Re: [linux] Learning to spell?

  • thad
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30 5:09 PM
      vordoo wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm looking to improve my English spelling, it is a disaster and if you did
      > not notice its because my spell checker is working over time:)
      > Any software recommendations for learning to spell...

      man Aspell

      + Thad Lozada +
      + thad@... +
      + thadphole@... +
      + =====================================================+
      + "Nobody knows what's going to happen to everybody +
      + except the forlorn rag of growing old."-Jack Kerouac+
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
        On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 00:27:38 +0200, "vordoo" <vordoo@...> wrote:

        > I'm looking to improve my English spelling, it is a disaster and if you
        > did not notice its because my spell checker is working over time:)
        > Any software recommendations for learning to spell...

        I don't know if software will really help you. A spell checker can help you
        to a limited extent if you take time to watch what it does, but you must
        also be aware that many spell checkers do *not* check grammar or semantics -
        for example, the phrase "Pleased to meat you" would probably pass a spell
        check because all the words are spelled correctly, even though one of the
        words is wrongly used ("meat" should be "meet").

        Printed books and language courses are your best source of good English
        language. Much proofreading goes into printed material, whereas online
        documents are often stuffed full of spelling and/or grammar mistakes.

        | G. Stewart -- gstewart@... |
        | Port de Pontille, FR-37500 CHINON, FRANCE. |
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
          vordoo wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm looking to improve my English spelling, it is a disaster and if you did
          > not notice its because my spell checker is working over time:)
          > Any software recommendations for learning to spell...

          Newsfroups. Not exactly software, but if your posts contain spelling or
          grammar errors you're sure to be flamed by 20 people at once - improves your
          spelling no end ;)))

          Seriously though, I'm not sure if there are any Linux programs to help
          train your spelling - there's a number of checkers, but no interactive
          courses AFAIK.

          Chris
          --
          .------{ http://www.starforge.co.uk }-----. .--------------------------.
          =[ Explorer2260, Designer and Coder \=\ P: TexMaker, ROACH, site \
          • Dave Markowitz
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
              On Monday 01 October 2001 05:34, you spake thusly:

              ^

              > grammar errors you're sure to be flamed by 20 people at once - improves
              > your spelling no end ;)))

              Like the one above. :-) (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

              > Seriously though, I'm not sure if there are any Linux programs to help
              > train your spelling - there's a number of checkers, but no interactive
              > courses AFAIK.

              I suggest using a mail client that has a spellchecker. Use it for every
              message sent and you're bound to improve over time.

              --
              Dave Markowitz Y! Messenger dave_markowitz
              dave@... AIM frodo527

            • Chris
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2001
                Dave Markowitz wrote:

                >>Newsfroups. Not exactly software, but if your posts contain spelling or
                >>
                > ^
                >>grammar errors you're sure to be flamed by 20 people at once - improves
                >>your spelling no end ;)))
                >>

                > Like the one above. :-) (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

                Have a look in the Jargon File on ESR's site ;)

                Chris
                --
                =[___You_will_obey_your_corporate_masters___]==[ Stack: EETmTmTRRSS------ ]