Phoebe 10/100 Fast Ethernet card

  • John O'Donnell,x3033
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 1999
      > From: rawnerve@... (Mark Cook)
      >
      > Using RedHat 5.2 Server installation
      >
      > I have the Phoebe 10/100 net card, It comes with
      > linux drivers which i tried to install how the
      > text says but it would not work, after many hours
      > (My 1st attempt at linux - but hey i lov it already)
      > anyway... i got it to load the driver module manually
      > but still cannot run the netcfg in redhat without
      > getting these errors...
      >
      > File "/usr/lib/rhs/netcfg/netcfg.py", line 24, in ?
      > from rhtkinter import *
      > File "/usr/lib/rhs/python/rhtkinter.py", line 52, in ?
      > e = Entry()
      > File "/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1288 in __init__
      > Widget.__init__(self, master, 'entry', cnf, kw)
      > File "/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1042 in __init__
      > BaseWidget._setup(self, master, cnf)
      > File "/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1017 in __setup
      > _default_root = Tk()
      > File "/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1288 in __init__
      > self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className)
      > TclError: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable
      >
      > Any ideas?

      Yeah - I know nothing of TCL but how to run it, I know nothing of python,
      I know not of RedHat, but no $DISPLAY?? That is an X error. Are you running
      Xwindows at all? This program looks like it was designed to be a GUI.
      If you are in X, make sure you have a DISPLAY variable set up.
      You can check this by: echo $DISPLAY
      If you get nothing, set this via:
      DISPLAY=[hostname]:0.0
      export DISPLAY

      Hope this helps
      Johnny O

      | University, n.: Like a software house, except the software's free, |
      | and it's usable, and it works, and if it breaks they'll quickly |
      | tell you how to fix it, and ... |
      +==============================+========================================+
      | John O'Donnell (Sr. Systems Engineer, Webmaster, Network Admin, etc.) |
      | Voice FX Corporation | Phone: (610)941-1000 |
      | 1100 E. Hector Street | Fax: (610)941-9844 |
      | Suite 416 | E-Mail: johnod@... |
      | Conshohocken, PA 19428 | www.voicefx.com |
      | | www.campusdirect.com |
    • rawnerve@xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 1999
        I was and still able to use X with no problems... even installed kde from
        the cd without problems... but i have not been working from inside X. this
        error only pops up when running the netcfg to configure the network
        settings... Just tried what you suggested and echo $DISPLAY came up dry,
        and i set it and ran netcfg with the same results, Thanks for the info!