port113IDENT

  • þ-]oon
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2001
      Hello again !

      To start i would like to say that i was able to configure my keyboard
      (finally) thru /etc/X11/XF86config :) It seems i passed over it. Go figure.

      Now i have another problem.
      After i fixed my keyboard and being able to work faster, i spent all night
      configuring my firewall.
      Now here's what.
      I don't know if you guys remember i mentioned a site for testing open ports
      (www.grc.com[for windows])? In case you don't, the conclusions i have taken
      from testing my ports on it was that root gave port 113 IDENT access but a
      non-super-privileged user didn't. But now after i reinstalled the firewall
      it always gives me that port open.

      What can i could to close it? Which daemons can i be running that opens it?
      Is my firewall wrong?
      Is IDENTd got anything to do with it?

      Please help this newbie

      'Till

      elf | þ-]oon
    • lbergman
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2001
        On Tue, 01 May 2001, you wrote:
        > Hello again !
        >
        > To start i would like to say that i was able to configure my keyboard
        > (finally) thru /etc/X11/XF86config :) It seems i passed over it. Go figure.
        >
        > Now i have another problem.
        > After i fixed my keyboard and being able to work faster, i spent all night
        > configuring my firewall.
        > Now here's what.
        > I don't know if you guys remember i mentioned a site for testing open ports
        > (www.grc.com[for windows])? In case you don't, the conclusions i have taken
        > from testing my ports on it was that root gave port 113 IDENT access but a
        > non-super-privileged user didn't. But now after i reinstalled the firewall
        > it always gives me that port open.
        >
        > What can i could to close it? Which daemons can i be running that opens it?
        > Is my firewall wrong?
        > Is IDENTd got anything to do with it?

        If you block access to port 113 then it really doesn't matter does it. On the
        other hand if it is only open when you log in as root, why not look at the
        /root/.bash_profile adn .bashrc to see if they start something on it.

        --
        Lewis Bergman
        Texas Communications
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2001
          > If you block access to port 113 then it really doesn't matter does it.
          What?!!

          > On the
          > other hand if it is only open when you log in as root, why not look at the
          > /root/.bash_profile adn .bashrc to see if they start something on it.
          I don't think you read it carefully.
          On my previous install of the firewall it showed open to root but not to the
          user, now i reinstalled Linux (and the firewall) and it shows open on both!!
          Why?! And how to fix it? And is IDENTd got anything to do with it? As for
          IDENTd i assume it's a IDENTdaemon, correct?!

          elf | þ-]oon
        • lbergman
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2001
            On Tue, 01 May 2001, you wrote:
            > > If you block access to port 113 then it really doesn't matter does it.
            > What?!!
            >
            > > On the
            > > other hand if it is only open when you log in as root, why not look at the
            > > /root/.bash_profile adn .bashrc to see if they start something on it.
            > I don't think you read it carefully.
            > On my previous install of the firewall it showed open to root but not to the
            > user, now i reinstalled Linux (and the firewall) and it shows open on both!!
            > Why?! And how to fix it? And is IDENTd got anything to do with it? As for
            > IDENTd i assume it's a IDENTdaemon, correct?!
            I am not sure what you mean "reinstalled the firewall". If you used some kind
            of script to generate the firewall then modify the result to drop, reject, log,
            or redirect any calls to port 113. I really don't get what the problem is.

            --
            Lewis Bergman
            Texas Communications
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2001
              > I am not sure what you mean "reinstalled the firewall". If you used some
              kind
              > of script to generate the firewall then modify the result to drop, reject,
              log,
              > or redirect any calls to port 113. I really don't get what the problem is.
              >
              > --
              > Lewis Bergman
              > Texas Communications
              > 4309 Maple St.
              > Abilene, TX 79602
              > 915-695-6962

              I'll explain. The Firewall i got is a script written by someone indeed. When
              i mean reinstalled it's more like reconfigured because the script is written
              for ADSL connection but it has options for cable modem which is my
              situation. After i do this i can also modify it for certain port activity
              but as a newbie on this (linux and internet) i'm not sure if i can just deny
              acess to port 113 just like that. Do you understand?
              As you suggest i can drop, reject and/or log that port but then woun't i be
              denied to the internet in a case of bad configuration? I guess i can try
              many configurations like input/output behaviours (maybe i'll do that) but in
              a meantime what is supposed to be the best configuration for the port 113?

              Bye

              Thanks

              elf | þ-]oon
            • lbergman
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2001
                > I'll explain. The Firewall i got is a script written by someone indeed. When
                > i mean reinstalled it's more like reconfigured because the script is written
                > for ADSL connection but it has options for cable modem which is my
                > situation. After i do this i can also modify it for certain port activity
                > but as a newbie on this (linux and internet) i'm not sure if i can just deny
                > acess to port 113 just like that. Do you understand?
                > As you suggest i can drop, reject and/or log that port but then woun't i be
                > denied to the internet in a case of bad configuration? I guess i can try
                > many configurations like input/output behaviours (maybe i'll do that) but in
                > a meantime what is supposed to be the best configuration for the port 113?

                I would just drop those packets. The only time your ISP might stop routing
                packets from you is if you are spewing bad routes or some such to thier router.
                Just find an entry similiar to what you want and copy it. You should be able
                to use any rule with a -j and DENY or DROP and just add the port 113 to the
                interface to block that port. John is the firewall guru of sorts so I might be
                off here, especially working from my faulty memory.

                --
                Lewis Bergman
                Texas Communications
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2001
                  > I would just drop those packets. The only time your ISP might stop routing
                  > packets from you is if you are spewing bad routes or some such to thier
                  router.
                  I guess that can't be totally correct 'cause if i deny access on my port 80
                  i won't see webpages will I?
                  Maybe some packets will be transfered but not thru HTTP. That's my doubt!!
                  Are there any services that really need the 113th port?
                  Hope you get this...

                  > Just find an entry similiar to what you want and copy it. You should be
                  able
                  > to use any rule with a -j and DENY or DROP and just add the port 113 to
                  the
                  > interface to block that port.
                  K. I'll try that.

                  John is the firewall guru of sorts so I might be
                  > off here, especially working from my faulty memory.
                  John, where are you?!

                  > --
                  > Lewis Bergman
                  > Texas Communications
                  > 4309 Maple St.
                  > Abilene, TX 79602
                  > 915-695-6962

                  Thanks Bergman
                  elf | þ-]oon
                • Lewis Bergman
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2001
                    >> I would just drop those packets. The only time your ISP might stop
                    >> routing packets from you is if you are spewing bad routes or some such
                    >> to thier
                    > router.
                    > I guess that can't be totally correct 'cause if i deny access on my
                    > port 80 i won't see webpages will I?
                    That has nothing to do with what THEY are doing though. Secondly, only if
                    you deny OUTBOUND, if you only deny INBOUND port 80 it won't because the
                    server is going to reassign you to a port above 1000. You can see an
                    example if you go to my support page. You hit it on 80 but take note what
                    port you are directed to. http://abi.tconline.net/support/

                    > Maybe some packets will be transfered but not thru HTTP. That's my
                    > doubt!! Are there any services that really need the 113th port?
                    > Hope you get this...
                    no, not that I know of. It is strictly for admin use. If any process does
                    need it it should access it through lo or 127.0.0.1 ( same thing ) so you
                    can safely block it from the outside world.

                    >> Just find an entry similiar to what you want and copy it. You should
                    >> be
                    > able
                    >> to use any rule with a -j and DENY or DROP and just add the port 113
                    > the
                    >> interface to block that port.
                    > K. I'll try that.
                    >
                    > John is the firewall guru of sorts so I might be
                    >> off here, especially working from my faulty memory.
                    > John, where are you?!

                  • Ed McMan

                      Ident doesn't really do anything unless you're on IRC or have a lot
                      of other people using your machine, and other admins might possibly
                      need to identify them for abuse purposes. Whether you deny it or not
                      doesn't make a huge difference.

                      | Eddie J Schwartz <EdMcMan@...> http://www.m00.net |
                      | AIM: The Cypher ICQ: 35576339 PGP ID: 0x96CDDED4 |
                      | "Hard work pays off later. Procrastination pays off now" |