Re: [linux] Re: Window Managers

  • robin
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
      TyBoer wrote:

      > For me the best WM is KDE. I am still a beginner and find this one very
      > friendly. People who used Windows will very easy find themselves in this
      > enviroment and soon they will start to consider it much better and easier
      > then M$ product.

      I'm in a similar position. KDE is a bit slower to load than GNOME (and
      a lot slower than, say IceWM); OTOH, if you use KDE apps, they seem to
      open faster when KDE is already up and running.

      If you want to win Windows users over to KDE, you might consider a bit
      of information/propaganda. You can see an example of a guide I wrote
      for my workmates at www.bilkent.edu.tr/~robin/linuxguide.pdf .
      Obviously a lot of this is specific to our department, but you might
      pick up some ideas (cut and paste all you like - this isn't
      copyrighted). Points to emphasise are:

      1. You can change the layout of windows to something more like Windows
      by right-clicking on the top bar and selecting Decoration (some people
      don't like the KDE2 default of having the "close" button on the left).

      2. Konqueror kicks ass.

      Robin
    • robin
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
        Tom Albrecht wrote:

        > At 08:20 PM 3/1/01 +0100, you wrote:
        > >For me the best WM is KDE. I am still a beginner and find this one very
        > >friendly. People who used Windows will very easy find themselves in this
        > >enviroment and soon they will start to consider it much better and easier
        > >then M$ product.
        >
        > Yeah, i like KDE, too... but it's a memory hog. I'm looking for something
        > that is going to be running about 20-30 instances simultaneously. KDE, I
        > think, is too large for this.

        IceWM looks a bit like Windows and goes like greased lightning.

        Robin
      • Dominic Scott
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
          > IceWM looks a bit like Windows and goes like greased lightning.
          I agree, haven't had a look at how easy configuration and customization is
          but it's certainly got a familiar look and feel and is a LOT lighter that
          KDE.

          BTW where can I get more info on Ice? I used it on Mandrake 7.2 and it was
          installed by default. I will however be using it in anger shortly on
          SUSE6.1/2.2.18/xfree 3 so would like to customize it etc. and learn how to
          set it up.

          Dom.
        • robin
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001