Re: win95 :>)

  • david grant
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 1999
      All the DOS fdisk does for you is creates one primary partition and one extended partition plus enough logical drives in the extended partition to use up all the space. This is DOS up to 6.22. Your primary partition and each logical drive are all limited to 2047MB.

      You have to separately format each primary partition and each logical drive yourself, fdisk will not do it for you.

      The version of DOS that 95B and 98 are built on supports FAT32 and support much larger partition sizes. You can have up to an 8GB primary partition before you start to see cluster size ballooning again. No, this version of fdisk will not format partitions, either. Format is a separate utility.

    • Frank Looper
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 1999
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 1999
          There are several different versions of Partition Magic. There was recently one version that would do FAT32 but was limited to less than 8GB. I haven't kept up with things, I don't know if they have updated it beyond that version or not.

        • james sullivan
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 1999
            >> Does Partition Magic work with FAT32? I have a 10.1 gig IBM Deskstar HDD
            >> in
            >> 5 partitions, and only one of them is FAT32. I want to change to one 6
            gig
            >> partition (Win98) and one 4 gig partition (Linux).

            http://www.cs.us.es/pub/Linux/debian/tools/ is a site that carries a program
            called FIPS20.ZIP.......

            "Non-destructively split harddisk partitions (works with FAT32)"

            i used it on an 8 gig hd, and it worked just fine....coupled with lilo, my
            box will boot either linux or windozzzz..

            and its free ;^) hope this helps
          • Timothy
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 1999
              I would make more than one partion for each. Two things make me think that.
              First, especially on large disk you get faster seek time by partion and cutting
              down the space needed to seek. Secondly, I'm able to store all my users files in
              a partion, either windows or linux, failure of the operating system doesn't take
              everything with it. I use a 2 gig pation for windows 95, a one gig partion for
              windows NT, and a 4 gig partion for linux. I have user files stored in a 3 gig
              partion for both my windows operating machines. And a small 850 mg hard drive to
              cover my linux user files, and swap space. I don't think the seek time changes
              much for my linux box, but my windozz needs all the help it can get.

              Partion with Fips is easy, and the version I got with Mandrake cover me up to 10
              gig. But if you want to covert a partion back to windozz, to my knowlegde you
              can't unless you loss the operating system and reinstall