Ban IP ADDRESS from accessing server/website

  • Randy Johnson
    Message 1 of 26 , May 2, 2001
      How do I ban an ipaddress from accessing our server at all. IT won't be
      allowed to connect to the website or any other service on the server.

      thanks

      randy
    • Randy Johnson
      Message 2 of 26 , May 2, 2001
        The kernel is

        2.2.14-5

        Message 3 of 26 , May 3, 2001
          Hi,

          My manager is fed up with the escalating costs of running our mail server
          under NT. I have been given the task of creating a Linux based mail server.

          I have the following Distro's: Mandrake 7.2, TurboLinux 6 and Corel 2. I
          have the 1 CD version of Mandrake from Linux Format.

          Is there any reason I should consider not using one of these distros for the
          mail server?

          What mail server software is available? Which is highly regarded? Where can
          I get info on installing, configuring and administrating said software?

          Regards,

          Evan
        • lbergman
          Message 4 of 26 , May 3, 2001
            > Is there any reason I should consider not using one of these distros for the
            > mail server?

            Being new to Linux you might want to start with Mandrake as it is probably the
            easiest to learn. I have never used it so I am sayin gthis from hear-say.
            Ideally you would do a clean install and then run some kind of utility like
            bastille (spelling?) available from freshmeat.net so you can learn where
            possible holes might be and prevent them.

            > What mail server software is available? Which is highly regarded? Where can
            > I get info on installing, configuring and administrating said software?
            Sendmail.org
            qmail.org
            postfix.org
            exim.org

            I can say from running several mail servers for a couple of years that if I had
            to do it all over again I would not use Sendmail. It is very powerful,
            configurable, and dependable and stable. The downside is that I never intended
            to devote my life to studying Sendmail. It is to complex for what you get out
            of it. There are good alternatives like postfiox and qmail. I am currently
            looking into ditching Sendmail for postfix and UW IMAP for courrier. UW IMAP is
            a security breach waiting to happen.

            In case anyone thought it was secure I can gaurantee you I can read any file on
            your system that the IMAP server has access to, including /etc/password.

            This brings me to another thing. qmail and courrier don't require any user dirs
            or real accounts on the server, a big plus. If you need webmail there are
            several really good IMAP to HTTP gateway's available. Squirrelmail being one.
            (Shameless plug for a pet opensource project)

            You will also want to make sure that the mail server also serves as a DNS
            server. If not for your network at least for itself. Mail no worky so good
            without DNS. The best way to insure your mail server has access to it is to
            have the machine itself run it. Make positive you install Bind 8.2.3 or later
            since the earlier versions are exploitable.

            --
            Lewis Bergman
            Texas Communications
            Message 5 of 26 , May 3, 2001

              +==============================+====================================+
              Message 6 of 26 , May 3, 2001
                On Wed, 02 May 2001, you wrote:
                > How do I ban an ipaddress from accessing our server at all. IT won't be
                > allowed to connect to the website or any other service on the server.

                ipchains -A input -i eth0 -s 111.222.333.444 -j DENY -l

                drop the trailing l to leave out logging.

                --
                Lewis Bergman
                Texas Communications
                Message 7 of 26 , May 3, 2001
                  lbergman wrote:

                  > On Wed, 02 May 2001, you wrote:
                  >
                  >>How do I ban an ipaddress from accessing our server at all. IT won't be
                  >>allowed to connect to the website or any other service on the server.
                  >>

                  > ipchains -A input -i eth0 -s 111.222.333.444 -j DENY -l
                  >
                  > drop the trailing l to leave out logging.

                  This is the 2.2 method but you have to make sure that you have the
                  following enabled in a 2.2 kernel to get this statement to work:

                  Networking Options
                  * Network Firewalls
                  * IP: firewalling

                  The logging in 2.2 goes to /var/adm/messages (in slackware)
                  but 2.4 (iptables) is configurable as to where it goes.

                  Hope this helps
                  Johnny O

                  Message 8 of 26 , May 3, 2001
                    Evan James Dembskey wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >

                    > My manager is fed up with the escalating costs of running our mail server
                    > under NT. I have been given the task of creating a Linux based mail server.
                    >
                    > I have the following Distro's: Mandrake 7.2, TurboLinux 6 and Corel 2. I
                    > have the 1 CD version of Mandrake from Linux Format.
                    >
                    > Is there any reason I should consider not using one of these distros for the
                    > mail server?
                    >
                    > What mail server software is available? Which is highly regarded? Where can
                    > I get info on installing, configuring and administrating said software?
                    >

                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Evan

                    I am "old-school" unix.... Why put GUI's on servers.
                    Unless you have the memory and the CPU and just feel like it.
                    You could run a 300 mailbox corporate e-mail system on a 486 with Linux.
                    (* Slackware was used for this *) :-) shameless plug

                    Now having said that, you can understand why I will not recommend
                    Mandrake nor Corel. They WILL be fine but you will get a lot of fluff.
                    In the core, Linux is Linux is Linux.....
                    I have heard good stuff about Turbo Linux but have not used that myself
                    to comment on it.

                    I use sendmail. It aint pretty but it gets the job done well.
                    The sendmail group has been pretty helpful when I'm in a pinch.
                    Learning sendmail made me realize just how damn reliable
                    EVERY damned step of an e-mail process can be. It is far more
                    than I ever wanted to know. :-)

                    There are no doubt other packages that you could use, but I have only
                    used MMDF and Sendmail. Our MMDF systems are almost all phased out.
                    Bye bye SCO.... I knew thee well.....

                    Hope this helps
                    Johnny O

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 3, 2001
                      > I am "old-school" unix.... Why put GUI's on servers.
                      > Unless you have the memory and the CPU and just feel like it.
                      > You could run a 300 mailbox corporate e-mail system on a 486 with Linux.
                      > (* Slackware was used for this *) :-) shameless plug
                      true, true, But if this guy hasn't ever used linux before then the learning
                      curve is going to be pretty steep I would bet. If he only knows windows....
                      trying to install Sendmail, POP, IMAP, Procmail, and then administer it from a
                      console... yikes.... If I had no previous Unix expererience that would scare
                      the bahooties out of me. Especially if he has some kind of restrictive
                      deadline. You know how this will go. Or at least for me. I'll get knowhere for
                      hours, and then plink!!, the light goes on and I make some great strides. More
                      hours and plink!!! another stroke and more progress. Then all of a sudden you
                      come in in the morning, do 2 things and what you thought would never work is
                      ginning away....

                      Ahhh, the life of an underqualified, below-average-intelligence admin.

                      --
                      Lewis Bergman
                      Texas Communications
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 3, 2001
                        > I am "old-school" unix.... Why put GUI's on servers.
                        > Unless you have the memory and the CPU and just feel like it.
                        > You could run a 300 mailbox corporate e-mail system on a 486 with Linux.
                        > (* Slackware was used for this *) :-) shameless plug
                        I have to agree totally here <g>. I'm currently running, all be it much
                        smaller ( 5 mailboxes <g> ) plus a web server, firewall, ftp server and
                        Audio galaxy server quite happily on a P75. The distro??? ZipSlack
                        converted to run on ext 2 of course <gg> ). I hasten to add at some point
                        I will get another PC so the Firewall only hosts directly SSH and the
                        firewall the servers will go onto a dedicated server machine.

                        > Now having said that, you can understand why I will not recommend
                        > Mandrake nor Corel. They WILL be fine but you will get a lot of fluff.
                        > In the core, Linux is Linux is Linux.....
                        > I have heard good stuff about Turbo Linux but have not used that myself
                        > to comment on it.
                        If I was doing this project for a business I would do pretty much what
                        I've done at home. Zip Slack and extend as needed. Works a treat <g>. I
                        prefer zipslack simply because it is so basic, I can add to it what I want
                        and not have to trim any rubbish out of it - there isn't any.

                        > I use sendmail. It aint pretty but it gets the job done well.
                        > The sendmail group has been pretty helpful when I'm in a pinch.
                        > Learning sendmail made me realize just how damn reliable
                        > EVERY damned step of an e-mail process can be. It is far more
                        > than I ever wanted to know. :-)
                        I use postfix currently which does the job well and was a doddle to
                        configure ( very handy as I misocnifgured the firewall initially so the
                        sendmail config was completely wrong.)

                        Dom.
                      • John O'Donnell
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 3, 2001
                          lbergman wrote:

                          >>I am "old-school" unix.... Why put GUI's on servers.
                          >>Unless you have the memory and the CPU and just feel like it.
                          >>You could run a 300 mailbox corporate e-mail system on a 486 with Linux.
                          >>(* Slackware was used for this *) :-) shameless plug
                          >>
                          > true, true, But if this guy hasn't ever used linux before then the learning
                          > curve is going to be pretty steep I would bet. If he only knows windows....
                          > trying to install Sendmail, POP, IMAP, Procmail, and then administer it from a
                          > console... yikes.... If I had no previous Unix expererience that would scare
                          > the bahooties out of me. Especially if he has some kind of restrictive
                          > deadline. You know how this will go. Or at least for me. I'll get knowhere for
                          > hours, and then plink!!, the light goes on and I make some great strides. More
                          > hours and plink!!! another stroke and more progress. Then all of a sudden you
                          > come in in the morning, do 2 things and what you thought would never work is
                          > ginning away....
                          >
                          > Ahhh, the life of an underqualified, below-average-intelligence admin.

                          Yup!

                          That's all I can say: Yup! :-)

                          --
                          Darth Vader sleeps with a Teddywookie.
                          === Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===
                          +==============================+====================================+
                          | John O'Donnell (Sr. Systems Engineer, Net Admin, Webmaster, etc.) |
                          | Voice FX Corporation (a subsidiary of Student Advantage) |
                          | One Plymouth Meeting | E-Mail: johnod@... |
                          | Suite 610 | www.voicefx.com |
                          | Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462 | www.campusdirect.com |
                          +==============================+====================================+
                        • Scott Robbins
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 3, 2001
                            > Ahhh, the life of an underqualified, below-average-intelligence admin.

                            Yeah, but my users appreciate my people skills. :)

                            (Oh--sorry, thought you were talking about me.)
                            Scott
                          • lbergman
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 3, 2001
                              On Thu, 03 May 2001, you wrote:
                              > > Ahhh, the life of an underqualified, below-average-intelligence admin.
                              > >

                              > Yeah, but my users appreciate my people skills. :)
                              >
                              > (Oh--sorry, thought you were talking about me.)
                              > Scott
                              Hey, if we were all as good as Johnny only half of us would have jobs!!!

                              As it is, we get to ask John questions, he answers them, then we pretend we
                              already knew it when the boss asks again ; }

                              --
                              Lewis Bergman
                              Texas Communications
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 3, 2001
                                Ahh - well then to summarize, use Bergman's rule:

                                lbergman wrote:
                                > On Wed, 02 May 2001, you wrote:
                                > ipchains -A input -i eth0 -s 111.222.333.444 -j DENY -l
                                >
                                > drop the trailing l to leave out logging.

                                And make sure these are in place:

                                > This is the 2.2 method but you have to make sure that you have the
                                > following enabled in a 2.2 kernel to get this statement to work:
                                >
                                > Networking Options
                                > * Network Firewalls
                                > * IP: firewalling
                                >
                                > The logging in 2.2 goes to /var/adm/messages (in slackware)
                                > but 2.4 (iptables) is configurable as to where it goes.

                                If you want to see what is currently in the chains tables:
                                ipchains -L -n

                                -L list rules
                                -n do not do DNS lookups - just show the IP address

                                Some interesting parameters are -v for more information and
                                --line-numbers so you can delete or add rules from/in certain
                                locations.

                                for more info read the man page...

                                Message 15 of 26 , May 3, 2001
                                  Can allways throw admin tools like webmin on there too. Things like postfix
                                  are a doddle to setup and I havn't had to touch the pop server. Default
                                  works just fine. Mmmmmmmm windows good point might not even know what a text
                                  editor is <ggg>.

                                  Dom.
                                • Dominic Scott
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 4, 2001
                                    > much easier than doing the same with RedHat or slackware.
                                    Can't comment on RedHat but installing postfix on slackware really was a
                                    doddle. Helped by the fact the config file is VERY well documented.

                                    Dom.
                                  • Richard Reynolds
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 4, 2001
                                      just tossing in my opinion
                                      I use Turbo Linux, Redhat and Slack. For beginers Turbo rocks, it is just as
                                      capiable as RedHat but it has packages that are toned down for the guy that has
                                      no clue. I dont use sendmail i opted for Exim(exim.org) i feel it is better, as
                                      someone who participates on way to many lists, and d/l's ok leeches is a better
                                      word, from a ton of others. I also run a emial/web mail service and have about
                                      35 users, excluding myself, and setting up turbo to use
                                      exim/mysql/webmail/imap/pop was a walk in the park. with or with out the gui.
                                      much easier than doing the same with RedHat or slackware.

                                      Well thats my 2cents
                                      Richard Reynolds
                                      Richard.Reynolds@...

                                      On Thu, 3 May 2001, Dominic Scott wrote:

                                      > Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 17:36:44 +0100
                                      > From: Dominic Scott <dominic.scott@...>
                                      > To: linux@yahoogroups.com
                                      > Subject: Re: [linux] Mail server
                                      >
                                      > > I am "old-school" unix.... Why put GUI's on servers.
                                      > > Unless you have the memory and the CPU and just feel like it.
                                      > > You could run a 300 mailbox corporate e-mail system on a 486 with Linux.
                                      > > (* Slackware was used for this *) :-) shameless plug
                                      > I have to agree totally here <g>. I'm currently running, all be it much
                                      > smaller ( 5 mailboxes <g> ) plus a web server, firewall, ftp server and
                                      > Audio galaxy server quite happily on a P75. The distro??? ZipSlack
                                      > converted to run on ext 2 of course <gg> ). I hasten to add at some point
                                      > I will get another PC so the Firewall only hosts directly SSH and the
                                      > firewall the servers will go onto a dedicated server machine.
                                      >
                                      > > Now having said that, you can understand why I will not recommend
                                      > > Mandrake nor Corel. They WILL be fine but you will get a lot of fluff.
                                      > > In the core, Linux is Linux is Linux.....
                                      > > I have heard good stuff about Turbo Linux but have not used that myself
                                      > > to comment on it.
                                      > If I was doing this project for a business I would do pretty much what
                                      > I've done at home. Zip Slack and extend as needed. Works a treat <g>. I
                                      > prefer zipslack simply because it is so basic, I can add to it what I want
                                      > and not have to trim any rubbish out of it - there isn't any.
                                      >
                                      > > I use sendmail. It aint pretty but it gets the job done well.
                                      > > The sendmail group has been pretty helpful when I'm in a pinch.
                                      > > Learning sendmail made me realize just how damn reliable
                                      > > EVERY damned step of an e-mail process can be. It is far more
                                      > > than I ever wanted to know. :-)
                                      > I use postfix currently which does the job well and was a doddle to
                                      > configure ( very handy as I misocnifgured the firewall initially so the
                                      > sendmail config was completely wrong.)
                                      >
                                      > Dom.

                                      ,'' '',
                                      Richard Reynolds ( 0 0 ) La Mesa , Ca
                                      ________________________________oOOo-(_)-oOO___________________________________

                                      E-Mail: Richard.Reynolds@...
                                      IRC: Dalnet #!rsr, rsman
                                      If you are not an intended reciepient of this message, please accept my
                                      appologies, If you recieve more than 1 message that you feel you were not
                                      intended to recieve Please feel free to E-Mail me at
                                      Richard.Reynolds@...
                                      So that I can be certain you do not recieve further E-Mails from this address.
                                    • Sams Place
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 4, 2001
                                        May not answer your question directly, but here is one
                                        place you might visit for further links:
                                        http://www.google.com/linux?site=search&restrict=linux&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=mail+servers
                                        I would think a look at:
                                        http://www.m-tech.ab.ca/linux-biz/esmith.html
                                        and
                                        http://www.trustix.com/products/tsl/
                                        might be worth your while.

                                        I have no personal experience with either, I just have
                                        been reading about them for "future needs" of my own.

                                        GL & GB
                                        Sam

                                        --- Evan James Dembskey <ejd@...> wrote:
                                        > Hi,
                                        >

                                        > My manager is fed up with the escalating costs of
                                        > running our mail server
                                        > under NT. I have been given the task of creating a
                                        > Linux based mail server.
                                        >
                                        > I have the following Distro's: Mandrake 7.2,
                                        > TurboLinux 6 and Corel 2. I
                                        > have the 1 CD version of Mandrake from Linux Format.
                                        >
                                        > Is there any reason I should consider not using one
                                        > of these distros for the
                                        > mail server?
                                        >
                                        > What mail server software is available? Which is
                                        > highly regarded? Where can
                                        > I get info on installing, configuring and
                                        > administrating said software?
                                        >

                                        > Regards,
                                        >
                                        > Evan

                                        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                                      • Sams Place
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 4, 2001
                                          forgot to add ... the reason I suggested e-smith and
                                          trustix is they are distro's which have already done
                                          much towards securing and eliminating the blote that
                                          the distros you mentioned would cause YOU to have to
                                          learn, to secure the server. why reinvent the wheel?
                                          and they are free downloads! spend the bucks on books
                                          to help u with admin stuff...

                                          ymmv,
                                          Sam

                                          --- Evan James Dembskey <ejd@...> wrote:
                                          > Hi,
                                          >

                                          > My manager is fed up with the escalating costs of
                                          > running our mail server
                                          > under NT. I have been given the task of creating a
                                          > Linux based mail server.
                                          >
                                          > I have the following Distro's: Mandrake 7.2,
                                          > TurboLinux 6 and Corel 2. I
                                          > have the 1 CD version of Mandrake from Linux Format.
                                          >
                                          > Is there any reason I should consider not using one
                                          > of these distros for the
                                          > mail server?
                                          >
                                          > What mail server software is available? Which is
                                          > highly regarded? Where can
                                          > I get info on installing, configuring and
                                          > administrating said software?
                                          >

                                          > Regards,
                                          >
                                          > Evan

                                          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                                        • Ed McMan
                                          • Amish K. Munshi
                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 7, 2002
                                              Hi,

                                              Which is the most configurable mail server. I would like to study one
                                              mail client in detail, so I am able to manage a mail server of my own and
                                              try out all possible stuff with it.
                                              I also would like to create a server that can accecpt commands like
                                              yahoo server does (list-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com) and can do the needful.
                                              This is probably going to be a part of my intership project within 2 months
                                              from now.
                                              Thanks in advance.

                                              Bye.
                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 8, 2002
                                                On Wed, 8 May 2002 00:27:33 +0530, "Amish K. Munshi"
                                                <amishmunshi@...> wrote to <linux@yahoogroups.com>:

                                                > Which is the most configurable mail server. I would like to study one
                                                > mail client in detail, so I am able to manage a mail server of my own and
                                                > try out all possible stuff with it.
                                                > I also would like to create a server that can accecpt commands like
                                                > yahoo server does (list-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com) and can do the
                                                > needful.

                                                These are 2 different things.

                                                For the first you need an MTA such as sendmail, postfix or qmail. They all
                                                have their advantages and disadvantages, the advantage of sendmail being
                                                that it it shipped with most distros, its disadvantage being that it isn't
                                                the simplest MTA to set up and lock down (so that you don't become an open
                                                relay).

                                                For the second problem, you'll need to study something like "sympa",
                                                "majordomo" or "mailman". I'm sure a search on google will throw up relevant
                                                links.

                                                | G. Stewart -- gstewart@... |
                                                | Port de Pontille, FR-37500 CHINON, FRANCE. |
                                              • zingalamadunius@phreaker.net
                                                Message 23 of 26 , May 8, 2002
                                                  I can't tell you which is the most configurable one cause it depends on the
                                                  person who is using it. But according to most Sendmail is the most complex
                                                  and most difficult to learn. Other than this, Postfix and Qmail are easier to
                                                  install & administer.

                                                  HTH.

                                                  On Tuesday 07 May 2002 14:57, you wrote:
                                                  > Hi,
                                                  >
                                                  >     Which is the most configurable mail server. I would like to study one
                                                  > mail client in detail, so I am able to manage a mail server of my own and
                                                  > try out all possible stuff with it.
                                                  >     I also would like to create a server that can accecpt commands like
                                                  > yahoo server does (list-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com) and can do the
                                                  > needful. This is probably going to be a part of my intership project within
                                                  > 2 months from now.
                                                  >     Thanks in advance.
                                                  >

                                                  > Bye.
                                                • Paul Thompson
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Apr 26, 2003
                                                    hello,

                                                    I would like to set up my computer to allow me to send/get e-mail on it.
                                                    I will be getting cable soon, so i will have a static IP. What do I
                                                    need to do?

                                                    thnx
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Apr 26, 2003
                                                      And Thus Spake "Paul Thompson" <prtsoft@...> (on Sat, 26 Apr 2003
                                                      12:59:10 -0000):

                                                      > I would like to set up my computer to allow me to send/get e-mail on it.
                                                      > I will be getting cable soon, so i will have a static IP. What do I
                                                      > need to do?

                                                      You need to install and configure an MTA such as sendmail, postfix, qmail,
                                                      exim or whatever takes your fancy. Personally, I use sendmail. Some prefer
                                                      others.

                                                      Whichever MTA you choose, please make VERY sure that it DOES NOT act as an
                                                      open relay, otherwise literally any netizen (read: spammer) will be able to
                                                      use your machine to crap in everybody's inbox and you'll end up on blocking
                                                      lists all over the place.

                                                      Also, if you're using proxy software such as squid, make VERY sure you're
                                                      NOT an open proxy for the same reasons as above.

                                                      --
                                                      G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
                                                      Registered Linux user #284683
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Apr 26, 2003
                                                        On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 12:59:10PM -0000, Paul Thompson wrote:
                                                        > hello,
                                                        >
                                                        > I would like to set up my computer to allow me to send/get e-mail on it.
                                                        > I will be getting cable soon, so i will have a static IP. What do I
                                                        > need to do?

                                                        A lot of reading. :)

                                                        Seriously, it's not horribly difficult, but not (at least a year or two
                                                        ago, when I last did it) not all that easy either.

                                                        I used Postfix, which is fairly straightforward to configure. Sendmail
                                                        is still the default on some distributions, however.

                                                        I found the FreeBSD handbook's section on sendmail helpful, even for
                                                        Postfix and even on Linux. I also found the Gentoo desktop guide
                                                        helpful as well, especially for Gentoo. :)

                                                        The first can be found at www.freebsd.org and the 2nd at www.gentoo.org

                                                        There will no doubt be distribution specific issues. Still, I'd
                                                        recommend Postfix over sendmail, it's not quite intuitive, but simpler
                                                        to set up (imho).

                                                        Giles: Alright. I'll just jump into my time machine, go back to
                                                        the 12th century and ask the vampires to postpone their ancient
                                                        prophecy for a few days while you take in dinner and a show.
                                                        Buffy: Okay, at this point you're abusing sarcasm.