RE: [linux] Connecting via modem after forever via eth0

  • Ed McMan

      Being connected to the shell is just like being in telnet. It really
      does no networking at all. To do the networking you need ppp. What
      exactly is the error you get with kppp and ppp-on?

      | Eddie J Schwartz <EdMcMan@...> http://www.m00.net |
      | AIM: The Cypher ICQ: 35576339 PGP ID: 0x96CDDED4 |
      | "We Trills have an expression--at forty, you think you |
      | know everything. At four hundred, you realize you know |
      | nothing." - Dax, Star Trek Deep Space 9 |

      Message 41 of 41 , Sep 3, 2001
        > Meph, if you chose "Shell", I'm gonna have to throw a few rocks your
        > way... :-P

        > Cause if you have only a shell account, then the system is not going to
        > grant you a PPP connection. It *does* make a difference.

        > <sigh> Give 'em a call, Meph. Tell 'em you want PPP.

        Now, that's ~exactly~ why I'd asked if ppp was possible via a
        shell account in my first post (ptptptptptptptp);-).

        As for upgrading, I'll probably not bother, as I've now found
        three different isp's in my area (quite a range in pricing,
        though) who've contracts with my dsl providor (down from maybe
        seven two years ago). One may or may not be round for long, as
        their prices really seem low, another looks really good at a
        slightly lower price than I was paying before, & they look like
        they'll be round a while. The third -- most & outrageously
        expensive -- I used to tech for. It appears the Russian mafia
        may be funding them for some (?!) reason, so the may be round a
        while too.

        With any luck, I'll not be haing to dial in much longer.

        Thanks for all your help & research. At least it's likely that
        my acting as guine pig has got you a new & improved way to
        connect with your dun script:-).

        Meph