SCSI termination

  • Joe Morris
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
      Hi everyone! I've been reading more about SCSI, but there is still one thing
      I don't understand. What is SCSI termination? What is it's purpose? How do
      I do it? Thanks!
      Joe
    • Stephen Paul E Florentino
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
        AFAIK, SCSI terminators are devices you attach to the end of a SCSI device
        or a daisy chain. I have no idea why some SCSI devices need terminators
        while some are self-terminating. Must be something about the way SCSI
        works.

        Pretty vague huh?

        -$tp

        "Joe Morris" <heartboy@...> wrote:

        >Hi everyone! I've been reading more about SCSI, but there is still one thing
        >I don't understand. What is SCSI termination? What is it's purpose? How do
        >I do it? Thanks!
        >Joe

        __________________________________
        www.edsamail.com
      • Brandon Penglase
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
          A SCSI connection is like a chain, and it uses the terminator to tell where
          the end of it it, or else it won't see the other devices, because its still
          looking off the end of the chain. If that helps any, lol

          --
          Love and Guiding Light,
          Brandon Penglase

          On Monday 01 October 2001 03:18 pm, you wrote:
          > Hi everyone! I've been reading more about SCSI, but there is still one
          > thing I don't understand. What is SCSI termination? What is it's purpose?
          > How do I do it? Thanks!
          > Joe

          > http://www.yahoogroups.com

        • Don Hawkinson
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
            >What is SCSI termination? What is it's purpose?

            A simple answer is that the SCSI bus must be properly
            terminated to eliminate signal reflections. For detailed
            information see the SCSI FAQ.

            Where to get the latest copy of this FAQ:

            SCSIFAQ.ORG - Now at a browser near you!

            * Pointers to the comp.periphs.scsi FAQ are posted to Usenet during the
            first week of each month (and usually other times too).
            * via World Wide Web (WWW): (I'm looking for mirrors in So. America,
            Africa, Asia, and Australia)

            * http://fieldnet.ne.mediaone.net/SCSI_FAQ/scsi.html (USA)
            * http://www.bluefeathertech.com/technoid/techlinks.html (USA)
            * TheRef FAQ Site (USA)
            * Xavier Serpaggi's mirror (France)

            * via anonymous ftp from:

            * ftp://fieldnet.ne.mediaone.net/scsifaq.html

            Terminators (passive)
            A group of resistors on the physical ends of a single ended SCSI-bus
            (and only on these ends) that dampens reflected signals from the ends
            of the bus. Each terminated signal is connected by:
            o 220 Ohm to +5 volt (TERMPWR)
            o 330 Ohm to ground.

            Terminators (active)
            Rather than passive terminators that use TERMPWR which may not be
            exactly +5v, active terminators use a voltage regulator. Basically it
            is a set of 110 Ohm resistors from each signal to a 2.8 Volt regulated
            Voltage source.
            Single ended
            "Normal" electrical signals. Uses open collector drivers to drive the
            SCSI bus.
            [usually] survives wrong cable insertion.
            DIFFSENSE signal is used to detect connection of differential devices
            and prevent damage.
            The max. length for SCSI-1 is a 6 meter cable with stubs of max 10cm
            allowed to connect a device to the main cable. Most devices are single
            ended.

            Don Hawkinson
            dwhawk@...
          • mike
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
              Anyone know of any decent tape drives that are supported under linux? I need
              about 10-15gb of storage, and must be around $500 each(cost of media is not
              a big deal, just the drive itself). I need two of them.

              I've been looking at the seagate Hornet 20 (10gb native/20gb compressed).
              This one is an IDE. Anyone know anything about these, and their funcionality
              with linux?

              or, I'd even go for a scsi model, but then I need a good scsi card.

              I use DLT drives for most of the machines here, but need something a little
              bit more cost effective for a small project I'm working on.

              Help!

              Mike