Re: A/B Switches for keyboard, mouse & monitor

  • Winky Chow
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1, 1999
      Belkin makes an awesome switch box.

      OmniCube 2 port and 4 port switch box.

      the cool function is that it is digital. if ya hit scroll lock 2x and then
      the corresponding computer number port it will goto that computer terminal.

      the 2 port is about 100 bucks the 4 port is like 150.

      its a great investment I got a home grown lan and spliting my linux server
      and winbox off a the cube.

      -Winky
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 2, 1999
        "Winky Chow" <dbz@...> wrote:

        > Belkin makes an awesome switch box.
        >
        > OmniCube 2 port and 4 port switch box.
        >
        > the cool function is that it is digital. if ya hit scroll lock
        > 2x and then
        > the corresponding computer number port it will goto that computer
        > terminal.
        >
        > the 2 port is about 100 bucks the 4 port is like 150.
        >
        > its a great investment I got a home grown lan and spliting my linux server
        > and winbox off a the cube.
        ---
        FWIW, I've just bought a Belkin OmniView SE (4 port). The manufacturer's
        blurb states that this box is suitable for a mix of PS/2 and AT
        mice/keyboards -- and it will support video resolutions up to 1600x1200.
        This box is supposed to present 'dummy' peripherals to computers when they
        are not connected to the real keyboard/mouse/monitor. Thus, the vendors
        tell me, even NT will boot OK while connected to the 'dummy' peripherals.
        Price is about 150 UK pounds for the switch and 12 to 13 UK pounds for a 3
        metre cable kit (you need one kit for each computer).

        Unfortunately, the cabling arrived without some necessary PS/2 to AT
        adaptors -- so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Until I get the
        necessary adaptors, I'm running my Linux boxes without mice and monitors
        (controlling them via telnet) because I need the space more local control.
        If you will never need local control of the linux boxes, this could be the
        cheapest method.

        HTH,

        Geoff Lane
        Cornwall, UK
        geoff@...
      • Alex Esterly
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 2, 1999
          Belkin, Apex, and Cybex all make switches that work great with Linux and
          others. Make sure that you have all of the cable genders correct when you
          go to get cables because they tend to do things a little backward and often
          require gender benders. I think all models that these manufacturers make
          are PS/2 and serial capable.

          Alex

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 2, 1999
            On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:42:07 -0500, JoelG <joelg@...> wrote:

            >From: JoelG <joelg@...>
            >
            >Not sure on the price, you can find them at sources such as Tech Data,
            >HyTech, and a few computer stores. I forget the brand name that I've
            >used, but just ask for one that has ps/2 connections, if it has them
            >then it should work just fine.

            yea I have one with a ps/2 connections and it doesnt work fine.. got
            it from cyberguys.com.. works good for everything but mouse.
            thanks
          • jimarnold@xxxxxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 2, 1999
              I have owned and used a belkin 4 port omniview for some time. Mine will use
              either ps2 or serial but not both and because only certain mice can be seen
              at boot I leave the unit on 24/7 which seems to cure the mouse selection
              problem at boot.

              On Fri, 2 Apr 1999 10:21:14 +0100, Geoff Lane wrote:

              > From: "Geoff Lane" <geoff@...>
              >
              > "Winky Chow" <dbz@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Belkin makes an awesome switch box.
              > >
              > > OmniCube 2 port and 4 port switch box.
              > >
              > > the cool function is that it is digital. if ya hit scroll lock
              > > 2x and then
              > > the corresponding computer number port it will goto that computer
              > > terminal.
              > >
              > > the 2 port is about 100 bucks the 4 port is like 150.
              > >
              > > its a great investment I got a home grown lan and spliting my linux
              server
              > > and winbox off a the cube.
              > ---
              > FWIW, I've just bought a Belkin OmniView SE (4 port). The manufacturer's
              > blurb states that this box is suitable for a mix of PS/2 and AT
              > mice/keyboards -- and it will support video resolutions up to 1600x1200.
              > This box is supposed to present 'dummy' peripherals to computers when
              they
              > are not connected to the real keyboard/mouse/monitor. Thus, the vendors
              > tell me, even NT will boot OK while connected to the 'dummy' peripherals.
              > Price is about 150 UK pounds for the switch and 12 to 13 UK pounds for a
              3
              > metre cable kit (you need one kit for each computer).
              >
              > Unfortunately, the cabling arrived without some necessary PS/2 to AT
              > adaptors -- so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Until I get the
              > necessary adaptors, I'm running my Linux boxes without mice and monitors
              > (controlling them via telnet) because I need the space more local
              control.
              > If you will never need local control of the linux boxes, this could be
              the
              > cheapest method.
              >
              > HTH,
              >
              > Geoff Lane
              > Cornwall, UK
              > geoff@...

              > select the Member Center link from the menu bar on the left.
              > Titanic 12 ... Hindenburg Zeppelin 37 ... Microsoft Windows 98

            • Geoff Lane
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 4, 1999
                Hi All,

                I've now got my Belkin OmniView SE 4-port KVM box running with two computers
                connected. Overall, I'm extremely pleased. The box allows video
                resolutions of up to 1280 x 1024 in XF86, and 1600 x 1200 in Win98, without
                any discernible degradation of video quality. FWIW, I couldn't get the
                higher resolution in XF86 before fitting the Belkin switch!

                With the Belkin switch, and under Windows, the mouse has a considerably
                lower resolution than without the box. FWIW, I've set the pointer speed to
                maximum, but it's still a little slow for my taste.

                Also under Windows, the OS chose the wrong display mode when I booted the
                computer 'blind'. This means that I need to switch to the Windows computer
                while it boots. However, once the machine is up and running, I can switch
                to and fro without problems.

                In summary, these are the only two issues that I have with the Belkin
                switch. However, I can live with these issues. On the whole, the Belkin
                switch works extremely well.

                HTH,

                Geoff Lane
                Cornwall, UK