc., etc.

                        Hmm. I'd gone & downloaded tons of files listed as 7.1 updates
                        via Red Hat. I suppose there's a log somewhere....

                        > I must be a glutton for punishment, but after reading about
                        > your troubles and some other people having similar problems, I
                        > decided to try to get the two working again. There just has to
                        > be a way to get the most current versions of the two window
                        > managers working on the same system.

                        Well, I'm sure they do, as RH 7.2, I think, has both of the
                        current, don't they? Anyway, I'll be working on it from a
                        different angle. One of us should succeed -- eventually;-).

                        Meph

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 1, 2001
                          On Thursday 01 November 2001 08:14 am, Meph Istopheles wrote:

                          > Heh. Is is RH, rpm, or is it kde...?:
                          >
                          > error: cannot open file nodeps: No such file or directory
                          > error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
                          > error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not
                          > permitted (1)
                          > error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
                          > error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
                          >
                          > I'd run it both with & without --nodeps

                          That sounds like you need to su to root.

                          > > I must be a glutton for punishment, but after reading about
                          > > your troubles and some other people having similar problems, I
                          > > decided to try to get the two working again. There just has to
                          > > be a way to get the most current versions of the two window
                          > > managers working on the same system.
                          >
                          > Well, I'm sure they do, as RH 7.2, I think, has both of the
                          > current, don't they? Anyway, I'll be working on it from a
                          > different angle. One of us should succeed -- eventually;-).

                          Hopefully. I'll check the "What's Included" section on Red Hat's site to
                          see exactly which versions of the various packages are included in 7.2.
                          Frequently they are several versions behind. I guess it's the safest way.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 1, 2001
                            Jason,

                            > > Heh. Is is RH, rpm, or is it kde...?:

                            > > error: cannot open file nodeps: No such file or directory
                            > > error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
                            > > error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not
                            > > permitted (1)
                            > > error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
                            > > error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages

                            > > I'd run it both with & without --nodeps

                            > That sounds like you need to su to root.

                            Dopey me. I had the Red Carpet thing open, downloading
                            software. Once closed, it works -- but I'm short some lib files,
                            a few other things, &, of course -- kdesupport! Amazing. Why am
                            I reminded of M$...?

                            > > Well, I'm sure they do, as RH 7.2, I think, has both of the
                            > > current, don't they? Anyway, I'll be working on it from a
                            > > different angle. One of us should succeed -- eventually;-).

                            > Hopefully. I'll check the "What's Included" section on Red
                            > Hat's site to see exactly which versions of the various
                            > packages are included in 7.2. Frequently they are several
                            > versions behind. I guess it's the safest way.

                            They're probably behind, but I do know that I'd started kde to
                            verify it worked & set it up -- when I was dealing with 7.2.
                            Eventually, I'll be much happier with 7.1.

                            Meph